How to deal with homogenous differential equation system?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a system of homogenous differential equations for cleaning the Great Lakes. It is suggested to use software or write the equations as a matrix to solve for the variables. The conversation also mentions the solution for two of the variables and how to use them to solve for the remaining variables.
yeland404
How to deal with homogenous differential equation system??

Homework Statement

s'[t] == (-3 s[t])/580, m'[t] == (-19 m[t])/590,
h'[t] == (3 s[t])/580 + (19 m[t])/590 - (2 h[t])/25,
e'[t] == (2 h[t])/25 - (85 e[t])/116,
o'[t] == (85 e[t])/116 - (33 o[t])/131

Homework Equations

it is a system to clean the Great lake that five lakes linked together

The Attempt at a Solution

and I know that the solution for s and m are 2900*E^(-3 t/580) and 1180*E^(-19 t/590)
as s[0]=2900, m[0]=1180. and h[0]=850, e[0]=116, o[0]=393

I really want someone can tell me any math software can work with this or any way to do it

Physics news on Phys.org

Okay, since you were able to solve for s and m, put those into the equation for h and it becomes pretty straight forward. Once you know h, you can put that into the equation for e and then put the solution for e into the equation for o.

Or you can write it as the matrix equation
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}s \\ m \\ h \\ e \\ 0\end{pmatrix}'= \begin{pmatrix}-\frac{3}{580} & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -\frac{19}{580} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ \frac{3}{580} & \frac{19}{580} & -\frac{2}{25} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{2}{25} & -\frac{85}{116} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & \frac{85}{116} & -\frac{33}{131}\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}s \\ m \\ h \\ e \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
Since that is a triangular matrix, its eigenvalues are just the numbers on the main diagonal.

I know how to do with the X'=AX that x=c1e^λt[u1]...however, what I get is a single equation. I have no idea how to deal with five variables...

1. What is a homogenous differential equation system?

A homogenous differential equation system is a set of equations that only involves the dependent variable and its derivatives, without any independent variable. In other words, the coefficients and constants in the equations are all functions of the dependent variable.

2. How do I solve a homogenous differential equation system?

To solve a homogenous differential equation system, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. Additionally, you can use linear algebra methods such as matrix diagonalization or eigenvalue-eigenvector analysis. The method used will depend on the specific form of the equations in the system.

3. Are there any special cases of homogenous differential equation systems?

Yes, there are two special cases of homogenous differential equation systems: autonomous and linear. Autonomous systems have no explicit dependence on time, while linear systems have equations with only linear terms. These types of systems have specific methods for solving them, such as using phase plane analysis for autonomous systems and matrix methods for linear systems.

4. Can I apply initial conditions to a homogenous differential equation system?

Yes, you can apply initial conditions to a homogenous differential equation system. However, the initial conditions must be consistent with the homogenous nature of the system. This means that the initial conditions should not be used to determine the values of the constants in the equations, as they should already be functions of the dependent variable.

5. How can I apply the solution to a real-world problem?

The solution to a homogenous differential equation system can be applied to real-world problems by interpreting the dependent variable as a physical quantity and the equations as describing its behavior over time. The constants in the equations can be determined by incorporating known values or constraints from the problem. This can help predict the behavior of the system and make informed decisions or observations.