Series solution of first order ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses finding two non-zero terms of the power series solution of a given differential equation using series substitution. The method involves taking the derivative of the power series and plugging it into the ODE, which requires matching the powers of x. To find the non-zero terms, the first few terms of the multiplied series can be expanded manually.
soverylost

Homework Statement

Find two non-zero terms of the power series solution of
y' = 1 + y^2 ,y(0) = 0
by using series substitution y(x) = sum (k=0 to inf) [a][/k] *x^k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First take the derivative of the power series to get
y' = sum (k=0 to inf) (k+1)*[a][/k+1]*x^k

Plug y and y' into the original ODE, here is where my problem is.
I want the powers of x to match so that i can match the coefficients of the series and get a recursive relationship to find the non-zero terms. How do i deal with the y^2 term? How do I square a series and still get matching x-terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, you are only asked to find the first couple of terms. So you just multiply out the first few terms the long way. For example, to start multiplying out these two:

[tex]a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + ...[/tex]
[tex]b_0 +b_1x + b_2x^2 + ...[/tex]

You would get:

[tex]a_0b_0 + (a_0b_1 + a_1b_0)x + ...[/tex]

and do you see how to get all the x2 terms if you need them? So do that method for multiplying the series for y by itself for as many terms as you need.

1. What is a series solution of a first order ODE?

A series solution of a first order ODE is a method of solving a first order ordinary differential equation by expressing the solution as a power series. This allows for a more general and flexible solution compared to other methods, as it can be used for a wider range of ODEs.

2. How is a series solution obtained?

A series solution is obtained by expanding the solution of the ODE into a power series, and then substituting it into the ODE. This results in a recurrence relation between the coefficients of the series, which can be used to find the solution.

3. When is a series solution useful?

A series solution is useful when the ODE cannot be solved by other methods, such as separation of variables or substitution. It is also commonly used for nonlinear ODEs, as it allows for an approximate solution to be found.

4. What is the process for finding a series solution?

The process for finding a series solution involves first identifying the ODE as a first order ODE, then expanding the solution into a power series. Next, the series is substituted into the ODE to obtain a recurrence relation, which can then be solved for the coefficients. Lastly, the solution is expressed in its final form as a power series.

5. What are the limitations of a series solution?

While a series solution is a powerful method for solving ODEs, it does have some limitations. It may not always converge, meaning that the solution obtained may not be accurate. Additionally, series solutions can be time-consuming and difficult to calculate for more complex ODEs.