Name the following organic molecule (IUPAC)

In summary, the organic molecule shown in the image is named 3-methylidenepentane, also known as 2-ethyl-1-butene. The presence of a double bond takes priority over the longest carbon chain when naming the molecule according to IUPAC guidelines.
PAR
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
3-pentene would actually be 2-pentene, and it would look something like this (excluding H's)

C-C=C-C-C or C-C-C=C-C

I see what you were trying to get at, but when you say 3-pentene, you're saying there is a 5 carbon chain that is the longest (correct) AND that there is a double bond connecting the 3rd and 4th carbon atoms =)

Here's my hint: try starting off at the double bond, and work your way up. What do you get now?

Last edited:
Slats18 said:
3-pentene would actually be 2-pentene, and it would look something like this (excluding H's)

C-C=C-C-C or C-C-C=C-C

I see what you were trying to get at, but when you say 3-pentene, you're saying there is a 5 carbon chain that is the longest (correct) AND that there is a double bond connecting the 3rd and 4th carbon atoms =)

Makes sense, so is it 2-ethyl-1-butene? Does the fact that it contains a double bond take priority over the longest carbon chain?

That's what I believe it to be =) Been over a year since I've done this, but I think it does for convience, as its just a C=C double bond. Different when it's a C=O double bond, as you could call it 3-pentanone. Either way, I think it's just easier to call it 2-ethyl-1-butene =)

IUPAC name is 3-methylidenepentane.

1. What is the IUPAC name for this organic molecule?

The IUPAC name for this organic molecule is the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry name, which is a systematic way of naming organic compounds based on their molecular structure.

2. How is the IUPAC name determined for an organic molecule?

The IUPAC name is determined by identifying the longest carbon chain in the molecule and numbering the carbons in that chain. Functional groups and substituents are then added to the name in alphabetical order, with their corresponding carbon numbers noted.

3. What is the purpose of using IUPAC names for organic molecules?

The purpose of using IUPAC names is to have a standardized and universal system for naming organic compounds. This makes it easier for scientists to communicate and share information about different molecules, as well as to avoid confusion and errors in chemical reactions and experiments.

4. Are there any exceptions or variations in the IUPAC naming system?

There are some exceptions and variations in the IUPAC naming system, particularly for complex molecules or those with multiple functional groups or substituents. In these cases, prefixes and suffixes may be used to indicate the specific location and arrangement of these groups.

5. Can I use common or trivial names instead of IUPAC names for organic molecules?

While common or trivial names may be easier to remember and use, they are not as precise and specific as IUPAC names. It is always recommended to use the IUPAC name when communicating about organic molecules in a scientific context.