Blue light and an opaque object

• Thread starter daNAV1GATOR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of what happens when blue light strikes an opaque object with a lower resonance frequency. The possible answers are discussed, including the incorrect answer of the object becoming warm. It is clarified that if the blue light does not meet the material's resonance frequency, it will pass through the object. One source suggests that the blue light should be reflected, while another mentions seeing the blue light on the object. Ultimately, it is concluded that if the blue light is higher in frequency than the object's resonance frequency, it will be reflected by the plasma electrons.
daNAV1GATOR
I need help with a problem that was discussed here on PF also...

Snazzy, (or anybody! =) ] I need your thoughts again please!

QUESTION:
When blue light strikes an opaque object whose resonant frequency is lower than the frequency of blue light, what happens?
A- The amplitude of the vibrations of the electrons in the object become larger.
B- The object becomes warm
C- The blue light is absorbed without reemission
D- The blue light is reflected by the electrons in the object
E- The blue light is transmitted through the object

...This is a very tough one for me...

...'Security''s answer was B, The object becomes warm.

PF Admin Warren ('chroot') said, ""Becomes warm" means the same thing as "vibrates more rapidly." So this is not correct. If the light does not meet the material's "resonant frequency" (this is a bad way to describe this, by the way) then it will pass right through."
----He said "it will pass right through."

This guy on Yahoo! Answers said "Blue light should be reflected"
Another said "You see the blue light on it"

ARGH! I'M SO CONFUSED!

I am open to discuss this problem... if you don't want to give me your answer...
But it's pretty late here in the East Coast... so... well anyway, HELP! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
If the blue light is higher in frequency than the resonance frequency, and since the object is opague (presumably a metal), then the blue light will be reflected by the plasma electrons.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concepts involved. Blue light is a type of electromagnetic radiation with a specific frequency, and opaque objects are materials that do not allow light to pass through them. Resonant frequency refers to the natural frequency at which a material vibrates when energy is applied to it.

Based on these concepts, here is my response:

When blue light strikes an opaque object, the object will absorb the light. This is because the electrons in the object will interact with the blue light, causing them to vibrate at the same frequency as the light. This is known as resonance. However, if the resonant frequency of the object is lower than the frequency of the blue light, the electrons will not be able to vibrate at the same frequency as the light. This means that the light will not be able to transfer its energy to the electrons, and thus, will pass through the object without being absorbed or reflected.

In this scenario, option C is the correct answer. The blue light will be absorbed without re-emission, as the object's resonant frequency is lower than the frequency of the light. This means that the light will not be reflected or transmitted through the object.

It is important to note that the object may still appear to be blue, as the human eye perceives the color of an object based on the wavelengths of light that are reflected off of it. In this case, the blue light that is not absorbed by the object will be reflected off of its surface and reach our eyes, making the object appear blue.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept for you. It is always important to approach scientific problems with a clear understanding of the concepts involved and to critically evaluate different responses before coming to a conclusion.

1. What is blue light?

Blue light is a type of visible light with a wavelength between 450-495 nanometers, which gives it a blue hue. It is part of the electromagnetic spectrum and is emitted by the sun, digital screens, and some artificial light sources.

2. How does blue light affect an opaque object?

Blue light can be absorbed, transmitted, or reflected by an opaque object. The amount of blue light that is absorbed or reflected depends on the material properties of the object, such as its color, texture, and composition.

3. Can blue light pass through an opaque object?

No, by definition, an opaque object does not allow light to pass through it. This means that blue light cannot pass through an opaque object without being absorbed or reflected.

4. What are the potential effects of blue light on an opaque object?

The effects of blue light on an opaque object depend on the object's material properties and the intensity of the blue light. Some materials may absorb blue light and convert it into heat, while others may reflect it and appear bluer in color.

5. How can I protect an opaque object from the effects of blue light?

To protect an opaque object from blue light, you can use a filter or coating that absorbs or reflects blue light. This will reduce the amount of blue light that reaches the object and may prevent any potential damage or color changes.