Homework help with mixture problem

In summary, the problem involves a 100 gallon tank being filled with pure water, and a salt solution being added at a rate of 1 gallon per minute. The same rate is also used for draining the solution. After 100 minutes, the amount of salt in the tank is 50 pounds. The concentration of the salt in the incoming solution needs to be determined. To solve this, the concentration in the tank is governed by a differential equation that involves the concentration of the incoming solution, the rate of flow, and the volume of the tank. Further steps can be taken to find the concentration of the salt in the incoming solution.
Deanna
I need help setting this problem up. I keep coming up with the wrong answer. I know it is suppose to be either a separable or linear differential equation. Can anyone help me get it set up right? I think its suppose to be a linear 1st order diff equation.

A 100 gallon tank is filled with pure water. At time t=0 a salt solution is added to the container at a rate of 1 gallon per min. The well stirred solution drains from the container at the same rate--1 gallon per min. The concentration of the salt entering the tank is unknown. After 100 minutes it is measured that the amount of salt in the tank is 50 pounds. Determine the concentration of the salt (in pounds per gallon) in the incoming solution.

This is what I do know.
t(0)=0
t(100)=50
dV/dt=rate solution enters the tank - rate solution leaves the tank so
dV/dt=0
so v(t)=0+C and I believe C should = 100 which makes v(t)=100
I am not sure if this is right and I can figure out how to get dx/dt or where t fits into the equation. Help please if you can

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The concentration in the tank is governed by

[tex]\frac {dC}{dt} = (C_{in} - C) \frac {R_{in}}{V}[/tex]

where [itex]C_{in}[/itex] is the concentration of the solution flowing into the tank, [itex]R_{in}[/itex] is the rate at which the solution flows in and V is the volume of solution in the tank. You should be able to take it from there.

First of all, it's great that you have identified that this problem involves a mixture and that it can be solved using a differential equation. Let's break down the problem and see how we can set it up.

We have a 100 gallon tank filled with pure water at time t=0. At this point, there is no salt in the tank and the concentration of salt in the incoming solution is unknown. Then, at a rate of 1 gallon per minute, a salt solution is added to the tank. At the same rate, 1 gallon per minute, the well-stirred solution drains from the tank. After 100 minutes, the amount of salt in the tank is measured to be 50 pounds. We want to determine the concentration of salt in the incoming solution.

To set up this problem, we need to use the concept of concentration, which is the amount of salt per unit volume of solution. Let's call this concentration x(t) where t is time. We also know that the rate at which salt is added to the tank is 1 gallon per minute and the rate at which salt is draining from the tank is also 1 gallon per minute. This means that the change in concentration over time, dx/dt, is equal to the rate at which salt is added, which is 1 gallon per minute, minus the rate at which salt is draining, also 1 gallon per minute. So we can write the following differential equation:

dx/dt = 1 - 1 = 0

This is a separable differential equation, which means we can separate the variables and solve for x(t). To do this, we need to integrate both sides of the equation with respect to t:

∫dx/dt dt = ∫0 dt

This gives us:

x(t) = 0t + C

Since we know that at t=0, x(t)=0, we can substitute these values into the equation and solve for C:

0 = 0(0) + C

C = 0

So our final equation for concentration is:

x(t) = 0t + 0

But this doesn't give us any information about the concentration of the salt in the incoming solution. To find that, we need to use the information given in the problem. We know that after 100 minutes, the amount of salt in the tank is 50 pounds. So we can set up another equation using this information

1. What is a mixture problem?

A mixture problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves combining two or more different elements to create a new mixture with a specified quantity or concentration.

2. How do I solve a mixture problem?

To solve a mixture problem, you need to understand the concept of proportions and use them to set up and solve an equation. You will also need to know how to convert between different units of measurement, such as grams and kilograms.

3. Can you give an example of a mixture problem?

Sure, here's an example: A chemist needs to create 500 ml of a solution that is 40% acid. They have two solutions available, one that is 50% acid and one that is 20% acid. How much of each solution should be mixed together to create the desired solution?

4. What are some tips for solving mixture problems?

Some tips for solving mixture problems include:

• Read the problem carefully and identify what is being asked for.
  • Draw a diagram or table to help visualize the problem.
  • Set up a proportion using the quantities and concentrations given.
  • Use algebra to solve for the unknown quantity.
  • Check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Where can I find more practice problems for mixture problems?

You can find more practice problems for mixture problems in math textbooks, online math resources, and by searching for specific examples related to your area of study. You can also create your own practice problems by mixing different solutions and calculating the resulting concentrations.