Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle - find minimum uncertainty in position

In summary, the minimum uncertainty in the position of a 435g football with a known speed of 1mm/s uncertainty can be calculated using the formula dx ≥ h/(4∏mdu) as 1.21e-31 m. The uncertainty in velocity should be in SI units.
daleklama

Homework Statement

Assume speed of 435g football is known with 1mm/s uncertainty.
What is the minimum uncertainty in its position?

Homework Equations

I'm not quite sure... I know p=mv, and I know that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that certain parameters of quantum particles cannot be measured/known at the same time without uncertainty.

When I did a previous example, I used the formula:

dx ≥ h/(4∏mdu)
where dx = uncertainty in position
h = Plancks constant
m = mass in kg
du = uncertainty in velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I was trying to do it using the formula given above, but there are a couple of things I don't understand.
i) How do I find du?
I previously found du by multiplying the speed (given in question) by the uncertainty, which was in percentage form.
How do I find du now? I'm not actually GIVEN a speed, and I don't quite know what to make of "1mm/s uncertainty." Is that 0.001%, which would be 0.00001, or...?

Physics news on Phys.org
daleklama said:

Homework Statement

Assume speed of 435g football is known with 1mm/s uncertainty.
What is the minimum uncertainty in its position?

Homework Equations

I'm not quite sure... I know p=mv, and I know that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that certain parameters of quantum particles cannot be measured/known at the same time without uncertainty.

When I did a previous example, I used the formula:

dx ≥ h/(4∏mdu)
h = Plancks constant
m = mass in kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I was trying to do it using the formula given above, but there are a couple of things I don't understand.
i) How do I find du?
I previously found du by multiplying the speed (given in question) by the uncertainty, which was in percentage form.
How do I find du now? I'm not actually GIVEN a speed, and I don't quite know what to make of "1mm/s uncertainty." Is that 0.001%, which would be 0.00001, or...?

The uncertainty appearing in the uncertainty principle is always a quantity with units of position or speed, not a dimensionless ratio (or percentage) of quantities. In this case, the uncertainty in the velocity is given to you directly in the problem. The actual velocity is irrelevant for the application of the uncertainty principle, in cases where you know the uncertainty directly. The actual velocity is only relevant when you use it to infer what the uncertainty in the velocity must be (e.g. if you are a given a problem that says "the velocity of the football is measured to be 10.000 m/s -- in which case you are being indirectly told the uncertainty in that measurement).

Okay, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but in that case, would the following be a correct calculation?

dx ≥ h/(4∏mdu)
h = Plancks constant
m = mass in kg

dx ≥ (6.626e-34)/(4∏(0.435)(0.001)
dx ≥ 1.21e-31 m

I used 0.001 as the uncertainty because it's given as 1 mm/s, and I felt I should convert that to metres?

Thanks very much for reply :)

Yes, this is fine. Certainly you do want to have the velocity uncertainty in SI units if your other units will be too.

Thank you :)

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle relate to minimum uncertainty in position?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle implies that there is a minimum uncertainty in the position of a particle, which is known as the "uncertainty principle limit." This means that no matter how precise our measurements are, there will always be a certain level of uncertainty in the position of a particle.

3. Can the minimum uncertainty in position be calculated?

Yes, the minimum uncertainty in position can be calculated using the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle formula: ΔxΔp ≥ h/4π, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and h is the Planck constant. This formula gives us the minimum value of uncertainty in position that is allowed for a given uncertainty in momentum.

4. How is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applied in scientific research?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has significant implications in the field of quantum mechanics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of subatomic particles. It has also been applied in various fields, including quantum computing and cryptography, where the principle is used to ensure the security of data transmission.

5. Is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle a proven concept?

Yes, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has been extensively tested and is considered a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is widely accepted by the scientific community as a fundamental law of nature.