Auditing a class versus taking it Pass/Not Pass?

• Thread starter Anonymous217
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the speaker is considering auditing a graduate class due to a busy schedule, but is also considering the Pass/Not Pass system where a 70% is needed to pass the course. They are concerned about how this decision may be viewed by grad schools and whether it would affect their chances of admission. The speaker also mentions that the course is notoriously difficult and they are already busy with other coursework and research. The committee member suggests that the difficulty level and other factors may justify taking the course as P/NP rather than for a grade. They also mention that seeing the course listed on a transcript can be beneficial for the applicant. The speaker clarifies that they are taking other grad courses for a letter grade and this would be the only one
Anonymous217
I'm currently in this grad class, but I have serious doubts I have enough time on my hands from my busy schedule to do well in this class. As a result, I'm considering to just audit the course, which in my university means: "to go to the class without any official recognition."
In other words, there's no proof you audited the class or even paid attention to the lectures. You simply sit in on the lectures.

This is opposed to the Pass/Not Pass system, where you only need at least 70% to "pass" the course, thus receiving a formal recognition on your transcript along with units.
I don't care about the units, but more so the recognition that I actually went to this class, paid attention, and learned something.
Would grad schools see me taking P/NP as a failed attempt of doing well while trying to scathe by, or an 'intellectual' curiosity to explore and audit? I fear that taking the normal route of 'auditing' has no proof and grad schools would see it as a lie to pad my resume/transcript. This P/NP route would give evidence to my auditing, but could lead to these other implications I fear.

P.S. I know it's bad to think in terms of grad school, but unfortunately, it's a necessity to 'consider' their viewpoint for practical reasons (i.e. going to grad school).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As a member of a committee, I'd probably ask: Is the course a particularly difficult level (such as a grad class?)... or is the term in particular very full already?... or is the course an advanced course in a different department (that maybe you haven't met prerequisites for)? These kind of things, in my mind, might justify taking the course as P/NP versus for a grade. And you do indicate the first... it's a graduate level course. And you state it's a busy term (although what does that mean in terms of other courses and total credits?).

As a small aside, I don't think I ever saw this in my experience on a committee... but I think seeing a course listed on your transcript does let the committee know you've seen the material, which can matter. I also think I'd tend to assume then that the course was only offered on a pass/fail system... that maybe your university didn't let an undergrad take a grad course except via pass/fail (this unless I saw other students from your university applying that had graduate courses with grades).

^ The grad course is notoriously difficult in my university (noted as one of the hardest grad courses) and it has typically failed most undergrads who take the course. And by busy work, I mean I'm spending most (if not all) my time on research, other classes, etc.

Thanks for the assurance. However on the second part, I'm taking quite a few other grad courses (all letter-graded) and this will be the only one taken pass/fail. So any 'committee' wouldn't necessarily make the assumption you made, i.e., that the course was only offered pass/fail.

1. What is the difference between auditing a class and taking it Pass/Not Pass?

Auditing a class means attending the class and participating in discussions and activities, but not receiving a grade or credit for the course. On the other hand, taking a class Pass/Not Pass means that a student can earn credit for the course by receiving a "Pass" grade, but the grade will not affect the student's GPA.

2. Can I switch from auditing a class to taking it Pass/Not Pass?

Yes, in most cases, students are allowed to switch from auditing a class to taking it Pass/Not Pass. However, it is important to check with the university or college's policies and deadlines for making this switch.

3. Will I still have to pay for the class if I audit it?

Yes, typically students are still required to pay for the class if they choose to audit it. Auditing a class may be less expensive than taking it for credit, but it is not a free option.

4. Are there any restrictions on which classes I can audit or take Pass/Not Pass?

Usually, students are not allowed to audit or take Pass/Not Pass for courses that are required for their major or for courses in which they have already received credit. Additionally, some universities may have restrictions on the number of classes that can be taken Pass/Not Pass.

5. Will a "Pass" grade affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

It depends on the graduate school and program. Some graduate schools may view a "Pass" grade as a lack of effort or commitment, while others may not consider it at all. It is best to research the policies of the specific graduate programs you are interested in before deciding to take a class Pass/Not Pass.