Is a physics minor of any use?

In summary: Physics can certainly help you to understand more about the world.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a minor in physics despite lacking a strong math background. It is argued that a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry is sufficient for first-year physics courses, and that a minor in physics can be beneficial for career prospects in fields such as journalism. The conversation also mentions the potential benefits of self-studying math and taking AP courses to catch up on math skills. The value of a minor is debated, with some arguing that it can be beneficial in certain job markets. Ultimately, the conversation encourages pursuing interests and learning for the sake of personal growth and understanding.
Manzuoni
Hello, I'm a high school junior and as such, it's around that time where I need to start seriously considering colleges (UC Berkeley and UCLA are my top choices) and all that wonderful jazz as I move towards "real life." Anyways, I love physics since I took the course this year and have a real passion for it and would love to go to college for it. The problem is my math isn't really that strong (I'm in algebra 2 whereas many of my peers are in Pre-Calculus) and that I'd have more of a chance getting into college based on my english work as well, as I've had several pieces published in various magazines plus contests and whatnot.

The question is, if I wanted to minor in Physics would it be of any use beyond simply knowledge and engaging my brain or could I use it as a stepping stone to perhaps be a physics author or journalist or such?

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus...whee? I'm not even sure I know what the difference is. If you're interested in pursuing it, don't let this stop you. A solid grounding in fundamental algebra and some basic knowledge of trigonometry are most of what you need for first-year physics, and first year calculus is usually taken concurrently. You might need to take a trig class or something like that if you don't get the experience to place out of it while in high school, but the time involved in making up the difference isn't huge if you take it seriously and apply yourself to studying it.

If you're interested in science journalism, I can't see it hurting to know more about your chosen subject. A physics minor generally includes a low-level exposure to topics like thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, relativity, or experimental and mathematical methods beyond the usual freshman sequence. I don't know what it will do for your career prospects, but it's fun, interesting, and good experience in approaching analytical problems. If you end up majoring in physics...strong writing skills are important here too.

I think it is a good idea, your physics minor will really help you stand out when applying for jobs in scientific journalism.

Something you might not like to hear, however, is that a physics minor will expose you to quite a bit of the same math as you would see in a full-length physics major. The important feature of a minor for you is that it takes fewer years of classes, and so you can spend a full year catching up on math (calculus) before starting the physics courses.

Lastly, I want to say that your situation was very similar to my own, when I realized the summer before my senior year that I wanted to study physics. I was in alg2 instead of precalculus as a junior, but I found out that calculus was quite important to physics. Until this point I had low B and C grades in math, including in alg2. What I did was go to the school library during the summer and self-study the precalculus (mostly trigonometry) and then convinced the calculus teacher in the fall to let me in her class. The reason I recommend doing this is:

1) Credit on the AP Calculus exam makes college easier!

2) You never know, you might want to finish the entire physics major (dual major with journalism/etc). I did this with philosophy and physics.

3) You can write on your college application that you did self-study to get into Calculus!

The path I recommend is not easy but your high level of excitement for the subject of physics should be enough to carry you through the difficulties with the math. I don't know about you, but I cared little math all the way through alg2, and it was only when I took calculus that I saw I really liked math as well.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I don't think any minor is actually worth anything in the workplace. Do it if you are interested in the subject... it's certainly worth doing it for that reason.

TMFKAN64 said:
Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I don't think any minor is actually worth anything in the workplace.

That is not always true. The worth of a minor depends on the talents and skills of the person with this minor and the various companies or organizations which may hire the person. I do not say this specifically about physics; but a minor in Math can make a person an excellent teacher candidate; a minor in Chemistry can be enough for someone to become a scientist in industry, or a chemist, or technical coordinator. Such things DO HAPPEN.

Do it if you are interested in the subject... it's certainly worth doing it for that reason.
Certainly, very often true. Better to learn something you find interesting than to not learn about it.

I'm taking the AP Physics course my school offers next year which will delve into some college-level ideas and maybe that'll give me a taste of what I can expect. Most likely I'll take the minor because I feel I'm most talented in english. Alan Lightman has really inspired me in how he is able to blend physics and literature so adroitly so perhaps I could branch off of something like that.

symbolipoint said:
The worth of a minor depends on the talents and skills of the person with this minor and the various companies or organizations which may hire the person. I do not say this specifically about physics; but a minor in Math can make a person an excellent teacher candidate; a minor in Chemistry can be enough for someone to become a scientist in industry, or a chemist, or technical coordinator. Such things DO HAPPEN.

You *personally* know people who got a job specifically because of their minor? I'm asking sincerely... because I honestly don't believe that it happens.

I'm a firm believe that studying is good and more studying is better... but it always seemed to me that a minor is an opportunity to focus on something you aren't necessarily interested in as a career, but nevertheless have an intense curiosity about. I minored in economics, although I have no interest in business whatsoever. I don't regret it at all... I learned a lot, but the value to my career has been exactly zero.

Let me clarify my position a bit... taking *courses* is always valuable.

Calling a particular set of courses a *degree* has economic value.

Calling a particular set of courses a *minor* gives no additional value beyond the inherent value of the courses.

