Proof that 1/2 +2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number

• Thread starter Astronamus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: I offered two things for you to think about that might prove it. One of them does more easily than the other. I've no idea if the sum of the first r!'s is not divisible by 9 or not, but that seems...odd.It doesn't seem odd at all to me. It's just something that you might want to check.
Astronamus
I am deleting

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

[tex]\sum_{j = 1}^{N} \frac {j}{j + 1} = \sum_{j = 1}^{N} \left( 1 - \frac {1}{j + 1}\right) = N - \sum_{j = 1}^{N} \frac {1}{j + 1}[/tex]

Last edited:
Minor quibble-Tide you lost a negative sign.

Tide has reduced this nicely to showing any the Harmonic series never hits an integer. This might be tough to prove so I'll kick out a hint.

Let 2^k be the largest power of 2 less than or equal to N, so 2^k<=N<2^k+1. Assume the sum is an integer. Clear the denominators carefully so every term becomes an integer, except the 1/2^k term. This gives a contradiction.

I'll leave it to you how to clear them 'carefully', but seeing how to do this for the first few values of N might help.

if you clear denominators you see that n! must divide the top. It follows for example that n must divide (n-1)! which is impossible say, if n is prime. If not, and p is the largest prime number less than n, it follows again that p must divide some number between p+1 and n. I.e. n must be at least 2p. But this contradicts the fact that there must be another prime between p and 2p, hence another between p and n.

This is kind of related, is:

[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{n} r![/tex]

ever a perfect square? I know this is true for n=1 and n=3, but what about in general?

I'd like hints only, please. :smile:

I'd probably pick some useful number and look at things mod that number. for it is divisible by 3 for n>1, so it must be WHAT if it is a square?

Last edited:
It must be in the form 3(n^2) or in the form 3^(2n+1)?

daster said:
This is kind of related, is:

[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{n} r![/tex]

ever a perfect square? I know this is true for n=1 and n=3, but what about in general?

I'd like hints only, please. :smile:

For n>4, the last digit is always '3', so it will never be a perfect square.

I swear I was just thinking the same thing!

m! where m>4 always ends in zero. So when n>4, we have 10p+(4!+3!+2!+1!)=10p+30+3=10q+3, but I really didn't know that if a number ends in 3 it's a perfect square.

just work out the squares of the residues mod 10, which is waht i meant by considering a suitable mod thing

and if 3 divides N and N is a square then 9 divides N is what I meant

matt grime said:
just work out the squares of the residues mod 10, which is waht i meant by considering a suitable mod thing

and if 3 divides N and N is a square then 9 divides N is what I meant
Wow... That's brilliant.

Well done!

For the sake of curiosity...

What you're saying is:
if N>3 and N = 0 (mod 3), then N = 0 (mod 9).
Right?

Can we generalize this to:
if N>3^n and N = 0 (mod 3), then N = 0 (mod 3^{n+1})?

This is realiant on N being a square, you realize, and nothing to do with N being greater than some power of three, nor for that matter is it to do with 3.

Let N be the n'th power of q where q is an integer. Write q as the product of primes, now, what is the decomposition of N relative to q?

For example, let n=3 so we#re considering cubes. What are some cubes? 8, 27, 216. How may times do 2 and 3 occur each decomposition? it's always a multiple of n isn't it?

I know this might sound naive, but why is that?

Wait, nevermind... I figured it out. :smile:

So, to sum up, if q divides p^n then so does q^n?

Thanks for all your help matt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you write out q as a product of primes? Raise it to the power n? What do you get?

for instance if q=12=2^2.3, then q^3= 2^^.3^3 doesn't it?

in response to your last corrected qusetion, only if the divisor is a prime, it is one of the equivalent criteria for being prime (in the integers)

Yeah, naturally.

Thanks again.

daster said:
...but I really didn't know that if a number ends in 3 it's a perfect square.

And it is not!
As I had said, if a number ends in 3, it is not a perfect square.

There is no n>4 which satisfies your equation.

Rogerio said:
And it is not!
As I had said, if a number ends in 3, it is not a perfect square.
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. :rofl:

matt,
I have one more question about your proof.
S = 33 (mod 10), but does S really need to be divisible by 3? 43 = 33 (mod 10), but 43 isn't divisible by 3.

what proof? I didn't say that I'd proved it, I offered two things for you to think about that might prove it. One of them does more easily than the other. I've no idea if the sum of the first r!'s is not divisible by 9 or not, but that seems a reasonable thing to consider. Divisbility by 3 and the modulo 10 bit are completely unrelated. The mod 10 bit proves it straightforwardly.

And I've no idea what's puzzling you in your question. Of course there's no reason for two numbers in the equivalence class of 3 mod 10 to both be divisible by 3, there's no reason for either of them to be divisible by 10. IF they are both divisible by 3, so is their difference, which, by definition, is also divislbe by 10, and hence by 30. And?

Last edited:
Oh, sorry. I misread what you posted. I know that the mod 10 bit proves (since 33 isn't a square mod 10), but I thought you'd approached it from a different angle.

I had. A little check, which I intended you to do demonstrates the div by 9 thing doesn't actually help.

1. How can you prove that 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number?

To prove that 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number, we can use the concept of common denominators. When we add fractions, we need to have a common denominator. In this case, the common denominator is 12. However, when we add the fractions, we get a result of 11/12, which is not a whole number.

2. Can you provide a mathematical explanation for why 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number?

Yes, we can provide a mathematical explanation for why 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number. As mentioned before, the common denominator for these fractions is 12. When we add them, we get a result of 11/12, which is not a whole number. In other words, the sum of the fractions is less than 1, which means it is not a whole number.

3. Is there a simpler way to explain why 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number?

Yes, there is a simpler way to explain why 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number. We can think of fractions as parts of a whole. In this case, the fractions represent parts of a whole divided into 12 equal parts. When we add them, we get a result that is less than 12, which means it is not a whole number.

4. Can you provide an example to demonstrate why 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number?

Yes, we can provide an example to demonstrate why 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number. Let's say we have a pizza divided into 12 equal slices. If we take 6 slices (1/2 of the pizza), 8 slices (2/3 of the pizza), and 9 slices (3/4 of the pizza), we will have a total of 23 slices, which is more than the 12 slices that make up the whole pizza. This shows that the sum of the fractions is not equal to a whole number.

5. What is the significance of proving that 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number?

The significance of proving that 1/2 + 2/3 + 3/4 does not equal a whole number is that it highlights the importance of understanding fractions and how they relate to whole numbers. It also emphasizes the need for a common denominator when adding fractions. This proof can also be applied to other fractions and serves as a reminder to always double-check our calculations to ensure they are accurate.