Twisted Experiment: Is Drinking Heavy Water Suicide?

• Thread starter kjones000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, changing one's body chemistry with heavy water would be harmful, but it is possible to do so for relatively cheap.
kjones000
I recently read something about an experiment involving a very large pool of heavy water (deuterium oxide). The article stated the cost of the water and the volume of pool. My immediate thought was "Hey! Heavy water is cheap!". My next thought was "What would happen if someone replaced most of the water in their body with heavy water?". More of a biology question than a physics question, but if I post on a biology board they will just send me here.

Yes, I am considering performing the experiment if you don't need government permission to buy heavy water. I can afford to drink and cook with heavy water for a few months (assuming the quoted price was correct).

Is this suicide? Is it pointless? Something in between?

A side note: it might be fun create some paper that would carbon date to about 50k BC by growing papyrus in an atmosphere with artificially created isotope ratios, and then bury the paper near the sphinx. :devil: (No, I wouldn't actually do that) :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, upon thought. It seems that it can be done. I wouldent think the extra neutron would harm you in any way. But since heavy water is 10% heavier than regular water, then this migh slow down your bodily processes, and act like a poison. Its your choice man.

I would rather try it on an animal first. But legal issues might arise. You would have to check. It must have been studied by someone. Mass difference might actually make your heart work harder on heavy blood, which would be no good. And all chemical reactions in your body might be a bit slower, also no good.

kjones000 said:
I recently read something about an experiment involving a very large pool of heavy water (deuterium oxide). The article stated the cost of the water and the volume of pool. My immediate thought was "Hey! Heavy water is cheap!". My next thought was "What would happen if someone replaced most of the water in their body with heavy water?". More of a biology question than a physics question, but if I post on a biology board they will just send me here.

It's already known that large amounts of heavy water are toxic. See for example the following links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_water
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mheavywater.html http://yarchive.net/med/heavy_water.html

Surely some of the bodily processes which use water specifically wouldn't work with heavy water? ... I have doubts about how viable it'd be to try it. But if you ever do, let us know. It'd be interesting, to say the least!

Thanks

Thank for the links. Changing my body chemistry will remain a thought experiment. Stomach lining = good. Still, an LD50 of about 40kg makes it far less toxic than (for example) table salt. Interesting.

I double checked the volume and price values for that pool of heavy water. It worked out to $5/kg, not $300/kg. Since you had multiple quotes of $300, either the article I read was wrong or they were just renting the water (not a joke, a possibility).

Also interesting was the fact that distribution IS government controlled. Still, I could probably find a way to extract small quantities in my apartment (my electric bill is paid by my apartment complex :devil: ).

1. What is heavy water and how is it different from regular water?

Heavy water, also known as deuterium oxide, is a form of water where the hydrogen atoms are replaced with deuterium, a heavier isotope of hydrogen. This results in a slightly higher density and different chemical properties compared to regular water.

2. Is drinking heavy water poisonous or harmful to your health?

While heavy water is not inherently toxic or harmful, it can have negative effects on the body if consumed in large quantities. This is because the body relies on regular water for essential functions, and heavy water can disrupt these processes. Additionally, heavy water has been linked to potential long-term health effects, so it is important to avoid drinking it in excess.

3. Can drinking heavy water lead to death?

It is highly unlikely that drinking heavy water would result in immediate death. However, consuming large amounts of heavy water can cause serious health complications and potentially lead to death over time due to its effects on the body's functioning.

4. What are the potential side effects of drinking heavy water?

Some potential side effects of drinking heavy water include nausea, dizziness, headaches, and fatigue. In extreme cases, it can also lead to more serious health issues such as organ damage and even death.

5. Why is the experiment of drinking heavy water considered twisted?

The experiment of drinking heavy water is considered twisted because it involves intentionally subjecting oneself to potential harm and even death. This type of experiment is highly unethical and goes against the principles of responsible scientific research.