Mass-Spring-Damper time response to step input

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation for a vertically oriented mass-spring-damper system with a step input of y=10cm. The variables x[t] and y[t] and their derivatives are used to represent the position of the sprung mass and the bottom of the spring, respectively. Initial conditions are given and the equations of motion are provided. The conversation then expands to discuss solving the same problem for multiple degrees of freedom using matrices. An error in the code is identified and corrected.
hhspunter

Homework Statement

I am going to do some paraphrasing here, because the question is for automotive dynamics class, but is a pretty general question in its simplest form (1 degree of freedom):

Find the time response to a step input of y=10cm.

This is for a vertically oriented mass-spring-damper system, where the spring and damper are parallel, and the mass rests on top of the spring.

08-14-09_0026.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality, I can't find my camera so I had to use my phone.

Variables are:
x[t] and y[t], and their derivatives.
x refers to the position of the sprung mass where x=0 means the system is in equlibrium.
y refers to the position of the bottom of the spring.

Initial conditions:

x[0]=0
x'[0]=0.

For t>0, y=0.1 (in meters). For t less than/equal to 0, y=0.

Homework Equations

mx''+cx'+kx=ky+cy'

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using Wolfram Mathematica, so to solve the differential equation I assign values for m, c, and k. I use NDSolve, then write the equation, the initial conditions (x[0]=0, x'[0]=0), tell it to solve for x, and for 0<t<3. Now y'[t]=0 for t>0, so the cy' portion of the equation can be dropped. If I assign a value of 0.1 to y, and use DSolve, it gives an error, telling me that "0 cannot be used as a valiable" (it is getting the 0 from when I specify 0<t<3, verified by changing the lower bound of t). If I do not assign a value to y, I get the same result (after clearing all variables). If I use NDSolve, with or without an assigned value to y, I get an error message that "The fuction x appears with no arguements."

Here is my code, if it helps:
m = 1440/4;
k = 358*9.81/.15;
c = 1855;
y = 0.1;
DSolve[{m*x''[t] + c*x'[t] + k*x == k*y, x[0] == 0,
x'[0] == 0}, x, {t, 0, 3}]

Expansion of the problem
Now, I also need to be able to solve this same problem (step input of y=0.1meters) for multiple DOF systems. If I can solve it for a single DOF situation, I can develop similar equations of motion using matrices for m, c, and k. Hopefully I'll be able to apply the same strategy that ends up working for the 1DOF problem to the multiple DOF system (I need to go all the way up to a full-car model, with a double MSD in series on each corner of the car, plus a front and rear roll stiffness, but again I have the similar equations of motion as above).

Physics news on Phys.org
hhspunter said:
If I use NDSolve, with or without an assigned value to y, I get an error message that "The fuction x appears with no arguements."
That's because you forgot the argument for one occurrence of function x in DSolve. The needed correction is shown below in red
hhspunter said:
DSolve[{m*x''[t] + c*x'[t] + k*x[t] == k*y, x[0] == 0,
x'[0] == 0}, x, {t, 0, 3}]

What is a Mass-Spring-Damper system?

A Mass-Spring-Damper system is a mechanical system commonly used to model the behavior of physical systems. It consists of a mass, a spring, and a damper, all connected together. The mass represents the object being studied, the spring represents the restoring force acting on the mass, and the damper represents the dissipative force acting on the mass.

What is the time response of a Mass-Spring-Damper system to a step input?

The time response of a Mass-Spring-Damper system to a step input is the behavior of the system over time when a sudden change, or step, is applied to the input. This can be seen as the movement of the mass and the forces acting on it over time.

What factors affect the time response of a Mass-Spring-Damper system?

The time response of a Mass-Spring-Damper system is affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the damping coefficient of the damper, and the initial conditions of the system. These factors determine the overall behavior of the system and how it responds to the step input.

What is the settling time of a Mass-Spring-Damper system?

The settling time of a Mass-Spring-Damper system is the time it takes for the system to reach a steady-state response after a step input has been applied. This is the time it takes for the oscillations of the system to dampen out and for the system to reach a stable equilibrium.

How do you analyze the time response of a Mass-Spring-Damper system?

The time response of a Mass-Spring-Damper system can be analyzed using mathematical equations and simulations. By solving the equations of motion, one can determine the behavior of the system over time. Simulations can also be used to visualize the time response and better understand the behavior of the system.