Moving to Chile, not sure about my options.

• Thread starter guitarphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary, the speaker is a 16-year-old who is moving to Chile and plans to attend a good private school with an IB program. They are concerned about the quality of physics programs in Chile and are considering majoring in engineering. They plan to attend grad school in the US and pursue a degree in a physics-related field. The speaker is also advised to maintain a good GPA and GRE scores to increase their chances of being accepted into a grad school program.
guitarphysics
Hi, I'm moving to Chile in a couple of weeks (and I just turned 16) and I'm kind of lost. In a couple of years I'll graduate (from a really good private school that has the IB program), so I probably can get into the better colleges in Chile. The trouble is, apparently the physics programs there aren't very good. The engineering ones are supposed to be incredible, but their downside is that only about 5% of the students (in the colleges I want to go to) make it. Also, I'm kind of worried about what classes I'd be taking if I majored in engineering (would I be able to take something like quantum mechanics?) and what I would do after that. My plan is probably to go to grad school in the U.S., and get a master's degree or Ph.D in something physics-related. Would there be any trouble if I majored in engineering?
Thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it'll be much of a matter, as long as you succeed in all of the requisites. I'm in a similar position but I'm considering grad school out of the country where I am and it seems like a possibility. However you should get a good GPA and GRE scores.

You'd have to check your college-of-choice's requirements and everything of course, but as a data point I took Quantum Mechanics and Nuclear Physics when I was an undergraduate and I was majoring in Electrical Engineering.

1. What are the visa requirements for moving to Chile?

In order to move to Chile, you will need to apply for a visa. The type of visa you will need depends on your reason for moving, such as work, study, or retirement. You will need to provide documents such as a valid passport, a background check, and proof of financial stability. The specific requirements may vary depending on your home country, so it is best to check with the Chilean embassy or consulate in your country for more information.

2. How much does it cost to live in Chile?

The cost of living in Chile can vary depending on the city and lifestyle. Generally, the cost of living in Chile is lower than in most developed countries. Rent, transportation, and food are relatively affordable, while luxury items may be more expensive. It is important to research the cost of living in the specific city you plan on moving to in order to create a realistic budget.

3. What is the healthcare system like in Chile?

Chile has a public and private healthcare system. The public system is available to all residents and is free or low-cost. The private system is more expensive but offers higher quality care. As a foreigner, you will need to have health insurance in order to access the private healthcare system. It is recommended to research and compare different insurance options to find the best fit for your needs.

4. Can I work in Chile as a foreigner?

Yes, it is possible to work in Chile as a foreigner. However, you will need to obtain a work visa and have a job offer from a Chilean company in order to work legally. It is important to note that the job market in Chile can be competitive, especially for non-Spanish speakers. It may be helpful to network and make connections before moving to increase your chances of finding employment.

5. What are some cultural differences I should be aware of when moving to Chile?

Chilean culture is heavily influenced by Spanish and indigenous traditions, so you may encounter some cultural differences. For example, Chileans tend to be more reserved and may not be as direct in communication as other cultures. It is also important to learn some basic Spanish phrases to help with day-to-day interactions. Overall, Chileans are friendly and welcoming to foreigners, so embracing the culture and making an effort to learn the language will help you adjust to your new home.