Can I Try Out Ubuntu 8.04 Without Installing it?

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ubuntu
In summary, Ubuntu is a quality OS that is lacking in drivers for a couple of things. The open source drivers fail, and corrupt the OS even after rolling them back. But that's not that critical. I just needed the sound.
vincentm
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Downloading right now, although servers are getting hammered at the moment. I'm hoping to virtualize my XP desktop here at work and format this machine with Ubuntu.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sweet, ubuntu is an excellent OS.

The only drawback for me is a lack of drivers for a couple of things. That's why I'm forced to use XP.

waht said:
Sweet, ubuntu is an excellent OS.

The only drawback for me is a lack of drivers for a couple of things. That's why I'm forced to use XP.

What hardware components are you having trouble with?

I'm having issues with x-fi sound card. There is no Linux support whatsoever. But that's my fault because I got the card before I got into Linux. Also having issues with ATI video card drivers that actually corrupted the whole OS on many occasions.

Dang it, I ordered a CD and got it a while back and now its outdated. Guess I should get another. Love freeware/open source/etc.

If you want to give it a try the excellent wubi is now included on the CD.
It installs Ubuntu into a file on your windows disk and adds it as a boot option to windows, no need to repartition.

waht said:
I'm having issues with x-fi sound card. There is no Linux support whatsoever. But that's my fault because I got the card before I got into Linux. Also having issues with ATI video card drivers that actually corrupted the whole OS on many occasions.

what ATI chipset are you running? Did the Open source drivers work?

vincentm said:
what ATI chipset are you running? Did the Open source drivers work?

The pretty old X800 chipset. The open source drivers fail, and corrupt the OS even after rolling them back. But that's not that critical. I just needed the sound.

it used to be really bad having an ATi card but what you should do is install envy, and install the proper propriotary drivers much better support and with the ATi control panel is good.

Its a real pity that creative won't give open hardware specifactions of the x-fi for linux support. it works in OSS mode but OSS is really old now. i still just have a creatice audigy 2zs which does the job. a lot of the new creative xfi etc... its like i duno pointless you have to have the best speakers and equipment to notice the difference. and really all you get is a fancy control panel.

i duno sick of windows always demanding more and more new hardware. With ubuntu your computer won't ever die! :D

plus in hardy herron.. the done a lot of the work on the server edition its really good aparently am gona upgrade my server next week i think ijust use it as a fileserver and subversion. gona make it into a myth box eventualy

I've been using ubuntu for a while now. One problem that seems to be present in all releases (including hardy) is that the boot time is poor. I use windows xp and freeBSD aswel and they both beat ubuntu when it comes to boot time. Anyone have any ideas?

Ed Aboud said:
I've been using ubuntu for a while now. One problem that seems to be present in all releases (including hardy) is that the boot time is poor. I use windows xp and freeBSD aswel and they both beat ubuntu when it comes to boot time. Anyone have any ideas?

No I have had no problems with Ubuntu boot times. I had it booting in the same time as xp, about 30 seconds on my old machine (and it was pretty slow, so that was a pretty good boot time).

I can believe that FreeBSD can beat Ubuntu for boots though. Simply don't load unnecessary modules and it won't take long. I also had fast boots from Slackware because there very readable init script was easy to edit to cut out loading anything unnecessary.

I got free Ubuntu CDs from their site, but I've yet to install it.

joeseppe said:
I got free Ubuntu CDs from their site, but I've yet to install it.

The CDs also run in live mode where it will boot from the CD and run a full system in ram so you can try it out without having to actaully install it.

What is the new version of Ubuntu released?

The new version of Ubuntu released is Ubuntu 8.04, also known as "Hardy Heron". It was released on April 24, 2008.

What are the new features of Ubuntu 8.04?

Ubuntu 8.04 includes many new features, such as improved wireless networking support, a new desktop theme, the option to install third-party drivers during installation, and better integration with online services like Flickr and Facebook.

How can I upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04?

If you are currently using an older version of Ubuntu, you can upgrade by going to the "System" menu, selecting "Administration," and then clicking on "Update Manager." Follow the on-screen instructions to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04.

What are the system requirements for Ubuntu 8.04?

The minimum system requirements for Ubuntu 8.04 are a 700MHz processor, 384MB of RAM, and 5GB of hard drive space. However, for optimal performance, it is recommended to have at least a 1GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, and 10GB of hard drive space.

Is Ubuntu 8.04 available for download for free?

Yes, Ubuntu 8.04 is available for download for free from the official Ubuntu website. It can also be obtained through various other sources, such as software repositories or pre-installed on certain computers.