Ordinary Differential Equations

In summary, "Ordinary Differential Equations: An Elementary textbook for Students of Mathematics, Engineering, and the Sciences by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard" is a highly recommended book for anyone taking Differential Equations. It covers 12 parts with a focus on definitions and exercises. The book is straightforward and assumes a background in Calculus. It may be slightly dated in some areas, but for $15, it is an excellent resource for undergraduate students.
zeronem
A nice book for people who are taking Calculus IV(Differential Equations) is
"Ordinary Differential Equations: An Elementary textbook for Students of Mathematics, Engineering, and the Sciences by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard." This is a Dover book, but it explains in a very straight forward manner, and also reviews some of the properties of a function and such. A very good book full of Definitions and Exercises. I'de recommend it for anyone taking Differential Equations. It is separted into 12 parts, and each part contains a given amount of Lessons.

Parts-
1. Basic Concepts

2. Special Types of Differential Equations of the first order

3. Problems leading to Differential Equations of the first order

4. Linear Differential Equations of Order greater than one

5. Operators and Laplace Transforms

6. Problems leading to Linear Differential Equations of Order two

7. Systems of Differential Equations. Linearization of first order systems

8. Problems giving rise to systems of equations. Special types of second order linear and Non-Linear Equations solvable by reducing to systems

9. Series Methods

10. Numerical Methods

11. Existance and Uniqueness Theorem for the first order differential equation y'=f(x,y). Picard's Method. Envelopes. Clairaut Equations.

12. Existance and Uniqueness Theorems for a system of first order differential equations and for linear and non-linear differential equations of order greater than one. Wronskians.

Definitions are contained in the book, so as you move on you learn a lot of definitions. As well, there are a given amount of theorems with proof for each theorem in the lessons. I would list the lessons in each part, but due to it that there are 12 parts each with about 4 to 5 lessons, is a lot of typing.
There are examples all through out the book. There are also Excercises each with about 14 to 20 problems to solve and questions to answer.

I do understand that the usual Characteristic of Dover books are complex and go right into the material of it. However this Dover book, out of all the Dover books I own is the most straight forward on the material. The book is about 2 inches thick so there is a lot of material. It's a little book in height, but is two inches thick. Anyways, as a Dover book it does dive into the material quickly however it is very straightforward. Since this book is on Differential Equations it assumes you have a background in Calculus.

I'de recommend it for undergraduate students.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can agree with this review also. I've taken a look at some other ODE texts such as Zill and Cullen. Tenenbaum and Pollard, in my opinion, have the best approach. The first 2 or 3 chapters give the reader a relatively high amount of comfort to conquer ODE. Some parts of the texts, especially the chapters concerning the numerical methods of finding solutions to an ODE are slightly dated. This would be the point where you would want to whip out ZIll and Cullen or some other more recent texts. But all in all, this is an excellent if not the best ODE text that I have seen and for $15, you can't beat it.

Thank you for sharing your recommendation for a textbook on Ordinary Differential Equations. It seems like a comprehensive and well-structured book with a good balance of theory, definitions, examples, and exercises. I appreciate your insight on the Dover books and how this particular one stands out as being more straightforward. It's also helpful to know that it assumes a background in Calculus, as that may influence the level of difficulty for some readers. Overall, it sounds like a valuable resource for undergraduate students studying Differential Equations. Thank you for your recommendation!

1. What is an Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE)?

An Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their derivatives with respect to the dependent variable. ODEs are used to model many physical and natural phenomena, such as motion, population growth, and chemical reactions.

2. What is the difference between an Ordinary Differential Equation and a Partial Differential Equation?

The main difference between an Ordinary Differential Equation and a Partial Differential Equation is the number of independent variables. ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve more than one independent variable. This makes ODEs easier to solve than PDEs, as they can be reduced to a set of first-order equations.

3. What are the different types of Ordinary Differential Equations?

There are several types of Ordinary Differential Equations, including linear and nonlinear, first-order and higher-order, and autonomous and non-autonomous. Linear ODEs have a linear relationship between the dependent variable and its derivatives, while nonlinear ODEs have a nonlinear relationship. First-order ODEs involve only the first derivative of the dependent variable, while higher-order ODEs involve higher derivatives. Autonomous ODEs have no explicit dependence on the independent variable, while non-autonomous ODEs do.

4. How are Ordinary Differential Equations solved?

ODEs can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a closed-form expression for the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable. This can be done for some simple ODEs, but most ODEs do not have analytical solutions. In these cases, numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, can be used to approximate the solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ordinary Differential Equations?

ODEs have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. They are used to model physical phenomena, such as the motion of particles, the behavior of electric circuits, and the dynamics of chemical reactions. In biology, ODEs are used to model population growth and the spread of infectious diseases. They are also used in economics, finance, and weather forecasting. ODEs play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex systems and predicting their future behavior.