Attention swirling around Ubuntu

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ubuntu
In summary, the person did not like Ubuntu because they did not have control over anything during the installation process and it was always giving errors.
klusener
There was a lot of attention swirling around Ubuntu, so I decided to try it. I don't know, it's probably nice for the people switching to Linux for the first time from Windows, but I didn't really like it. You have no control over anything during the installation process except partitioning. But that's not a serious problem and some people would look at it as a benefit. When I started the os, it gave some nice drums sounds and I was feeling good. I started firefox and it sucked. No matter what I did, there was always an error message. For example, I download something, error message, I click on Edit > Preferences, error message. Of course, maybe it can corrected by changing some configuration file for firefox, but if Ubuntu is meant for beginners, how can a beginner do something like that? Maybe it's just my computer, but I am staying away... for now.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I never had any problems like that with Ubuntu. However, I downloaded firefox from the firefox website and ran it that way, because the newest version of fx had just been released. So I guess I just used it once or twice, but I did not see any problems. Go to ubuntuforums.org and see if someone knows what is going on.

ubuntu is the most popular disto on distrowatch.com, I'm downloading it but I'm on 56k so it's taking me several nights

What exactly is the error message?

something about xml parsing... but I reinstalled 1.04 and it's fine...

Edit: I take that back, it's not fine, it keeps crashing every few minutes.. :(

Last edited:
On a large tangent, I got 10 free Ubuntu CDs and now I hav realized that all of the workstations are *edit* recently updated to 64-bit *edit* AMD not Intel so does anybody want 10 live CDs and 10 install disk for Ubuntu 1.04? I ordered the CDs about 4 months ago before we changed!

-NewScientist

Last edited:
If the workstations have 32bit processors it doesn't matter who manufactures the processors.

I've been running 64-bit Hoary on my desktop and 32-bit Hoary on my laptop with no big problems (except for getting DVD playback to work on 64-bit; a few searches on the forum, exploring software choices and adding the new repositories solved that problem). Firefox is my primary browser on both platforms. Did you follow the tips in the http://ubuntuguide.org/ ?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Ubuntu and why is there so much attention around it?

Ubuntu is a free and open-source operating system based on the Linux kernel. It was created with the goal of making a user-friendly and accessible alternative to proprietary operating systems. The attention around Ubuntu is due to its popularity and widespread use, especially in the open-source and developer communities.

2. How does Ubuntu differ from other operating systems?

Unlike proprietary operating systems, Ubuntu is completely free to use, modify, and distribute. It also offers a variety of customizable options and a large library of software through its package manager. Additionally, Ubuntu is known for its security and stability, making it a popular choice for servers and other critical systems.

3. What are some key features of Ubuntu?

Some key features of Ubuntu include its user-friendly interface, built-in security features, and a vast library of software through its package manager. It also offers regular updates and long-term support for its releases, making it a reliable choice for both personal and professional use.

4. Is Ubuntu suitable for all types of users?

Ubuntu is designed to be accessible and user-friendly for all types of users, including beginners and advanced users alike. Its customizable options also make it suitable for a variety of purposes, from personal use to large-scale server environments.

5. How can I get started with Ubuntu?

To get started with Ubuntu, you can visit the official Ubuntu website and download the latest version for free. You can then follow the installation instructions to set up the operating system on your computer. There are also many online resources and communities available for support and guidance on using Ubuntu.