Why do F1 cars have wide tires?

In summary, the wide tyres on the F1 cars are there to look good. They are not necessary for the car to grip the track, and in fact may be counterproductive because of the increased wind resistance and inertia.
BenLi
I was watching the Malaysian Grand Prix, when seeing the really hugely wide tires on the F1 cars got me thinking. Theoretically, friction is a function of only the normal force and the coefficient of friction. Why is it, then, that the cars would have those wide tires?

Physics news on Phys.org
BenLi said:
I was watching the Malaysian Grand Prix, when seeing the really hugely wide tires on the F1 cars got me thinking. Theoretically, friction is a function of only the normal force and the coefficient of friction. Why is it, then, that the cars would have those wide tires?

main reason == because they look.

And the coefficient is not constant, but goes down as the pressure (force/area) goes up.
So running the widest gets a better coefficient averaged across the tire/tyre.
But wind resistance, and inertia favor skinny wheels.

On selecting tire size, when looking for info, you can find a lot of guess work based on who knows what. Too bad tires companies and tire engineers don't talk much more.

To me, http://buildafastercar.com/node/9" is what I think explain best, in a simple way, a very complex subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
BenLi said:
Theoretically, friction is a function of only the normal force and the coefficient of friction. Why is it, then, that the cars would have those wide tires?

The coefficient of friction is a classic example of how high school "theory" doesn't always agree with the real world.

Lsos said:
The coefficient of friction is a classic example of how high school "theory" doesn't always agree with the real world.

The "high school" theory of friction applies to material that do not deform like wood or steel. When there is elasticity deformation like in a rubber tire, that changes stuff.

Exactly.

The tyres are wide because wider tyres create more lateral force per angle of slip. However they are less able to cope with linear acceleration (this is why they tend to have large radiuses as that's what helps the tyre cope with linear accelration). Combines with 13inch wheels this and getting temperatre it's what gives F1 tyres their large sidewall profile.

More on this: (will have to find links to other tyre threads) Ranger Mike will hopefully see this and link in before I have to do a big search :PBasically wide tyres have wider shorter contact patches (as a rough rule of thumb for a given loado the contact partch size will not change). This gives lots of grip on the limit in corners, but gives a tyre that has little warning it's about to break traction.

Holmz said:
main reason == because they look.

Not. Tires are to win. Loosing doesn't look. Winning is look. Dude, you've got it backwards. Turnit around.

Last edited:
They are also thinking of switching to 18 inch wheels (from the 13inch) to bring the tyres more in line with sportscars. I doubt that will happen any time soon though.

It's all rumour for after bridgestone leave.

1. What is friction and how does it affect wide tires?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. In the context of wide tires, friction plays a crucial role in determining the tire's grip on the road surface. A larger surface area of the tire in contact with the ground means more friction, resulting in better traction and handling.

2. Are wider tires more prone to rolling resistance?

Rolling resistance refers to the force needed to keep a tire moving at a constant speed. Wider tires do have a larger contact patch, which may seem like they would have a higher rolling resistance. However, this is not always the case as wider tires also have a shorter, stiffer sidewall, which can reduce rolling resistance.

3. Do wider tires offer better stability?

Wider tires generally offer better stability due to their larger contact patch. This translates to better grip and control, especially in cornering and braking situations. However, other factors such as tire pressure and tread pattern also play a role in determining a tire's stability.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using wide tires?

One of the main disadvantages of using wide tires is the increased rolling resistance, which can result in reduced fuel efficiency. Additionally, wide tires can be more expensive and may not fit on all types of vehicles. They can also be more prone to hydroplaning in wet conditions if they do not have adequate tread patterns.

5. How do wide tires affect the overall performance of a vehicle?

Wide tires can have a significant impact on the overall performance of a vehicle. They can improve handling, stability, and traction, especially in dry conditions. However, they can also affect fuel efficiency and may not perform as well in wet or snowy conditions. It is essential to consider the type of driving and road conditions before choosing wider tires for a vehicle.