A calculation involving differential operators

In summary, the homework statement has expressions for angular momentum components, but the derivative for L_1^2 is missing second derivatives.
Adorno

Homework Statement

I have the following expressions for angular momentum components: [itex]L_1 = x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} - x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2}[/itex], [itex]L_2 = x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_1} - x_1\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}[/itex], [itex]L_3 = x_1\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2} - x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_1}[/itex], and I simply need to work out [itex]L^2 = L_1^2 + L_2^2 + L_3^2[/itex].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the way I expand it gives [tex]L_1^2 = (x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} - x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2})(x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} - x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2}) = x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} - x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2} - x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2}x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} + x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2}x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2} = -x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2} - x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3},[/tex] and similarly [tex]L_2^2 = -x_1\frac{\partial}{\partial x_1} - x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}[/tex] and [tex]L_3^2 = -x_1\frac{\partial}{\partial x_1} - x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2},[/tex] so that [tex]L^2 = -2x_1\frac{\partial}{\partial x_1} - 2x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2} - 2x_3\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}[/tex] But this is not the expression for [itex]L^2[/itex] that I'm supposed to get! So I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can the derivative expression for L_1^2 not have any second derivatives in it?

That's a good question. I guess it should. When I simplify a term like [itex]x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}[/itex], do I have to use the product rule? That would get the second derivatives.

Adorno said:
That's a good question. I guess it should. When I simplify a term like [itex]x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}x_2\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}[/itex], do I have to use the product rule? That would get the second derivatives.

Yes, you do! I see what you were doing. E.g. d/dx(x*d/dy)f=d/dx(x*df/dy). Sure, it's the derivative of a product. Not the same as (dx/dx)df/dy.

Last edited:
also, hopefully not to distract from teh question at hand, but do you know about index notation with einstein summation convention? Definitely worth learning and wiould simplify this problem

it that notation you could write the problem as:
[tex] L_i = \epsilon_{ijk}x_j \frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}[/tex]

[tex] L^2 = L_i-L_j \delta_{ij}= L_iL_i [/tex]

Dick said:
How can the derivative expression for L_1^2 not have any second derivatives in it?
And that is why we always use the "comutator", LM- ML, which will NOT have second differential operators.

1. What is a differential operator?

A differential operator is a mathematical operator that acts on a function to produce a new function. It is typically represented by symbols like d/dx or ∇.

2. What is the purpose of using differential operators?

Differential operators are used to solve problems in calculus, physics, engineering, and other fields. They help us to describe and analyze processes that change over time or space, such as motion, heat transfer, and wave propagation.

3. How do differential operators relate to derivatives?

Differential operators are closely related to derivatives. In fact, they can be thought of as a shorthand notation for taking derivatives. For example, d/dx(f(x)) is the differential operator for the derivative of the function f(x).

4. What are some common differential operators?

Some common differential operators include the gradient operator (∇), the divergence operator (div), the curl operator (curl), and the Laplacian operator (Δ). These operators are commonly used in vector calculus and differential equations.

5. How are differential operators used in real-world applications?

Differential operators are used in many real-world applications, such as in physics to describe the behavior of particles and waves, in engineering to model and analyze systems, and in economics to study changes in supply and demand. They are also widely used in computer science and machine learning for image and signal processing.