Steady State Torque for a Quadcopter

In summary, the conversation is about finding the correct equation for counteracting steady state torque in a quadcopter project. A project found online provides helpful information on torque and includes equations and diagrams for further exploration. It is mentioned that there may not be a single generalized equation for steady state torque.
visitam
My partner and I are working on a quadcopter, but we can't seem to find the correct equation we need for the counteracting steady state torque that is applied by the chassis to the motor. Obviously it would have the same magnitude of the state state torque of the propeller, but in the opposite direction. How can I find the state torque of the propeller?

(keep in mind that it is not essentially: Torque = (Inertia of the prop) * (angular acceleration), since the angular acceleration is zero when the propeller is spinning at a constant rpm.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi
a quick google search turned up this project. someone did a project that involves torque on a quadcopter. hope it helps
http://www.eit.lth.se/fileadmin/eit/courses/edi021/Sammanfattning/2008/LP-4/grupp1/rapport.pdf" The first few pages are not in english but if you scroll down there is a reference section that is in english and explains a lot of things about quadcops and talks about torque somewhere around page 46. it also has some equations and diagrams so maybe you can figure something out from it.

normally i don't think there would be one single generalised equation for steady state torque but i could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is steady state torque for a quadcopter?

Steady state torque for a quadcopter refers to the constant rotational force that is required to maintain the quadcopter in a stable hover or flight. It is an important measure of the quadcopter's stability and control.

2. How is steady state torque calculated for a quadcopter?

The steady state torque for a quadcopter can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the quadcopter by the distance between the center of gravity and the propeller axis. This is known as the moment arm and is a key factor in determining the required torque for stable flight.

3. What factors affect the steady state torque for a quadcopter?

The steady state torque for a quadcopter is affected by several factors, including the weight and distribution of the quadcopter, the size and speed of the propellers, and the flight conditions such as air density and wind speed. Changes in any of these factors can impact the required torque for stable flight.

4. How does the steady state torque affect the flight performance of a quadcopter?

The steady state torque plays a critical role in the flight performance of a quadcopter. If the torque is too low, the quadcopter may struggle to maintain stability and control. On the other hand, if the torque is too high, it can cause the quadcopter to be unresponsive and difficult to maneuver.

5. Are there any techniques for reducing the steady state torque of a quadcopter?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to reduce the steady state torque of a quadcopter. These include using lighter materials for the frame and components, optimizing the design for aerodynamics, and adjusting the weight distribution. Additionally, using efficient and properly sized propellers can also help reduce the torque required for stable flight.