Calculating Induced Voltage in a Rotating Rectangular Loop

In summary, the induced voltage in the rotating rectangular loop with 50 turns, rotating at 130 r/s in a magnetic field of .06 in the normal direction, can be determined using the formula B dot ds, where ds represents the sides of the rectangle and coswt in the normal direction. The derivative of this formula results in an answer of 46.8 sin 130 t, which is confirmed by the fact that the magnetic field is unchanging and the voltage should therefore be time-varying.
formulajoe
A 40cmX30cm rectangular loop rotates at 130 r/s in a magnetic field of .06 in the direction normal to the axis of rotation. If the loop has 50 turns, determine the induced voltage in the loop.

Heres what I did. I used B dot ds. I had my ds being the sides of the rectangle and coswt in the normal direction. I then took the derivative of that. So I multiplied 130*.4*.3*50*.06. The 50 comes from the number of turns.
I ended up with an answer of 46.8 sin 130 t. The book has an answer of -54. Since the magnetic field is unchanging, the voltage has to be time-varying.

Physics news on Phys.org
can somebody confirm my answer?

Looks right, and yes, the voltage should definitely oscillate.

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are essential to understanding electromagnetic phenomena.

2. What is the significance of Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are important because they provide a unified framework for understanding the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. They also paved the way for the development of technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.

3. What is the problem with Maxwell's equations?

The main problem with Maxwell's equations is that they do not account for the effects of quantum mechanics, which is necessary for describing the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. This has led to the development of quantum electrodynamics, which combines Maxwell's equations with quantum mechanics.

4. How are Maxwell's equations used in scientific research?

Maxwell's equations are used in a wide range of scientific research, including in the study of electromagnetism, optics, and astrophysics. They are also used in the development of technologies such as radar, satellite communication, and medical imaging.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Maxwell's equations?

Yes, there are countless real-life applications of Maxwell's equations. Some examples include the transmission of electricity through power lines, the operation of electric motors, and the creation of electromagnetic waves in radios and televisions. They also play a crucial role in the functioning of modern technology, such as cell phones and computers.