Q. about Bradley's Stellar Aberration

In summary, the conversation discusses how stellar aberration was only understood in the context of a wave/ether model of light propagation if the Earth was moving with respect to the ether. The speaker also questions why this is the case and shares a diagram to help explain how the motion of the Earth and aether affect the velocity of light and lead to aberration. Finally, the speaker comes to a better understanding and acknowledges the simplicity of the explanation.
Zorba
I have been reading in my book on Special Relativity (A. P. French, Chapman & Hall) that stellar abberation as discovered by Bradley, only made sense to physicists at the time in the context of a wave/ether model of the propagation of light IF the Earth moved with respect to the ether.

I don't really understand why this is the case, it seems to me as though abberation would occur even if the Earth were stationary w.r.t. the ether from the wave/ether perspective... anyone can shed some light on why this is the case?

EDIT: Oh god, I just realized the horrible (unintended) pun I made at the end there, sincere apology...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at the attached diagram and see if it helps.

In the first sketch the telescope and Earth is moving to the right transverse to the vertical direction of the light ray coming from the star and no aether is assumed. In the second sketch there is an aether co-moving with the Earth and the telescope and the light ray acquires a horizontal velocity component equal to the motion of the Earth and the telescope and no aberration occurs. The light ray acquires a horizontal velocity because it moves with respect to the aether medium.

Attachments

• aberration.gif
    aberration.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Ah yes, I get it now, it seems so simple. Cheers.

1. What is Bradley's Stellar Aberration?

Bradley's Stellar Aberration is a phenomenon in astronomy where stars appear to have a slight shift in their positions due to the Earth's motion around the Sun. This effect was first observed by astronomer James Bradley in 1725.

2. How does Bradley's Stellar Aberration occur?

Bradley's Stellar Aberration occurs because of the combination of the Earth's orbital motion and the speed of light. As the Earth moves around the Sun, the direction of starlight appears to change slightly because of the time it takes for light to travel from the star to the Earth.

3. Can Bradley's Stellar Aberration be seen with the naked eye?

No, Bradley's Stellar Aberration cannot be seen with the naked eye. It can only be observed through precise measurements and calculations using telescopes and other astronomical instruments.

4. What is the significance of Bradley's Stellar Aberration?

Bradley's Stellar Aberration helped scientists understand the Earth's motion and provided evidence for the theory of heliocentrism, which states that the Earth and other planets revolve around the Sun. It also played a role in the development of the theory of relativity.

5. Is Bradley's Stellar Aberration still relevant in modern astronomy?

Yes, Bradley's Stellar Aberration is still relevant in modern astronomy. It is used in the precise measurement of star positions and in making corrections for the Earth's motion when creating astronomical maps and charts. It also continues to contribute to our understanding of the nature of light and its behavior in space.