How do you deal with people

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
In summary, this person is trying to argue for the existence of irreducible complexity. The argument is based on the premise that certain systems are too complex to have arisen through natural selection and evolution.
MathJakob
who think the big bang didn't happen
who think evolution doesn't exist

Do you take the time to try and explain why they're wrong or do you just ignore / not associate yourself with these people?

Physics news on Phys.org
Give some points on why it exists, aiming for brevity then leave if they repeat their fallacious arguments on a sad loop aiming for validity.

It really depends on the person and the context.

For example, if someone is legitimately looking to debate (I use that work loosely here) or exchange ideas I'll gladly engage them.

On the other hand I have no interest in walking into a church and telling people how to think.

MathJakob said:

Do you take the time to try and explain why they're wrong or do you just ignore / not associate yourself with these people?

Such people will always exist. There is still a group who believes the Earth is flat. What can you do?

We’re never going to all ascertain some absolute truth, and you will always have denialists when something is so far removed from daily “truths”. It’s a part of human existence.

they aren't often looking for a legit debate, and if they are they are sooo stubborn. but that's just in my experience.

Don't wrestle with the misconceptions. Be a Ninja and deflect the odd stuff. Then steer the conversation to something that is not controversial. Don't engage in conversions, and good luck. :tongue2:

Think to yourself, if someone has no understanding of biology or physics, what is the difference between you telling them evolution is real or a preacher telling them it isn't?

MathJakob said:

The latter, except in the case of my relatives, with whom I just won't engage in such conversations because it's pointless.

MathJakob said:

How about: people are entitled to think what they want to think and as long as they don't push their views on me I won't push my views on them nor judge them for such petty things.

WannabeNewton said:
How about: people are entitled to think what they want to think and as long as they don't push their views on me

That's your definition of "entitled" (and mine too). However, there are people out there who believe that they are entitled to push their views on you as long it might save you from eternal damnation.

In the long run, your blood pressure will be lower and you'll spend less money on cardiologists if you go with "You can say whatever you want as long as I can think whatever I want". If you're right, you'll win eventually - Galileo had to mutter "Eppur si muove" under his breath, but today every schoolchild hears it.

Last edited:
I take a totally non-politically-correct view: If God exists, he/she/it created fools to give me something to laugh at. And if he/she/it doesn't exist, I'll laugh anyway.

I don't believe in the big bang.
But I do believe in evolution.
I'm pretty sure I've seen explanations of why the big bang is real, but I'm a bit senile, and keep forgetting the answer.
If the JWST shows me 1st gen stars, then I might believe in the big bang.
ps. I love science.
:smile:

Last edited:
I hardly if ever run into these types of people, or at least if I do run into them then they don't mention it or make it apparent.

It's generally not a problem for me, but overt--and probably covert--creationism is less prevalent in Canada than in the States. I've only met one person who expressed ideas similar to the ones you're talking about, but even he was murky about them and was open to a real discussion. If, for example, I were to run into a really confrontational creationist, I would try to be as civil as possible. After all, there's no point in hurting a person's feelings. I'm not the Christopher Hitchens type.

EDIT: I hope this post isn't too "religious."

Last edited:
...the big bang didn't happen

This is still debated.

Waste your time trying to change or persuade these people. Usually I just tell them they are wrong, with evidence, and ignore everything else they say.

Aero51 said:
This is still debated.

Waste your time trying to change or persuade these people. Usually I just tell them they are wrong, with evidence, and ignore everything else they say.

You see the problem with this? Somewhere there is an irreducible complexity guy saying the same thing.

OmCheeto said:
I don't believe in the big bang.
But I do believe in evolution.
I'm pretty sure I've seen explanations of why the big bang is real, but I'm a bit senile, and keep forgetting the answer.
If the JWST shows me 1st gen stars, then I might believe in the big bang.
ps. I love science.
:smile:

If I may ask, how much of the Big Bang Theory do you not believe in?

When the ship starts sinking salvage what you can without drowning yourself.

WannabeNewton said:
How about: people are entitled to think what they want to think and as long as they don't push their views on me I won't push my views on them nor judge them for such petty things.

Yes that is fine I accept peoples opinions, I just refuse to respect those opinions. If I saw someone in the street preaching or someone came to knock at my door then I don't really care what they think and can think what they want. But it's the people I care about that bothers me.

My sister for example has zero knowledge of biology and cosmology and she thinks the big bang didn't happen and that evolution is wrong. She is 27 by the way... She makes the typical mistake of saying "But look how complex we are, every life form has what it needs for it's enviroment!" and I'm trying to explain to her about natural selection and evolution and she just won't have any of it.

I tried to explain to her that because she has not studied anything apart from weed sinse leaving high school, she is not really entitled to have an opinion about something like the origin of the universe or evolution.

If you're going to have an opinion about something, take the time to learn about that subject before telling someone something isn't true. It's literally like me telling you that relativity doesn't exist and you're going to respect my opinion? Don't be ridiculous, my opinion is not worth any respect as I don't know anything about relativity to have an opinion in the first place.

