Visualizing Integration as Summing Over a Variable

In summary, Luc is having trouble understanding the difference between the integral and marginalization operators. He is trying to understand why an area under a curve is considered as the summing over of a variable and is having trouble making the connection.
pamparana
Hello all,

I am sorry for this really basic question but am having trouble with visualizing something in my head...

I read up on interpretation of integration as area under the curve by splitting it in strips with Δx as the length of the strip and we have the integral in the limit as Δx→0.

However, I am having trouble visualizing why an integral is considered as summing over a variable. For example, the marginalization operation is described as:

P(x) = [itex]\int[/itex]P(x, y) dy

I am having even trouble explaining this problem. I am basically having trouble intuitively thinking why this is marginalization. I can picture this in discrete case easily when

P(x) = [itex]\sum P(x, y)[/itex] for all y.

This is basically calculating the probability for all values of x regardless of whatever value y takes. I can see this clearly but having trouble making the same connection with the integral operator.

I would be very grateful if someone can help me get an intuition about this...

Thanks,
Luc

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your reply! The problem I am having is that any discussion that I see explains integral as the area under the curve, which is intuitive and I grasp that.

So, I thought about this and if we have

P(x) = ∫P(x, y) dy

Then P(x) is a function (prob. distribution) and each "point" in P(x) is the area under the curve when we hold x as fixed and integrate over all of y.

So, the probability of P(X = x) is the area under the curve when we hold X= x and integrate over y. I think I have it now but I think I always have trouble with this term "area" (despite what I said earlier).

1. What is integration and why is it important in science?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. In science, it is used for finding the total amount of a quantity, such as velocity or concentration, over a given time or space. Integration is important in science because it allows us to analyze and make predictions based on continuous data.

2. How is integration different from differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations in calculus. While differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integration finds the total amount of a quantity. This can be thought of as differentiation being the process of finding the slope of a curve, while integration finds the area under the curve.

3. What are the different methods of integration?

There are several methods of integration, including the basic method of finding antiderivatives, substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. Each method is used depending on the complexity of the function being integrated and the desired outcome.

4. How is integration used in real-life applications?

Integration is used in many real-life applications, including physics, chemistry, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used for calculating areas, volumes, work, and even probabilities. For example, integration is used in economics to calculate revenue and profit, and in physics to determine the total energy of a system.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration include forgetting to add the constant of integration, not simplifying the integrand before integrating, and using the wrong method of integration. It is also important to check for any discontinuities or invalid regions when setting up the limits of integration. Practicing and double-checking your work can help avoid these mistakes.