Ford F150 Tow Hooks: 10G's of Force?

• Thread starter platina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centrifuge
In summary, during the Ford F150 commercial that debuted during the Superbowl, Ford claimed that the tow hooks on the truck were subjected to 6g's of force. However, after timing the truck and doing calculations, it was found that the acceleration was actually 10g's. This led to the realization that the commercial was most likely edited and not an actual demonstration. This can be seen in the behind-the-scenes footage where the vehicle appears to be moving faster than it did in the commercial.
platina
In the Ford F150 commerical that debuted during the Superbowl (), Ford says that it subejcted the tow hooks on the truck to 6g's of force.

I timed the period of the truck during the portion in which the narrator is visible on the screen and got 1.80 seconds roughly.

I read online that the truck was swung in a 50 foot circle (http://www.the-signal.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=53067&format=html)

If I use a radius of 25 feet (7.62 meters) for the circle and a period of 1.80 seconds and use v=2(pi)(r)/T I find that the truck goes approximately 27 m/s (60 mph as the article claims).

If I then use a = v^2/r to get the centripetal accleration, I find that the acceleration is 96 m/s^2.

96 m/s^s is more like 10g's, not 6 g's. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you are trying to relate real life physics to TV. Most likely it was not actually spun around as in the commercial. That is just a good editing team. Let's face it that would be very expensive to build, run, and dismantle. So no your math and physics are not wrong. The commercial is.

Doh! You saw it on TV, it must be true!

F-150 centrifuge

check it out
http://www.fordvehicles.com/f150behindthescenes/
It looks like the vehicle was moving faster in the commercial than it appeared in the video of the commercial being taped.
It was an actual demonstration, however. It beats last year's big commercial, which was an F-150 crashing through a giant birthday cake...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe because the force was spread out over the 2 tow hooks?

What is the purpose of Ford F150 Tow Hooks and how much force can they withstand?

The Ford F150 Tow Hooks are designed to provide a secure attachment point for towing or recovery operations. These tow hooks are capable of withstanding up to 10,000 pounds or 10G's of force. This means they can handle heavy loads and challenging towing situations.

Are the Ford F150 Tow Hooks compatible with all models of Ford F150?

Yes, the Ford F150 Tow Hooks are compatible with all models and trims of the Ford F150. They are specifically designed to fit and function on this particular vehicle.

How are the Ford F150 Tow Hooks installed on the vehicle?

The Ford F150 Tow Hooks are typically installed by a professional mechanic or at the dealership. They are bolted onto the frame of the vehicle and may require some minor modifications for proper installation.

Can the Ford F150 Tow Hooks be used for off-road recovery?

Yes, the Ford F150 Tow Hooks are designed to withstand off-road recovery situations. However, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and use caution when using the tow hooks for off-road purposes.

Are the Ford F150 Tow Hooks covered under warranty?

The Ford F150 Tow Hooks are covered under the vehicle's warranty if they were installed by a certified Ford dealership. If they were installed after purchase, they may be covered under the manufacturer's warranty for tow hooks or recovery equipment. It is best to check with your dealership or the manufacturer for specific warranty information.