Inequalities Help Fix Tex Error

• Thread starter Trail_Builder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalities
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with manipulating an inequality and finding the set of real numbers that satisfy it. The individual asks for clarification on their solution and is given suggestions on how to solve it correctly, leading to the correct solution of 1/2 < x < 1. They also discuss the importance of understanding the properties of a cubic graph in solving this type of problem.
Trail_Builder
stupid error in the "tex" thing, see first post.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
damn latex keeps screwing up see next post, soz

Last edited:
just starting to learn some stuff on inequalities and need some help. Not sure where to put this topic, so move it if necessary. thnx

Heres one problem I think I've solved but need clarification from you it's right or where I've gone wrong. I also may have missed an obvious solution but I am going off a very short and "concise" introduction to inequalities so I havn't really got a full understanding of how to solve a given problem. Thnx

Find the set of real numbers [tex] x \neq 0[/tex] such that [tex]2x + 1/x < 3[/tex]:

I then manipulated 2x + 1/x < 3 to get to

[tex]\frac{(2x-1)(x-1)}{x} < 0[/tex]

Im pretty sure up till there is right, but it's the next stage that I think my working in dubious. I'm pretty sure I can't times both sides by x because it could be negative, could be positive.

I know [tex]\frac{(2x-1)(x-1)}{x}[/tex] is negative. Because its less than O. This means that either 2x-1, x-1, or x is negative, or all 3. I kinda think all that makes sense.

(this is where is gets real dubious lol).

So, the following are the options.

2x-1>0, x-1<0, x>0
or
2x-1>0, x-1>0, x<0
or
2x-1<0, x-1<0, x<0
or
2x-1<0, x-1>0, x>0

which cancels too

x>1/2, x<1, x>0
or
x>1/2, x>1, x<0
or
x<1/2, x<1, x<0
or
x<1/2, x>1, x>0

the 2nd and 4th possiblilities are impossible so that leaves

1/2>x<1
or
x<0

the first doesn't work either because it says find real numbers and subbing in "1" give 3<3, which is false.

so then i conclude the answer has to be [tex]x \leq -1[/tex]

is this right? i know i probably did it wrong, but need to know where I went wrong, thnx.

should be fine now, fixed the latex.

Trail_Builder said:
Find the set of real numbers [tex] x \neq 0[/tex] such that [tex]2x + 1/x < 3[/tex]:

I then manipulated 2x + 1/x < 3 to get to

[tex]\frac{(2x-1)(x-1)}{x} < 0[/tex]

Im pretty sure up till there is right, but it's the next stage that I think my working in dubious. I'm pretty sure I can't times both sides by x because it could be negative, could be positive.

The easiest thing to do is multiply both sides by x^2, which you know will be non-negative. This gets you to,

[tex] (2x-1)(x-1)(x) < 0[/tex]

This a cubic with three real roots at x=0, x=1/2 and x=1. Make a quick sketch of it if you like, it's easy to see that it is negative for x < 0 and for 1/2 < x < 1.

BTW: You don't really need to sketch it, that was just a suggestion in case you where not already familar with what a cubic looks like. If you are familar with a cubic you'll know that a positive cubic (x^3 term positive) will go from -ive to +ive through the first zero, from +ive to -ive through the second zero and so on. So it's not hard to figure out where it is negative.

Last edited:
o rite i see

was my answer correct?

Trail_Builder said:
...the 2nd and 4th possiblilities are impossible so that leaves

1/2>x<1
or
x<0

No, it's not 1/2 > x < 1, in fact, it should read:

1/2 < x < 1

the first doesn't work either because it says find real numbers and subbing in "1" give 3<3, which is false.

so then i conclude the answer has to be [tex]x \leq -1[/tex]is this right? i know i probably did it wrong, but need to know where I went wrong, thnx.

No, you don't substitute "1" in. 1/2 < x < 1, x = 1 does not satisfy the requirement. The solution is 1/2 < x < 1, so if you want to check, well take any x that is greater than 1/2, and less than 1, you can choose .999, but definitely not 1. Can you see why? :)

Btw, how did you get x <= -1? You should note that x is a real number, not an integer.

There's a more common method, are you familiar with drawing tables, and testing the sign on each interval?

o crap haha, misread the question lol. stupid me.

yeah thnx for that, yeah i think the 1/2 > x < 1 was a typo.

1. How do inequalities help fix Tex error?

Inequalities can help fix Tex errors by providing a range of values that can be used to solve the equation or expression. By using inequalities, you can narrow down the possible solutions and identify the exact cause of the error.

2. What are some common types of inequalities used to fix Tex error?

Some common types of inequalities used to fix Tex error include linear inequalities, quadratic inequalities, and rational inequalities. These can be solved using various methods such as graphing, substitution, or elimination.

3. Can inequalities be used to prevent Tex error from occurring?

Yes, inequalities can be used as a preventive measure to avoid Tex error. By establishing a range of values that are acceptable for the variables in an equation, you can ensure that the equation will not produce any errors.

4. Are there any specific rules to follow when using inequalities to fix Tex error?

Yes, there are certain rules that should be followed when using inequalities to fix Tex error. Some of these rules include keeping the inequality sign consistent, avoiding division by zero, and making sure that all terms are accounted for on both sides of the inequality.

5. Can inequalities be applied to all types of equations?

No, inequalities are not applicable to all types of equations. They are mainly used for solving equations and expressions involving inequalities, such as greater than, less than, and not equal to. Inequalities cannot be used for equations that require finding an exact solution.