Independence Test Homework Problem Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses using the test of independence to determine if three matrices are independent. The result of using the test shows that the matrices are independent. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to "row reduce" to show independence and clarifies that the vectors provided are transposes.
EvLer
Hello,
I have a homework problem I need some help with.
Given 3 matrices:
A = [1,2,1,2]^t
B = [2,3,-1,0]^t
C = [1,0,1,0]^t
I need to use test of independence to find out whether they are independent.
So, the matrix I ended up with is this
1 2 1 0
0 1 2 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
The answer says it's independent and I can see that from the original matrices. But I do not know how to proceed with the indep. test to prove that; for one thing, I have more equations than unknowns (I know they are all zeros, so I just disregarded the last row) and for another, if I make it a row-echelon form it looks like column 3 (not being a pivot matrix) is actually a lin. comb. of col.1 and 2 which means that the set is lin.dep.
Where did I go wrong? :yuck:
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you end with that matrix?

Using the given vectors as rows of a matrix, you start with
1 2 1 2
2 3 -1 0
1 0 1 0

Now "row reduce":
subtract twice the first row from the second row and subtract the first row from the third row to get
1 2 1 2
0 -1 -3 -4
0 -2 0 -2

Now subtract twice the second row from the third row:
1 2 1 2
0 -1 -3 -4
0 0 -6 6

Look independent to me!

well, since they are transposes (I put '^t' there), following the dependence equation I got initially this:
xA+yB+zD = 0 (vector, i.e. zero vector 4 by 1)
which is
1x + 2y + z = 0
2x + 3y + 0 = 0
1x - y + z = 0
2x + 0 + 0 = 0
and then I got the augmented matrix which reduced to what I posted above and I cannot 'make' it independent.
Thank you for reply.

Take a look at your last equation: 2x= 0. Doesn't that say that x= 0? Now put that back into the second equation: 3y= 0. y must be 0! finally, either of the remaining equations and you get z= 0. Looks independent to me!

That obvious...
Thank you very much.

1. What is an independence test?

An independence test is a statistical method used to determine whether two variables are related or not. It helps to assess if there is a significant association between two categorical variables in a population.

2. How is an independence test performed?

An independence test is typically performed by calculating the chi-square statistic, which compares the observed frequencies of the two variables to the expected frequencies if there was no relationship between them. The resulting p-value is then compared to a predetermined significance level to determine if there is a statistically significant relationship.

3. What is the purpose of an independence test?

The purpose of an independence test is to identify if there is a relationship between two categorical variables. This can help researchers understand the potential impact of one variable on the other and make informed decisions based on the results.

4. What are the assumptions of an independence test?

The main assumptions of an independence test are that the data is categorical, the observations are independent, and the expected frequency for each cell in the contingency table is at least 5. Violation of these assumptions can affect the accuracy and validity of the test results.

5. When should an independence test be used?

An independence test should be used when there are two categorical variables and the researcher wants to determine if there is a relationship between them. It is commonly used in social sciences, marketing research, and medical studies to analyze data from surveys, experiments, or observational studies.