What do you use wolfram mathamatica for?

• Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date
In summary, Wolfram Mathematica is a powerful software used for mathematical calculations, data analysis, and visualization. It allows users to perform complex computations, create interactive graphics and animations, and solve equations and systems of equations. Mathematica also has built-in libraries for various fields of study, making it a valuable tool for researchers and students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Additionally, it has a user-friendly interface and supports multiple programming languages, making it accessible to users with varying levels of expertise. Overall, Wolfram Mathematica is a versatile and reliable resource for a wide range of mathematical and computational needs.
Superposed_Cat
I am currently downloading mathamatica. It sounds amazing! I was wondering hat each of you used it for or your thoughts on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's great for checking your answers, it let's you type in latex and it gives like 3 or 4 different ways you can answer a question.

I use the student version primarily for coordinate or frame based tensor computations, contour plots and 3D plots, and (most importantly!) integrals.

Superposed_Cat said:
It sounds amazing!

I didn't know it did audio processing as well as math. You learn something new on PF every day :biggrin:

Since when does it let you type in Latex? I know it can export Latex, but I don't trust it to do that.

I use Mathematica extensively in my research. Most commonly for guessing the solutions to PDEs. I still do a lot by hand, though, such as finding Ricci tensors.

AlephZero said:
I didn't know it did audio processing as well as math. You learn something new on PF every day :biggrin:

Actually I believe you can do audio and image processing in Mathematica, or at least you could write code to do so, just as you can in Matlab.

For what do I use Mathematica? Nothing. My employer has a site license for full Maple, which includes my personal laptop, so I use Maple.

You could tell us what you use Maple for...

We have a site license for Mathematica 8, so I've installed it for free. :)

I have no license at all... :shy:

Isn't there an open-source alternative to Mathematica - a program that will do symbolic math instead of just numerical?

dipole said:
i have no license at all... :shy:

Isn't there an open-source alternative to mathematica - a program that will do symbolic math instead of just numerical?

sage

Do you use it? How well does it work if so?

dipole said:
Do you use it? How well does it work if so?

I use Mathematica and have never used it, I just googled Mathematica open-source alternatives and that came up. This might help...http://www.calvin.edu/~rpruim/talks/Sage/2010-05-08-MAA/sagetalk.pdf
It seems the only open source app that comes close to Mathematica or Maple but even so they are in a different league- Going solely on reviews...

I've used Mathematica extensively for about 15 years working on a wide variety of problems. Currently I use it to study contour integration over multi-valued functions. For example, what does it look like to integrate over the inverse of a 12-degree polynomial? Well, one example is

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{\text{black}} \text{red}\; dz[/tex]

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63483&d=1383222421

Last edited:
whats that jackmell?

jackmell said:
I've used Mathematica extensively for about 15 years working on a wide variety of problems. Currently I use it to study contour integration over multi-valued functions. For example, what does it look like to integrate over the inverse of a 12-degree polynomial? Well, one example is

Link is not showing jack. Atleast, I'm not seeing it!

jackmell said:

Jack you can't delete the attachment after you use the link...It has to stay attached.
attachment.gif

Attachments

• AV2.gif
    AV2.gif
    36 KB · Views: 649
dipole said:
Isn't there an open-source alternative to Mathematica?

Axiom
Maxima
Reduce
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_algebra_system

Learning how to become really good and productive with any computer algebra system takes a very large investment of time so choose carefully. It is probably best to use what those around you, or those who you hope to be around, use and which you can get books to help you get started.

Integrals

Integrals, mid scale diagonalization routines (~60,000 dim basis), some monte carlo, plotting, nearly everything that i don't use c++ for. It's probably my favorite language, and in my opinion, only has one downside: it is impossible to format my code in a pretty way.

Superposed_Cat said:
whats that jackmell?

Hi guys. I did not think I deleted the link. Anyway, that figure is the real surface of the inverse of a particular polynomial. If we have [itex]w=a_0+a_1 z+\cdots+a_{12}z^{12}[/itex], then what is z in terms of w? Well, it's a 12-valued, complex-multi-valued function of w, [itex]z(w)[/itex], and it's real component in the domain of that plot is that figure.

But you can't draw it with built-in Mathematica functions. You have to code it yourself and I like writing graphics code and that is what I like best about Mathematica. The code I wrote to illustrate multi-valued functions is about 2000 lines of Mathematica code.

Let me try the attachment again. This time it's only the 4-cycle branch of the total figure showing the black path of integration over it:

attachment.php?attachmentid=63524&stc=1&d=1383304792.jpg

Attachments

• 4 cycle branch.jpg
    4 cycle branch.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
what language is compatible with mathamatica?

ZombieFeynman said:
.. some monte carlo...QUOTE]

where can I learn how to run monte carlo simulations online? I've always been curious about that.

lisab said:
It can be used to solve mysteries of love, too.

(x2+y2-1)3 = x2 y3
(odd, it doesn't support that fomat - cut and paste this: (x^2+y^2-1)^3 = x^2 y^3 :smile:)

I entered the following by mistake: plot x^2+y^2-1)^3 = x^2 y^3
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+x^2+y^2-1)^3+=+x^2+y^3 -the more lurid part of love, perhaps...
:rofl:
------------------------------------------------
:redface: sorry...May the Dark Knight protect me from the wrath of GD Queens...

I dare say Wolfram has too much free time...

Superposed_Cat said:
what language is compatible with mathamatica?

Mathematica.

It is possible, but perhaps well beyond what someone who has zero experience with it, to interface with external code.

The question is perhaps a little like "I don't know anything about FORTRAN, but if I got a copy then can I interface to a cloud based SQL database to update a php driven web service?"

Making anything play well with anything else is almost always way more complicated than just getting something to work by itself.

Yes you can learn how to use the CUDA libraries to use high end Nvidia graphics cards to do number crunching in conjunction with Mathematica. Yes you can write your own code in (mostly) your language of choice, compile it and link it with Mathematica. Probably best to not start there. If you are really set on using another language then perhaps just stick with that language and ignore Mathematica.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mathematica+external+code

And on your Monte Carlo question, there is an old book "Computer Simulations with Mathematica" which the book vultures are now charging high prices for, but which is a tutorial introducing a variety of simulations including Monte Carlo.

1. What is Wolfram Mathematica?

Wolfram Mathematica is a powerful computational software program used for a wide range of scientific and mathematical calculations. It allows users to perform complex computations, analyze data, create visualizations, and develop algorithms, among other capabilities.

2. How is Wolfram Mathematica used in research?

Wolfram Mathematica is used in research to perform advanced calculations and analyze large sets of data. It is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology, where complex mathematical models and simulations are often required.

3. Can Wolfram Mathematica be used for data visualization?

Yes, Wolfram Mathematica has powerful visualization tools that allow users to create 2D and 3D graphs and charts to represent data. It also has interactive features for exploring and manipulating visualizations.

4. Is Wolfram Mathematica user-friendly for non-programmers?

Wolfram Mathematica has a user-friendly interface that makes it accessible for non-programmers. Its syntax is similar to natural language, making it easier to learn and use for those without a background in programming.

5. Is it possible to integrate Wolfram Mathematica with other software or programming languages?

Yes, Wolfram Mathematica has the ability to communicate with other software and programming languages through its APIs and import/export functions. This allows for seamless integration with other tools and platforms.