The Physics of Immortality - Share your Opinion

• Thread starter cosmon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a book called "The Physics of Immortality" and whether or not anyone has read it and what their opinion of it is. The first speaker has not read it and is skeptical of the author's claims. The second speaker has read it and does not believe it is a legitimate work of physics.
cosmon
Hello everybody... I recently bought the book '' The physics of Inmortality '' It seems like a pretty good choice, I wanted to know if anyone has read it, and a opinion would be fine !

Thanxs ! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
well no I have not -- and am inclined not to -- the reason being that if they knew then they would not be talking to us -- You know, intrigue the plebs, they will buy anything -- you have to substitute what they believe, ( which is pretty clear ) for what you believe -- whatever that is -- just so long as it's yours and NO ONE elses.
You cannot go wrong when you truly believe -- even if you are in error -- but you can compare beliefs and come to your own conclusions -- that is in your heart -- not by anybodyelses input .. I mean no -one -- just you --whatever it is that you are
you cannot do better than this -- and it means everything .
I hope you find whatever it is you are looking for
ray.

I've read it. I'm not a big fan of taking things on faith, which is essentially what Tipler asks his readers to do. Basically, he says "Trust me! The maths and physics in this book is too complicated for you to understand, but it's 100% right!"

I think the book is more a statement of Tipler's own faith than a work of physics, despite the veneer of complicated mathematical physics. Some authors more qualified than me to comment on the content of the book have not given it rave reviews.

1. How would you define the concept of "The Physics of Immortality"?

The Physics of Immortality refers to the scientific exploration of the possibility of achieving eternal life through advancements in physics and technology. It involves understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe and how they may be utilized to extend human life indefinitely.

2. Is it scientifically possible for humans to achieve immortality through physics?

While the concept of immortality has been explored in science fiction and philosophy, there is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that it is possible through physics alone. However, advancements in fields such as genetics and regenerative medicine have shown potential for extending human lifespan.

3. What are some key theories or principles in physics that could potentially contribute to achieving immortality?

Some key theories and principles that could potentially contribute to achieving immortality include the laws of thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and the theory of relativity. These principles govern the behavior of matter, energy, and time, and understanding them could potentially lead to breakthroughs in extending human lifespan.

4. How do ethical considerations play a role in the pursuit of immortality through physics?

The pursuit of immortality through physics raises ethical concerns, as it could potentially create a divide between those who have access to these advancements and those who do not. It also raises questions about the potential consequences and impact on society as a whole. It is important for scientists to consider these ethical implications in their research.

5. What are some current advancements in physics that could potentially contribute to achieving immortality?

Some current advancements in physics that could potentially contribute to achieving immortality include the study of anti-aging properties in certain organisms, research on nanotechnology and its potential for repairing and regenerating cells, and advancements in cryonics, the preservation of human bodies at low temperatures for potential future revival.