Eigenvalues of commuting observables (angular momentum)

In summary, the homework statement is that z|lm> is an eigenstate of L^{2}. If so, find the eigenvalue.
gitano

Homework Statement

Is [itex] z|lm\rangle [/itex] an eigenstate of [itex] L^{2} [/itex]? If so, find the eigenvalue.

Homework Equations

[tex] L_{z}|lm\rangle = \hbar m|lm\rangle[/tex]
[tex] L^{2}|lm\rangle = \hbar^{2} l(l+1)|lm\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So since [itex] L_{z}[/itex] and [itex]L^{2}[/itex] are commuting observables, they have are simultaneously diagonalizable and hence share the same eigenkets. Now, since [itex] z [/itex] and [itex] L_{z}[/itex] commute [itex] z|lm\rangle [/itex] is an eigenstate of [itex] L_{z} [/itex] and hence of [itex]L^{2}[/itex]. Now I am just having some issues calculating the eigenvalue.

I have derived that [tex] [x_{i},L_{j}] = i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk}x_{k}[/tex] and that
[tex][x_{i},L^{2}_{j}] = i\hbar\epsilon_{ijk}(x_{k}L_{j}+L_{j}x_{k})[/tex].

Now [tex]L^{2}z|lm\rangle = ([L^2,z]+zL^{2})|lm\rangle[/tex].
So it remains to calculate [tex][L^2,z] = [L^{2}_{x}+L^{2}_{y},z] [/tex]
I have proceeded using the relations I derived above, but I can't seem to get this commutator to give me some constant times [itex]z[/itex], which is what I need to extract an eigenvalue from the whole thing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, how do you get the equations to be inline with the text?

Sorry guys I changed the problem to correctly read: Is z|lm> an eigenstate of L^2, not of L_z.

I was just thinking, since [itex] z|lm\rangle [/itex] is an eigenstate of [itex] L_{z} [/itex] and has the same eigenvalue as [itex] |lm\rangle [/itex], does this degeneracy mean that [itex] z|lm\rangle [/itex] is also an eigenstate of [itex] L^{2} [/itex] with the same eigenvalue as [itex] |lm\rangle [/itex], namely [itex] \hbar^{2}l(l+1) [/itex]?

In general, if an observable has degenerate eigenstates and commutes with another observable, does this mean that these degenerate eigenstates have eigenvalues with respect to the commuting operator which are equal as well (i.e. are the degenerate eigenstates of the original observable also degenerate eigenstates of the commuting observable)?

After more consideration, I'm beginning to think that [itex] z|lm\rangle [/itex] is not an eigenstate of [itex] L^{2}[/itex]. Even though [itex] [L_{z},L^{2}] = 0[/itex] and share [itex]|lm\rangle[/itex] as eigenstates, since they are not a complete set of commuting observables, all the eigenstates of one are not necessarily eigenstates of the other. Therefore, I don't think it is necessary that [itex] z|lm\rangle [/itex], being a degenerate eigenstate of [itex]L_{z}[/itex] is an eigenstate of [itex] L^{2}[/itex]. This seems to be corroborated by the fact that when you work out the commutator [itex] [z,L^{2}] [/itex], you can't get back [itex]z[/itex] times some constant.

Also, there might be some argument one can use based on the rotational properties, i.e. that the operator [itex]z[/itex] changes the value of [itex]l[/itex] and thus cannot be an eigenstate of [itex]L^{2}[/itex], but I don't know if this is true or not.

Am I correct in this reasoning?

1. What are "eigenvalues" and "commuting observables" in the context of angular momentum?

Eigenvalues are the possible numeric values that a physical observable can take on. Commuting observables are two or more physical observables that can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other.

2. Why is it important to study the eigenvalues of commuting observables in the context of angular momentum?

Studying the eigenvalues of commuting observables allows us to understand the relationship between different physical observables and how they interact with each other. In the case of angular momentum, it helps us understand the quantized nature of angular momentum and how it relates to other physical quantities.

3. How do you calculate the eigenvalues of commuting observables in the context of angular momentum?

The eigenvalues of commuting observables can be calculated using the quantum mechanical operators associated with the observables. In the case of angular momentum, the eigenvalues can be calculated using the spin and orbital angular momentum operators.

4. Can the eigenvalues of commuting observables change over time in the context of angular momentum?

In quantum mechanics, the eigenvalues of commuting observables are constant and do not change over time. However, the state of the system can change, leading to different measurements of the observables at different times.

5. What is the significance of finding the eigenvalues of commuting observables in the context of angular momentum?

The eigenvalues of commuting observables provide us with a complete set of possible outcomes when measuring the physical observables. In the case of angular momentum, it helps us understand the quantized nature of angular momentum and how it relates to other physical quantities such as energy and position.