Photons - Wavelength and Wavepackets

In summary, the relationship between Maxwell waves and Schrodinger waves in relation to the wavelength of light and the "wavelength" of Gaussian envelopes of wave packets is complex and there is no direct proportionality between the two. The wavelength of the smaller sinusoidal parts within the Gaussian envelope is what is referred to as the "wavelength" of light, while the Gaussian envelope is the result of summing these smaller waves. The length of the envelope does not determine the wavelength of the light, unless it approaches the same length.
Usaf Moji
Hi, forgive me if this sound noobish...

For photons, I've been struggling with the interrelationship between Maxwell waves and Schrodinger waves, and further, as to the relationship between the wavelength of light and the "wavelength" of the Gaussian envelopes of wave packets.

(I guess this is only for those who accept that photons can be described using Schrodinger's equation(s) and the idea of wave packets - yeah, I saw that wikipedia note that says otherwise.)

In textbooks, a light wave is often depicted as having little wiggles within a broader Gaussian envelope - like the way they look in this guy's notes:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~sjc/physics1/summer/q25.jpg

I understand that when we speak of the "wavelength" of light, we're referring to the wavelength of the smaller sinusoidal parts within the Gaussian envelope. And I understand that the Gaussian envelope results from summing several of these smaller sinusoidal waves of varying wavelengths (varying due to the uncertainty principle).

So my question is, is the wavelength of the larger Gaussian envelope proportional to the (mean) wavelength of the sinusoids within it? In other words, if all else were equal, would red light have longer envelopes than say blue light?

All responses appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usaf Moji said:
So my question is, is the wavelength of the larger Gaussian envelope proportional to the (mean) wavelength of the sinusoids within it? In other words, if all else were equal, would red light have longer envelopes than say blue light?
The length of the envelope is unrelated to the wave length of the light, unless you go to the extreme where the length of the envelope gets close to the wave length.

I can understand your confusion and appreciate your curiosity about the relationship between Maxwell waves and Schrodinger waves, and how they relate to the wavelength of light and wave packets. Let me try to clarify these concepts for you.

Firstly, Maxwell's equations describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves, including light. These waves are continuous and can be described by a sinusoidal function, with a specific wavelength and frequency. On the other hand, Schrodinger's equation is a quantum mechanical equation that describes the behavior of subatomic particles, including photons. This equation describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, rather than its exact position.

Now, when we talk about the "wavelength" of light, we are referring to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the sinusoidal wave. This is a property of the electromagnetic wave itself, not the particle it is associated with. On the other hand, the "wavelength" of a wave packet refers to the distance between the peaks or troughs of the Gaussian envelope, which is a representation of the particle's probability distribution. This envelope is formed by the superposition of multiple sinusoidal waves with different wavelengths, due to the uncertainty principle.

So, to answer your question, the wavelength of the larger Gaussian envelope is not directly proportional to the mean wavelength of the sinusoids within it. It is a result of the superposition of these waves and can vary depending on the specific combination of sinusoids.

In terms of the color of light, the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave determines its color, with shorter wavelengths corresponding to blue light and longer wavelengths corresponding to red light. However, the wavelength of the wave packet does not determine the color of the light, as it is a property of the particle rather than the wave.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between photons, wavelength, and wave packets. Keep exploring and asking questions, as it is through curiosity and inquiry that we advance our understanding of the world around us.

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries electromagnetic energy. It is the smallest unit of light and behaves as both a wave and a particle.

What is the wavelength of a photon?

The wavelength of a photon is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the electromagnetic wave that it carries. It is measured in units of length, such as nanometers or meters.

How does the wavelength of a photon affect its energy?

The wavelength of a photon is directly proportional to its energy. This means that photons with shorter wavelengths have higher energy, while photons with longer wavelengths have lower energy.

What is a wavepacket of photons?

A wavepacket is a group of photons with similar wavelengths and energies that travel together in a wave-like pattern. This allows them to act as a single unit and interact with matter in a more predictable way.

How are photons and light related?

Photons are the fundamental particles of light, meaning that they make up the electromagnetic wave that we perceive as light. Without photons, there would be no light.