Maxim velocity at the top of the loop (rollercoaster pb)

In summary, the roller coaster should have a velocity of 7 at point A in order for the passengers to stay in contact with their seats.
shuby

Homework Statement

What's the MAXIMUM velocity the roller coaster should have at pt A in order for the passengers to stay in contact with their seats ?
calculate the velocity for r=7

It kinda looks like this
[img=http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6994/image39.gif]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The friction is not mentioned anywhere, so let's forget about it, i thought that it has something to do with the normal force, so it should be like this:
Nmax + mg = mv^2/r

does it need some advanced stuff about the normal force to solve this?
does it have something to do with friction between the passenger and the seat ?

Thanks for clearing this up for me, and sorry for my poor English.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your English is fine. Friction between passenger and seat is nor relevant. At point A, what forces are acting on the passenger?

Normal and gravitational force(mg)

Usually we want to know what's the minimum velocity so that the can make it (N>0) but here I don't understand the question, what happens if it's going too fast ? will the rail break ? if yes what does that mean ?

shuby said:
Normal and gravitational force(mg)

Usually we want to know what's the minimum velocity so that the can make it (N>0) but here I don't understand the question, what happens if it's going too fast ? will the rail break ? if yes what does that mean ?

Unless you're taking a course on structural engineering, that's irrelevant. :P

I think your question was worded poorly. It should have said, MINIMUM velocity, since the only maximum there is to consider is the strength of the materials involved, which is completely out of the scope of the data of the question.

Yeah that's what I thought when I saw the question, but then I said maybe I'm wrong since the problem has 3 questions : a)what's the minimum V b)maximum V c)calculate the value for r=7

It's a instructor made problem... :p

Thanks for the help ! and I guess you will often see me in this board in the future, maybe not in this sub forum because I'll be in Electrical Engineering next year.

1. What is the maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop?

The maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop depends on several factors such as the height and shape of the loop, the initial velocity of the rollercoaster, and the force of gravity. However, on average, the maximum velocity at the top of a loop is around 0 meters per second (m/s) due to the force of gravity pulling the rollercoaster down.

2. How is the maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop calculated?

The maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop is typically calculated using the principles of conservation of energy and Newton's laws of motion. The initial potential energy of the rollercoaster at the top of the loop is converted into kinetic energy, which is then used to calculate the velocity at that point.

3. Can the maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop be changed?

Yes, the maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop can be changed by altering the design of the loop or the initial velocity of the rollercoaster. For example, a taller and steeper loop will result in a higher maximum velocity at the top compared to a shorter and shallower loop.

4. What happens if the maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop is too high?

If the maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop is too high, it can cause discomfort or even injury to the riders. This is because the force of gravity pulling the rollercoaster down may be too strong, resulting in excessive g-forces on the riders. It is important for rollercoaster designers to carefully calculate and test the maximum velocity at the top of a loop to ensure the safety and enjoyment of riders.

5. How does the maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop affect the ride experience?

The maximum velocity at the top of a rollercoaster loop can greatly affect the ride experience. A higher maximum velocity can result in a more exhilarating and thrilling ride, while a lower maximum velocity can make the ride feel smoother and less intense. The design of the loop is carefully considered to create a balance between safety and excitement for riders.