Likes 1 person
I used to be a shy boy, I didn't like getting to talk to people until I realized that didn't help me grow up or learn about me at all. It's turned out then that I don't guys sitting still in a meeting till I become the first one to start the conversation. I respect all of your ideas and I always want you to speak up to share what you have in mind. Decision making is hard as always but the final decision will qualify my understandings about the issue in question. Its severity would match particular types of consequences I.e rewards vs punishment. I would work on and beyond the call of duty.

Drakkith said:
If I may ask, how much of the Big Bang Theory do you not believe in?

I just find it difficult to grasp something from nothing. But then again, I can't comprehend an infinitely old universe either. So I probably would never enter into an argument about the big bang. I would though like more evidence. Have they launched a set of parallax telescopes yet, to determine accurate distances to distant galaxies? I'm always skeptical of what appears to me to be faith based science.

Ok. I read the FAQ. I now believe in the big bang. It was the deuterium argument that sealed it.

Next time I say I don't believe in the big bang, just say; "Deuterium Om... Deuterium." :smile:

Though I'm still in favor of funding the parallax telescope system.

http://www.catholic.com/sites/default/files/images/blog/mainimages/In-science-we-trust-atheism-part-1.jpg​

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is sufficient evidence to suggest something like the big bang occured, but as far as I'm concerned, inflation seems to just be a nice story. But I follow cosmology as a spectator sport.

ZombieFeynman said:
... But I follow cosmology as a spectator sport.

A fellow armchair scientist. :biggrin:

And if anyone tries to argue evolution with you, just show them a picture of my cat.

20120528thumbelina.jpg

Unfortunately for him, he never learned to utilize his thumbs for anything useful, so I cut his balls off.

OmCheeto said:
A fellow armchair scientist. :biggrin:

Arm chair cosmologist. I am fortunate to do professional research in condensed matter physics :!), for the rest of grad school at least.

OmCheeto said:
I just find it difficult to grasp something from nothing. But then again, I can't comprehend an infinitely old universe either. So I probably would never enter into an argument about the big bang. I would though like more evidence. Have they launched a set of parallax telescopes yet, to determine accurate distances to distant galaxies? I'm always skeptical of what appears to me to be faith based science.

I was talking to my professor today and he was telling me about particles and antiparticles appearing in pairs near black holes. Since their total energy is zero, they're allowed to do that, apparently. But they appear from nothing.
Maybe that's a problem with our idea of what nothing is. Maybe according to the universe, nothing can consist of something and its opposite.

MathJakob said:

Like Choppy said, I'd say for me it depends on the person and the context. Furthermore, for me it also depends on whether the discussion is based on some sort of science (even if it's non-mainstream/fringe science) or whether the discussion is based on "voodoo" (supernatural, new age etc).

If there's no voodoo involved, I am more inclined to discuss with the person.

If there's voodoo involved, I don't bother, unless

1) they try to push voodoo into science/a scientific discussion
2) they try to push voodoo on me or someone I know (and I am present)

If this happens, I take a firm stand and make sure I let them know my position (which is naturalism & empiricism). Otherwise, I don't waste any energy. I think the energy is better spent learning, teaching and promoting science in general.

ZombieFeynman said:
Arm chair cosmologist. I am fortunate to do professional research in condensed matter physics :!), for the rest of grad school at least.

The only "condensed" thing I know about, is a milk.

:redface:

I knew a guy for a while, turned out he thought global warming was the biggest scam ever perputrated on the human race. Told me about a few books he read that proved it is a hoax. He said "Show me a *book* that proves global warming is real!" Turned out he felt the Wistar conference proved life couldn't have evolved in the time the Earth has existed, and then he told me how the 2nd law meant evolution was impossible. The next day he was no longer my doctor.

BTW, it does no good to prove them wrong, because they forget what you said. You cannot change their minds. They generally cannot be educated. Too much vested in their beliefs. (well, actually I once cured a moon-landing-denialist, but that's the only one)

“What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning.”
- Werner Heisenberg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you handle difficult people?

Dealing with difficult people is all about patience and understanding. First, I try to understand the root cause of their behavior and approach them with empathy. I also actively listen to their concerns and try to find common ground to resolve conflicts. In some cases, seeking help from a mediator or a neutral third party can also be helpful.

2. How do you communicate effectively with different types of people?

Effective communication is crucial in dealing with people. I make sure to tailor my communication style based on the individual's personality, background, and preferences. For example, some people may prefer direct and concise communication, while others may respond better to a more empathetic and personal approach.

3. How do you handle conflicts in a team setting?

In a team setting, conflicts are inevitable, but they can be managed effectively. I believe in open and honest communication, where all team members can express their concerns and work towards finding a mutually beneficial solution. Additionally, setting ground rules and promoting a culture of respect and collaboration can help prevent conflicts from arising in the first place.

4. How do you build relationships with people?

Building relationships is all about investing time and effort in getting to know people. I make an effort to actively listen, show genuine interest, and be supportive and understanding. Building trust and rapport takes time, but it is essential for establishing strong and meaningful relationships.

5. How do you handle criticism from others?

Receiving criticism can be challenging, but I try to see it as an opportunity for growth and improvement. I listen to the feedback with an open mind and take the time to reflect on it. If the criticism is valid, I use it to make necessary changes and learn from the experience. If it is unfounded, I try to communicate my perspective calmly and respectfully.