What is the impulse exerted on objects A and B during their collision?

• Thread starter Joe Jacobs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, two small steel balls A and B with masses of 0.6 kg and 0.2 kg respectively, collide directly on a smooth horizontal table while moving towards each other at speeds of 8 m/s and 2 m/s. After the collision, A maintains its direction of motion while B's speed becomes twice that of A's. The speed of A immediately after the collision is 4.4 m/s. The magnitude of the impulse exerted on B during the collision is 2.16 N s, which is also equal to the magnitude of the impulse exerted on A. This is due to Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Joe Jacobs

Homework Statement

Two small steel balls A and B have mass 0.6 kg and 0.2 kg respectively. They are moving
towards each other in opposite directions on a smooth horizontal table when they collide
directly. Immediately before the collision, the speed of A is 8 m s–1 and the speed of B is 2 m s–1. Immediately after the collision, the direction of motion of A is unchanged and the speed of B is twice the speed of A. Find
(a) the speed of A immediately after the collision,
(b) the magnitude of the impulse exerted on B in the collision.

Homework Equations

total momentum before collision = total momentum after collision
p=mv
Impulse = Ft = m(v-u)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the correct answer for (a), 4.4 m s-1 so I'll skip that bit. It's (b) that I don't get. It asks for the impulse exerted on B so that should be the impulse exerted by A

Ft = 0.6(4.4 - 8) = 0.6(-3.6) = -2.16 N s

since they ask for magnitude only

[tex]/therefore[/tex] Impulse = 2.16 N s

But the answer given calculates the impulse exerted by B and still gets the same answer

Impulse = 0.2(2 + 8.8) = 2.16 N s

Why?

EDIT: Sorry don't know how to get the therefore symbol in LaTeX...my first time using it actually :D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Joe Jacobs,

Joe Jacobs said:

Homework Statement

Two small steel balls A and B have mass 0.6 kg and 0.2 kg respectively. They are moving
towards each other in opposite directions on a smooth horizontal table when they collide
directly. Immediately before the collision, the speed of A is 8 m s–1 and the speed of B is 2 m s–1. Immediately after the collision, the direction of motion of A is unchanged and the speed of B is twice the speed of A. Find
(a) the speed of A immediately after the collision,
(b) the magnitude of the impulse exerted on B in the collision.

Homework Equations

total momentum before collision = total momentum after collision
p=mv
Impulse = Ft = m(v-u)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the correct answer for (a), 4.4 m s-1 so I'll skip that bit. It's (b) that I don't get. It asks for the impulse exerted on B so that should be the impulse exerted by A

Ft = 0.6(4.4 - 8) = 0.6(-3.6) = -2.16 N s

This is the impulse exerted on A. The impulse on an object is equal to its change in momentum. Notice that this impulse is negative, and it is the ball B that puts a negative force on ball A. (Ball A felt a negative force, because it had a positive velocity and then slowed down.)

since they ask for magnitude only

[tex]/therefore[/tex] Impulse = 2.16 N s

But the answer given calculates the impulse exerted by B and still gets the same answer

Impulse = 0.2(2 + 8.8) = 2.16 N s

Why?

If you are asking why the magnitudes are the same, think about what Newton's third law says about this situation.

This is the impulse exerted on A. The impulse on an object is equal to its change in momentum. Notice that this impulse is negative, and it is the ball B that puts a negative force on ball A. (Ball A felt a negative force, because it had a positive velocity and then slowed down.)
That was the answer I was looking for. Thx

What is impulse?

Impulse is defined as the product of force and the time over which it acts on an object. It is often represented by the symbol "J" and is measured in Newton-seconds (N*s).

How is impulse exerted on objects?

Impulse is exerted on an object when a force is applied to it over a period of time. This can be done through direct contact, such as a person pushing a box, or through a distance, such as a baseball being hit by a bat.

What is the relationship between impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are directly related, as impulse is the change in an object's momentum. This means that the greater the impulse exerted on an object, the greater the change in its momentum will be.

How does the impulse-momentum theorem apply to real-world scenarios?

The impulse-momentum theorem states that the impulse exerted on an object is equal to the change in its momentum. This is applicable in real-world scenarios, such as car crashes, where the force and duration of impact can be used to determine the change in momentum and the severity of the collision.

What factors can affect the impulse exerted on an object?

The impulse exerted on an object can be affected by factors such as the magnitude of force, the duration of the force, and the mass of the object. A larger force or longer duration will result in a greater impulse, while a larger mass will result in a smaller impulse.