Get a Recommendation on Hatfield's Book:The Quantum Field Theory

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
It is a well-written and thorough introduction to field theory, with a focus on mathematical methods. However, some readers have found the section on string theory to be limited and it may not be suitable for those looking for a more applied approach. It is recommended for readers with a strong understanding of mathematical techniques. It can serve as a good companion to other texts such as Zee's, but may not cover all necessary topics for a complete understanding.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I accidentally came across this title:"The Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings",by some guy Hatfield.

Anyone care to give me a reccomandation,a comment,before i jump and spend some money...?

Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a fine introduction to field theory for people who are sophisticated about mathematical methods but untrained in physical specifics. It spends oodles of time motivating such things as Fadeev-Popov quantization of gauge theory and leading you through it. Most readers have found the section on string theory too limited. As a kind of primer, it is sort of orthogonal to that other primer, Zee's text. They address different students with different needs.

I was high on it and derived a lot of benefit from it, but I moved on afterward to more standard texts, notably Peskin & Schroeder.

So you're saying it's more mathematical and less inclined towards applications than Peskin & Schroeder (maybe Itzykson & Zuber,too) and goes along with Zee's text.

Okay,thank you.Excellent,then.I hate when maths is sloppily presented.

Daniel.

1. What is the main premise of Hatfield's book on Quantum Field Theory?

Hatfield's book on Quantum Field Theory explores the fundamental concepts and principles of this branch of physics, which seeks to understand the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily intended for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics, as well as researchers and professionals in the field.

3. What sets Hatfield's book apart from other books on Quantum Field Theory?

Hatfield's book offers a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the subject, with a focus on both theoretical concepts and practical applications. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to aid in understanding.

4. Is prior knowledge of Quantum Mechanics required to understand this book?

Yes, a basic understanding of Quantum Mechanics is necessary to fully grasp the concepts presented in Hatfield's book. However, the book does provide a brief review of relevant concepts in the first chapter.

5. Are there any notable criticisms or limitations of Hatfield's book?

Some readers may find the book to be quite technical and challenging, especially without a solid foundation in Quantum Mechanics. Additionally, some critics have noted that the book may not cover all aspects of Quantum Field Theory in depth.