Rube Goldberg Machine Project Help

In summary, the conversation discussed the options for a project in physics class, with the choice between building a miniature roller coaster or a rube goldberg machine. The person speaking expressed interest in building a rube goldberg machine and asked for recommendations for simple machines to include. Another person in the conversation provided a definition and example of a rube goldberg machine.
themusicman118
Last week my physics teacher, Nate Sloan, told us that we would be having a project during the quarter. He gave us the options of building a miniature roller coaster, or building a rube goldberg machine. We chose the rube goldberg machine, and I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations for simple machines to put together to make a rube goldberg machine.

- themusicman118

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give an example of what a Rube Goldberg machine is? I've heard the term before, but don't have a good definition in my head. Something like a complicated mechanism that doesn't really accomplish what it claims, or something like that?

berkeman said:
Can you give an example of what a Rube Goldberg machine is? I've heard the term before, but don't have a good definition in my head. Something like a complicated mechanism that doesn't really accomplish what it claims, or something like that?

Just an absurdly complex machine to achieve a simple task. Rather like those clocks from gadget shops that use marbles to count minutes or the game mouse trap.

What is a Rube Goldberg Machine?

A Rube Goldberg Machine is a complex contraption that performs a simple task in a convoluted and indirect way. It is named after American cartoonist Rube Goldberg who drew illustrations of such machines in the early 20th century.

Why do people make Rube Goldberg Machines?

People make Rube Goldberg Machines for a variety of reasons, including for fun, as a creative challenge, or as a way to learn about physics and engineering principles. Some also use them to demonstrate cause-and-effect relationships in a visually interesting way.

What are the key elements of a Rube Goldberg Machine?

The key elements of a Rube Goldberg Machine are a series of simple machines, such as levers, pulleys, and inclined planes, connected together in a chain reaction. Other common elements include everyday objects like dominoes, balls, and ramps, as well as creative and humorous elements like toy trains, marbles, and even cats!

How do you build a Rube Goldberg Machine?

Building a Rube Goldberg Machine requires a combination of creativity, planning, and trial-and-error. It is important to start with a clear goal in mind and work backwards to figure out the sequence of events. It also helps to have a variety of materials and tools on hand to create the different elements of the machine.

What are some tips for creating a successful Rube Goldberg Machine?

Some tips for creating a successful Rube Goldberg Machine include making sure all the components are securely attached, using materials that are easily triggered and can withstand multiple uses, and incorporating elements that are visually interesting and entertaining. It is also important to test and troubleshoot the machine as you build it to ensure it works smoothly and achieves the desired result.