What's the most you'd ever pay for a cocktail?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, a five dollar margarita is barely run of the mill. Restaurants and bars in Houston vie for which has the best margarita. A five dollar margarita is not a contender. It's barely run of the mill. If I have a small party at my home then I'll buy a case (24 bottles - 11.2 fl.oz bottles) of Mike's Classic Margarita that costs me a little over $20.00. It's very good and comes in traditional lime, peach, and raspberry. It contains 5.5% alcohol. Naturally, there is wine, and different alcoholic beverages and non-alcoholic beverages available along with plenty of food and music.
gravenewworld
So I went to a bar the other day that was quite exclusive, one where you definitely need reservations, and where it looks like the elite of Washington DC go for a few drinks. Lo and behold, days later I come to find out that the place is listed on Travel and Leisure's list of top 10 bars in America. The menu consisted entirely of cocktails, with very limited food options. each drink was $18-25, but they were absolutely delicious. You couldn't even tell there was any alcohol in them. They were quite possibly the best drinks I've ever had in my life. So how much would you fork over for a damn good cocktail?

Physics news on Phys.org
Five dollars.

gravenewworld said:
You couldn't even tell there was any alcohol in them.
Great way to maximize profits!

gravenewworld said:
You couldn't even tell there was any alcohol in them.

I've never understood this sentiment. I want mixers that complement, but not cover up, the primary spirit.

Evo said:
Five dollars.

Restaurants and bars in Houston vie for which has the best margarita. A five dollar margarita is not a contender. It's barely run of the mill.

D H said:
Restaurants and bars in Houston vie for which has the best margarita. A five dollar margarita is not a contender. It's barely run of the mill.
I'm in Kansas, $5 is plenty.

Well, I'm 15, so this is a tough one to answer.

gravenewworld said:
So how much would you fork over for a damn good cocktail?

I live in a very affluent area and cocktails are always darn good to drink:biggrin: and fairly expensive. A good majority of the restaurants have a "Happy Hour" that makes it possible to buy a alcoholic drink for half the price. Here's a little secret, you can buy as many drinks as you want for the lower price but you have to pay in advance before the hour is up. This is great because oftentimes several people will place a large order prior to a dinner party of four to eight people. All it takes is one or two people arriving early to place the order (drinks and appetizers at half the price) then ask to have it served when everyone else arrives. :approve: Lately my favorite cocktail is a pomegranate margarita. It costs on the average during happy hour $6.00.

If I have a small party at my home then I'll buy a case (24 bottles - 11.2 fl.oz bottles) of Mike's Classic Margarita that costs me a little over $20.00. It's very good and comes in traditional lime, peach, and raspberry. It contains 5.5% alcohol. Naturally, there is wine, and different alcoholic beverages and non-alcoholic beverages available along with plenty of food and music.

Last edited:
$0, not a penny more

If I am paying 18-25 bucks for a drink I better not be able to walk by the halfway through the 2nd one. What do they put in a $20 dollar drink, dragons tears and unicorn sweat? A top shelf vodka and whatever drink where I go is $7 for a tall.

Charmar said:
If I am paying 18-25 bucks for a drink I better not be able to walk by the halfway through the 2nd one. What do they put in a $20 dollar drink, dragons tears and unicorn sweat? A top shelf vodka and whatever drink where I go is $7 for a tall.

I along with the people I personally know don't get drunk. A drink could be a cocktail or a glass of wine. A bottle of 1945 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild Jeroboam sold at Christie’s auction for $114,614. A bottle of Macallan Malt Whisky distilled in 1926 costs $38,000. Some fine dining restaurants in Napa Valley or San Francisco tend to serve high-end alcoholic beverages. Basically, it's about the dining experience where you don't guzzle your drink down nor do you get plastered. A dinner can last 3 to 5 hours and is meant to be enjoyed.:smile:

Last edited:
I understand the idea behind drinking for the taste, but I can't recall ever having some alcoholic beverage and thought wow that tastes like something worth enjoying slowly (for the alcohol anyway), and I've tried many brands. So the enjoyment comes for me with the effect not the action. Big fan of long dinners though, I can get behind a rare tenderloin any day of the week and enjoy it like it was my last meal. :)

What factors determine the price of a cocktail?

The price of a cocktail can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type and quality of alcohol used, the location and reputation of the bar or restaurant, the skill and experience of the bartender, and the cost of overhead and ingredients.

Why do some cocktails cost more than others?

The cost of a cocktail is often reflective of the cost of the ingredients used. For example, a cocktail made with top-shelf liquor or rare and expensive ingredients will likely cost more than a drink made with cheaper spirits or common mixers.

Is there a limit to how much a cocktail should cost?

The price of a cocktail is ultimately determined by the market and what customers are willing to pay. However, some may argue that there is a limit to what is reasonable and ethical for a business to charge for a drink. This can vary depending on the location and economic factors.

Can you negotiate the price of a cocktail?

In most cases, the price of a cocktail is non-negotiable. However, some bars or restaurants may offer specials or discounts during certain times or for certain customers. It is always best to check with the establishment beforehand.

What is the most expensive cocktail in the world?

The most expensive cocktail in the world is called "The Winston," which costs $12,910 and is made with rare and expensive ingredients such as 1858 Croizet cognac, Chartreuse Viellissement Exceptionnellement Prolongé, and Angostura bitters. This cocktail is only available at the Skyview Bar in Dubai's Burj Al Arab hotel.