Bending Moment of a beam with mass under & above water.

In summary, the bending moment of a beam with mass under and above water refers to the force or torque applied to the beam when it is submerged in water. This force increases when the beam is submerged and is affected by factors such as weight, dimensions, water density, and depth. It can be calculated using the formula M = Wd, and understanding this concept is crucial for engineers and scientists working with submerged structures.
ksy8193

Homework Statement

Please refer to the uploaded images. (there are two images)

When the right of the weight is lifted up,
I need to know the formula to calculate the bending moment of the beam according to the rest of parts I have and how to calculate the suitable size of the beam to be used.

As the bending moment is at its maximum when one of the weight is lifted out of the sea, the rest of the bending moment measurements are not necessary for me to find out.

I could only know how to calculate the easy question on bending moment. This one is too tough for me.. Let's assume the buoyancy force is 40N.. Volume of buoyancy is 1000m^3

Homework Equations

M = Force x distance
Volume of buoyancy is 1000m^3
buoyancy force is 40N
Mass = 40kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment of Mass = 40kg *9.81 m/s^-2* 30m = 11.72 KNm
Moment of the structure (horizontal, above water)= 10 * 9.81 * 45 = 4.41 KNm
Moment of the structure (vertical, above water) = 10 * 9.81 * 40 = 3.92 KNm
Moment of the structure (horizontal, under water)= 10 * 9.81 * 22.5 = 2.21 KNm (how to deduct the buoyancy force??)
Moment of the structure (vertical, under water)= 10 * 9.81 * 22.5 = 2.21 KNm (how to deduct the buoyancy force??)

Total M = 12.75KNm

In this case, how do I relate to the size of the stainless steel to be use ? what is the suitable diameter?

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 463
  • with mass.JPG
    with mass.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Calculating the bending moment of a beam can be a complex task, but I am happy to provide some guidance.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of bending moment. In simple terms, bending moment is the measure of the bending force on a beam caused by external loads. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the beam by the distance from the point where the force is applied to the point where the beam is supported.

In your case, the force applied to the beam is the buoyancy force of 40N and the distance is the length of the beam. However, it is important to note that the buoyancy force will change as the weight is lifted out of the water, so the bending moment will also change.

To calculate the suitable size of the beam, you will need to consider the maximum bending moment that the beam will experience. This can be calculated by considering all the forces acting on the beam, including the weight of the structure, the buoyancy force, and any other external forces. Once you have determined the maximum bending moment, you can then use the formula for bending moment (M = F * d) to determine the required size of the beam.

As for the size of the stainless steel to be used, this will depend on the material properties of the steel and the design requirements of the structure. It is best to consult with a structural engineer to determine the appropriate diameter for the beam.

I hope this helps guide you in your calculations. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the bending moment of a beam with mass under and above water?

The bending moment of a beam with mass under and above water refers to the amount of force or torque that is applied to the beam when it is submerged in water. This force is caused by the weight of the water acting on the beam and can be calculated using the principles of buoyancy and fluid mechanics.

2. How does the bending moment change when a beam is submerged in water?

When a beam is submerged in water, the bending moment will increase due to the added weight of the water acting on the beam. The amount of increase will depend on the density and volume of the water, as well as the dimensions and weight of the beam.

3. What factors affect the bending moment of a beam under and above water?

The bending moment of a beam with mass under and above water is affected by several factors, including the weight and dimensions of the beam, the density and volume of the water, and the depth at which the beam is submerged. Other factors such as the angle of the beam and the presence of other objects in the water can also affect the bending moment.

4. How can the bending moment of a beam be calculated when submerged in water?

The bending moment of a beam with mass under and above water can be calculated using the formula M = Wd, where M is the bending moment, W is the weight of the water acting on the beam, and d is the distance from the water's surface to the center of mass of the beam. This can be further refined by taking into account the specific properties of the beam and the water in which it is submerged.

5. What is the significance of understanding the bending moment of a beam under and above water?

Understanding the bending moment of a beam with mass under and above water is important for engineers and scientists working in fields such as naval architecture, ocean engineering, and offshore construction. It allows them to accurately predict the behavior of structures and objects submerged in water, and ensure their safety and stability under different conditions.