TMFKAN64 said:
Let me clarify my position a bit... taking *courses* is always valuable.

Yeah...um...

Heh. Well, I could probably use another English course or three... :smile:

TMFKAN64 said:
Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I don't think any minor is actually worth anything in the workplace.

I'm with TMFKAN64. Minors are nearly (or maybe completely) worthless. Undergraduate classes in physics that don't result in a physics major are also nearly worthless.

The primary reason to get a minor is people might wonder why you didn't. But then, they might not.

Locrian said:
Undergraduate classes in physics that don't result in a physics major are also nearly worthless.

Why do you say so? You can only major in one subject (leaving two majors and double majors aside). Whats wrong with undergraduate classes in physics that don't result in a physics major? Whatever happened to interest and initiative?

maverick280857 said:
Why do you say so? You can only major in one subject (leaving two majors and double majors aside). Whats wrong with undergraduate classes in physics that don't result in a physics major? Whatever happened to interest and initiative?

You have no reason to be upset about what maverick28... said. Smart employers would look at your transcripts. Either the physics courses were useful or they were not useful for you. If they were mostly useful, you can discuss this favorably. If they were mostly not useful, then both you and the employer should wonder why you took so many of them.

symbolipoint said:
You have no reason to be upset about what maverick28... said. Smart employers would look at your transcripts. Either the physics courses were useful or they were not useful for you. If they were mostly useful, you can discuss this favorably. If they were mostly not useful, then both you and the employer should wonder why you took so many of them.

symbolipoint, I think you misunderstood my statement. I was trying to ask Locrian why he said that a minor or undergraduate physics courses which don't lead to a physics major are useless. I don't agree with the assertion that they are useless, but perhaps Locrian had a point in saying what he did. I was just trying to ask him why he said so. (Perhaps you didn't notice that I had quoted him?)

This is what Locrian said, which was quoted by me:

Locrian said:
I'm with TMFKAN64. Minors are nearly (or maybe completely) worthless. Undergraduate classes in physics that don't result in a physics major are also nearly worthless.

So, nobody has any reason to be upset by what maverick280857 (that would be me) said! :smile: I don't have the privilege of a minor or a double major. If I did, I most certainly would have double majored or minored in Physics. I don't see how an employer will be biased against you if you have a minor/double major. At least not here. I would recommend anyone who is interested in two subjects to go for it if he/she can manage it. For most of us, an undergraduate degree is the only time we can explore our interests...so if you want to do something beyond your standard curriculum and it doesn't hurt, what's the harm in doing it?

Last edited:
I don't think anybody would say that a minor is ever *harmful*... and I'd certainly encourage people to study more physics if that interests them. Studying physics certainly sharpens the mind, even if it doesn't particularly help with sentence structure. :smile:

I just don't think that potential employers are particularly impressed with them. Especially since after gaining a bit of actual experience, no one really cares about what you did as an undergraduate beyond acquiring a degree anyway.

TMFKAN64 said:
I just don't think that potential employers are particularly impressed with them. Especially since after gaining a bit of actual experience, no one really cares about what you did as an undergraduate beyond acquiring a degree anyway.

That is certainly logical. A minor would probably help, perhaps, if you want to go to grad school to specialize in the subject you minored in.

The way I see it, it doesn't harm a bit to have any extra experience in anything. It's better than nothing.

Is it of any use? It adds that extra experience that some other person that is trying to get hired probably doesn't have.

The way I see it is like getting into school. Extra-curricular things might not add any academic significance to the person applying, but it sure does help in differentiating one applicant from another.

maverick280857 said:
...so if you want to do something beyond your standard curriculum and it doesn't hurt, what's the harm in doing it?

If it's free? Not much. Somehow the bar has been moved from "is it useful" to "is it harmful". If it's free, it's not harmful. If it's not free, it could be harmful because it has little to no benefit and college can come with a heavy price tag these days.

There are exceptions, of course, but I don't see one here.

Alright, thanks guys. I think I'm going to go for the minor at first but then we'll see which of my two passions overtakes the other. Figured it's the most logical option.

1. What career paths can I pursue with a physics minor?

A physics minor can open up a variety of career opportunities, such as research positions in the fields of physics, engineering, and technology. It can also be useful for pursuing a career in education, data analysis, or even finance and consulting.

2. Is a physics minor helpful for graduate school?

Yes, a physics minor can be very helpful for graduate school, especially if you are planning to pursue a master's or PhD in a related field. It can demonstrate your strong foundation in physics and can make you stand out among other applicants.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to pursue a physics minor?

While a strong background in math can be beneficial, it is not a requirement for a physics minor. Many universities offer introductory-level physics courses for students with little to no prior knowledge in the subject.

4. Will a physics minor be too challenging if I am majoring in a different field?

The difficulty of a physics minor can vary depending on the university and the courses you choose. However, if you have a strong interest in the subject and are willing to put in the effort, a physics minor can be a rewarding and manageable addition to your major.

5. What skills can I gain from a physics minor?

A physics minor can help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also involves a significant amount of hands-on experimentation, which can improve your practical and technical skills. Additionally, a physics minor can enhance your understanding of the fundamental laws that govern our universe, providing a valuable perspective in any field of study or career.