Watching an aeroplane through a window

• Thread starter bill nye scienceguy!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary: It is just very very far away and the time it takes for light to travel that distance is too long to measure. In summary, the author is trying to find the speed of an image of a plane as it travels across a window. He uses an equation to calculate the speed. If the flight direction is not parallel with the window, the speed becomes infinite.
bill nye scienceguy!
As I was sitting at work the other day productively watching an aeroplane fly across the window I started to think of this problem.

If I measure the time it takes for the image of the plane to track across a known distance on the window I can quickly calculate a speed at which the image is travelling. Assuming I know the distance of the plane, how can I extrapolate its absolute velocity?

Is it as simple as using similar triangles to estimate the absolute distance that the plane has traveled in the measured time and calculating from that or do I need to get reference frames involved?

Obviously this approach assumes I can accurately estimate how far away a plane is...

Physics news on Phys.org
Triangles should be enough.

If the flight direction is not parallel with the window, things may go a little more complicated.

I was assuming that the travel was parallel to the window, in which case my triangles method is good enough.

If it were going into or away from the window, how would I go about it? I used to be pretty hot at transforming between different coordinate systems in 2d solid mechanics but dynamics was never my strong suit.

Still a triangle, just you will need two distances - one for each side of the window.

If you have the following data:

W: window width,
h: the distance from the viewer to the window,
β: the angle between the flight direction and the window ( positive angle when it is getting away from and negative when its coming toward the window)

t: the measured time
L: the distance from the viewer to the plane when it first appears in the window frame,

then for the speed v, you would come up with the following expression:

v=[itex]\frac{4hWL}{t\sqrt{W^{2}+4h^{2}}}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{4hcosβ-Wsinβ}[/itex]

It can be seen that for some large angles, v becomes infinite. This is because the plane doesn't disappear from the one sides of the window.

1. How does an airplane fly?

An airplane flies through the principles of aerodynamics. The shape of the wings and the angle at which they are positioned create lift, while the engines provide thrust to move the airplane forward.

2. Why do airplanes have windows?

Airplanes have windows for several reasons. They allow natural light into the cabin, provide a view for passengers, and also serve as emergency exits. Additionally, windows help distribute stress and pressure on the airplane's structure during flight.

3. How do pilots see through the cockpit windows during bad weather?

During bad weather, pilots use instruments such as radar and GPS to navigate the plane. They also rely on visual cues such as runway lights and markings. Cockpit windows are designed to withstand extreme weather conditions and provide a clear view for pilots.

4. Can you open windows on an airplane?

No, airplane windows are sealed shut and cannot be opened during flight. This is for the safety and comfort of passengers, as opening windows could affect the pressure and temperature inside the cabin.

5. Why can't I always see the wings of the airplane from my window seat?

The position of the wings in relation to the window seat can vary depending on the type of airplane and the seating configuration. Some window seats may offer a better view of the wings, while others may not. Additionally, the wings may be obstructed by the airplane's structure or by the angle of the window.