Force Between the Strands of DNA Molecule.

In summary, the question is asking for the force between two DNA molecules, with the direction being not important. The relevant equations are Coulomb's law and the attempt at a solution involves calculating the attractive and repulsive forces between different molecules. The correct calculation for the force between two specific bonds is provided, but the calculation for another bond needs to include the repulsive force as well.
MarkusNaslund19

Homework Statement

The question can be found on this link. It is the last question, the one with the DNA molecules. Prof said that the direction is not important, he is just looking for a magnitude.

http://www.phys.uvic.ca/medphys/people/AJ/Courses/Phys216/Assignments/P216-A1-2007.pdf

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law: F=kQq/r^2, where k is 8.987x10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get the force between the O and H-N combination of molecules...I think.

For thymine and adenine:

F1 = k(0.2e)(0.4e)/(0.280nm - 0.1nm)^2 for the first bond between adenine and thymine.

But I don't know how to get the force between N and H-N.

Are there H's connected to those Nitrogen atom's? If so, would the force just be

F2 = k(0.4e)(0.4e)/(0.300nm - 0.1nm)^2

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
MarkusNaslund19 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get the force between the O and H-N combination of molecules...I think.

For thymine and adenine:

F1 = k(0.2e)(0.4e)/(0.280nm - 0.1nm)^2 for the first bond between adenine and thymine.
This is only one half of the calculation of the force from the upper bond. You've have correctly calculated the attractive force between O...H, but you also need to calculate the repulsive force between O...N. Remember, you are calculating the net force between the O and the N-H combination (in your own words).

But I don't know how to get the force between N and H-N.

Are there H's connected to those Nitrogen atom's? If so, would the force just be

F2 = k(0.4e)(0.4e)/(0.300nm - 0.1nm)^2
I don't understand your question about H connected to N, but the calculation you need to do here is exactly the same as the one for the previous bond. Again, you've done half the calculation; you need to include the N...N repulsion.

What is the force between the strands of a DNA molecule?

The force between the strands of a DNA molecule is known as the hydrogen bonding force. This force is created by the attraction between the nitrogenous bases of the two strands, specifically between adenine and thymine, and between guanine and cytosine.

How strong is the force between the strands of a DNA molecule?

The hydrogen bonding force between the strands of a DNA molecule is relatively weak, with a strength of about 2-5 kcal/mol. This allows for the separation and unwinding of the DNA strands during processes such as DNA replication and transcription.

What factors can affect the force between the strands of a DNA molecule?

The force between the strands of a DNA molecule can be affected by factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of certain chemicals. Changes in these factors can disrupt the hydrogen bonding force and potentially lead to DNA damage or mutations.

How does the force between the strands of a DNA molecule contribute to its stability?

The hydrogen bonding force between the strands of a DNA molecule is a crucial component of its stability. Without this force, the two strands would not be held together, and the DNA molecule would unravel. Additionally, the specific base pairing allows for accurate replication and maintenance of genetic information.

Can the force between the strands of a DNA molecule be manipulated?

Yes, the hydrogen bonding force between the strands of a DNA molecule can be manipulated through various chemical and biochemical processes. This can be useful in genetic engineering and biotechnology, where specific DNA sequences can be targeted for manipulation or modification.