Tensor Questions: Significance & Using Einstein's Equations

• Thread starter khemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary: I'll need to think about this stuff for a while.In summary, the physical significance of a contravariant and covariant tensor is that it allows for the expression of physical laws in a coordinate-independent manner. These tensors transform differently under general transformations and are used to ensure that observable physical phenomena correspond to scalars. Tensors can have both contravariant and covariant components and can be converted between the two. In modern physics, it is more intuitive to think of tensors as multilinear mappings of vectors and one forms into the reals. In terms of calculating orbits, the Schwarzschild metric and geodesic equation can be used to solve for the geodesic along which the object will move.
khemist
I have been watching lecture videos on relativity and I have two questions that have not really been answered yet.

1. What is the physical significance of a contravariant and covariant tensor? I understand the indices are writing either "upstairs" or "downstairs," but in the lecture video, the lecturer seems to claim that it really doesn't matter which is which, except for particular cases.

2. How would one use Einsteins equations to calculate, say, the orbit of mercury? What is the kind of information necessary to find those values? If anyone has any resources about implementing the equations to a problem that would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
khemist said:
2. How would one use Einsteins equations to calculate, say, the orbit of mercury? What is the kind of information necessary to find those values? If anyone has any resources about implementing the equations to a problem that would be awesome!

http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch06/ch06.html#Section6.2

See subsection 6.2.6.

Last edited by a moderator:
khemist said:
1. What is the physical significance of a contravariant and covariant tensor? I understand the indices are writing either "upstairs" or "downstairs," but in the lecture video, the lecturer seems to claim that it really doesn't matter which is which, except for particular cases.
It's very hard to explain this without mathematics.

In flat spacetime we can define a point ( which may be the tip of as vector) using 4 numbers. But in curved spacetime we need two sets of 4 numbers, which are called the contravariant and covariant components. The reason for this is to ensure that the scalars we get by 'contracting' covariant and contravariant tensors are unchanged under coordinate transformations.

So, the physical significance is that observable physical phenomena (which must not depend on a choice of coordinates) must correspond to scalars formed by contracting tensors. Thus the laws of physics must be expressed in tensors or some equivalent formulation.

( see, I said it was hard ...)

Mentz114 said:
It's very hard to explain this without mathematics.

In flat spacetime we can define a point ( which may be the tip of as vector) using 4 numbers. But in curved spacetime we need two sets of 4 numbers, which are called the contravariant and covariant components. The reason for this is to ensure that the scalars we get by 'contracting' covariant and contravariant tensors are unchanged under coordinate transformations.

So, the physical significance is that observable physical phenomena (which must not depend on a choice of coordinates) must correspond to scalars formed by contracting tensors. Thus the laws of physics must be expressed in tensors or some equivalent formulation.

( see, I said it was hard ...)
Feel free to throw the math out here.

So are you saying that any tensor has both contravariant and covariant indices, regardless of the fact the index is written up or downstairs? Or any tensor can be converted from contra to co variant?

I guess more specifically, why would one write a tensor with a contravariant index over covariant, or vise versa?

Thanks for the resource, bcrowell.

Last edited:
The covariant and contravariant components of an object transform the same as long as you restrict yourself to Lorentz transformations, but as soon as you consider more general transformations they transform differently. Contravariant components transform like a position vector while covariant components transform like a gradient. For example if you do a scale transformation x' = α x, contravariant components become larger by a factor α, while covariant components become smaller by a factor 1/α.

Bill_K said:
The covariant and contravariant components of an object transform the same as long as you restrict yourself to Lorentz transformations, but as soon as you consider more general transformations they transform differently. Contravariant components transform like a position vector while covariant components transform like a gradient. For example if you do a scale transformation x' = α x, contravariant components become larger by a factor α, while covariant components become smaller by a factor 1/α.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks very much.

Do all tensors have both types of components? I would assume not.

khemist said:
Feel free to throw the math out here.

So are you saying that any tensor has both contravariant and covariant indices, regardless of the fact the index is written up or downstairs? Or any tensor can be converted from contra to co variant?
Thanks for the resource, bcrowell.

Yes. The indexes of a tensor are raised or lowered by operating on it with the metric. For a vector

[tex]
U^\mu=g^{\mu\alpha}U_\alpha = g^{\mu 0}U_0 + g^{\mu 1}U_1 + g^{\mu 2}U_2 + g^{\mu 3}U_3
[/tex]

The tensors Rab, Rab and Rab are the same thing expressed in different components.

I'm not sure what you mean by this

"I guess more specifically, why would one write a tensor with a contravariant index over covariant, or vise versa?"

[Edit : I was misreading that question. ]

You can use whatever is required by the situation. These equations represent the same physics

[tex]
f_\mu= A_{\mu\nu}j^\nu,\ \ \ f^\mu= A^{\mu\nu}j_\nu
[/tex]

Last edited:
I think the whole contravariant and covariant concept is outdated nowadays. It is more intuitive to think of tensors as multilinear mappings of vectors and one forms into the reals where, in this case, vectors are what you would recognize as contravariant and one forms as covariant. A vector can be seen, in GR at least, as being part of the set of vectors existing in the tangent space to a 4 - manifold at some one point on the manifold. A one form can then be seen as part of the set of one forms existing in the cotangent space to the 4 - manifold at some point on the manifold. A tensor takes such one forms and vectors and maps them into the reals.

As for the orbit of mercury you could use the schwarzschild metric for the geodesic equation to solve for the geodesic along which the object will move as a function of say proper time.

Thanks for the excellent responses.

1. What are Tensor Equations and why are they significant in science?

Tensor equations are mathematical equations that describe physical phenomena in the language of tensors. Tensors are mathematical objects that represent the relationships between physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. They are significant in science because they allow us to describe the laws of physics in a concise and elegant way, and they are essential for understanding the theory of relativity.

2. How did Einstein's equations revolutionize our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's equations, also known as the Einstein field equations, are a set of ten nonlinear partial differential equations that describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. They revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a unified framework for understanding gravity and predicting the behavior of massive objects, such as planets and stars, in the universe.

3. What is the role of tensors in Einstein's equations?

Tensors play a crucial role in Einstein's equations as they are used to describe the curvature of space-time. In general relativity, the curvature of space-time is a manifestation of the distribution of matter and energy, and tensors allow us to mathematically represent this relationship. This allows us to make precise predictions about the behavior of objects in the presence of massive bodies, such as black holes.

4. How are tensor equations used in practical applications?

Tensor equations have numerous practical applications in science and engineering. In astrophysics, they are used to study the behavior of objects in the universe, from galaxies to black holes. In engineering, tensor equations are used in the design of structures and materials to ensure their stability and strength. They are also used in computer graphics and imaging to model and manipulate 3D objects.

5. What are some common misconceptions about tensor equations?

One common misconception about tensor equations is that they are only used in the theory of relativity. While they are essential in understanding relativity, they have many other applications in various fields of science and engineering. Additionally, many people believe that tensor equations are difficult to understand and use, but with proper mathematical training and practice, they can be mastered like any other mathematical concept.