Why isn't being as skinny as possible healthy?

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
In summary: Milk is a good source of protein and calcium. It is also a good source of other nutrients, such as vitamin D. Dairy products can also be a good source of healthy fats.
Skhandelwal
The less fat we have, the better the circulation. If that's true, then why do we have the optimum weight chart. Instead of that, why shouldn't everyone aim for being as skinny as possible. In my chemistry class, Mr. Young, my teacher and a marathon runner prepares himself for the upcoming marathon by eating no fat but running all the time, he got so skinny, it was unbelievable. But probably was good for his health.

What do you think?

Thx.

Biology news on Phys.org
Fat is an energy storage medium. If you don't eat for some amount of time (12 hours, maybe?) you burn fat to keep alive. Your body knows this and wants to have a reserve just in case it is needed. So if you start getting low on fat, your body starts to burn muscle and alter your body chemistry, metabolism, etc.

Off the top of my head, somewhere around 5% for men and 10% for women is about as low as can be considered healthy.

The less fat we have, the better the circulation
This is flat wrong. When body fat levels get below ~5%-7% problems can develop. Women become amenorrheic, (no menses), for example.

The problem is the deposition of arterial plaque which is usually caused by cholesterol and saturated fats from the Western diet.

There are high-fat diets that do not cause this problem also -Inuit tradtional diet for example - that do not have a lot of saturated fats, rather are high in so-called marine fats.

I don't get what blockage in the blood vessels has to do w/ less fat. If anything, less fat should decrease it since the blockage results from unburned fat.

You need a certain amount of fat to just plain protect the internal organs as well. Your body won't be quick to use that as a source of energy.

And BTW a lot of these g'vmt guidelines for optimum body weight are probably formulated by people that eat donuts, drink lots of soda and go out to lunch every day from the office to places like McDonald's.

Jim

NO, blockage results from cholesterol and plaque and hardening of the arteries from eating the wrong types of fats and lack of physical activity.

You need fat to absorb certain nutrients, also fat is a source of energy and serves as insulation.

I don't like really skinny girls so that's a good reason not to be too skinny. :smile:

I think the most important thing to have is a steady weight. My weight rarely ever changes at all. Other people know changes just about every month or two. Mine will stay within like a pound of like 151 pounds and will never change. The only time it has changed was when I worked out and I went up to 158 pounds or so, but that took awhile. It didn't take a month to do that, and when I stopped it went right back down to 151 pounds after a few months.

And changing your diet constantly is just stupid. It healthy and natural as much as you can. Eating low calorie foods does not mean it's healthy, so don't fall for those labels in the frozen dinner section.

Agreed Jason. Steady weight and steady diet. (but healthy though)

Yo-Yo diets are the worst thing for you!

In all things, moderation. In health and nutrition, a million times moreso*.

*(Drat, I've told myself a billion times not to hyperbolize)

Ok, if that's the case, then if there are guys who work out a lot, they should drink whole milk? What you mean by good kinda fat and bad kind is the diff btw milk and cookies, right?

There are different types of fat. The good ones are called Essential fatty acids (EFAs) and are mono and poly unsaturated fat. The ones to avoid are saturated and especially trans fat. Olive oil, for eaxmple is considered healthy fat, as is fish, flaxseed.

As for your question about milk, milk also has whey and casein protein -- both very helpful in building muscles.

Ok, but doesn't Saturated means pure or concentrated? So the reason its not good for our body is b/c our digestive system is weak? If our digestive system is really good and we drink whole milk, that's should be good for us, right?

I prefer whole milk, and when I'm working out or doing heavy exercise, I'll add a protein (whey based) supplement (Myoplex). But then I add ice cream to the mix. :biggrin:

My diet has a lot of chicken and some pork, with an occasional amount of beef and fish. But I eat a lot more vegetable , fruit and whole grain than of meat.

I also eat a fair amount of cheese.

American Heart Association on Fat.
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4582

Astronuc said:
I prefer whole milk, and when I'm working out or doing heavy exercise, I'll add a protein (whey based) supplement (Myoplex). But then I add ice cream to the mix. :biggrin:

Didn't they teach you in sundae school that ice cream is bad for you? :)

lol, thanks a lot guys

1. Why is being extremely skinny not considered healthy?

Being extremely skinny, or underweight, can lead to a variety of health issues. Some potential problems include a weakened immune system, nutrient deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, and an increased risk for osteoporosis and other bone-related disorders.

2. Can being too skinny be just as harmful as being overweight?

Yes, being underweight can be just as harmful to your health as being overweight. While being underweight is often associated with a lower risk for conditions such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes, it can still lead to other health problems such as weakened bones and a compromised immune system.

3. Isn't it healthier to have a lower body weight?

Not necessarily. Health and weight are not directly correlated. It is possible to be at a lower body weight and still have poor health due to factors such as poor nutrition and lack of exercise. It is important to focus on maintaining a healthy lifestyle rather than striving for a certain weight.

4. What are the potential consequences of trying to be as skinny as possible?

Trying to be as skinny as possible, through restrictive dieting or excessive exercise, can have serious consequences on both physical and mental health. It can lead to nutrient deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, disordered eating habits, and negative body image.

5. Is it possible to be naturally skinny and still be healthy?

Yes, it is possible to have a naturally thin body and still be healthy. However, it is important to focus on maintaining a balanced and nutritious diet and engaging in regular physical activity to support overall health and well-being.