The minimum cost of converting static pressure into dynamic pressure

In summary, it is possible to convert static pressure into velocity pressure through the use of a nozzle and induction, but it requires a specific set of conditions and cannot be achieved simply by using a magnetic field and ionized gas.
kmarinas86
Can static pressure be induced to becoming dynamic pressure through the use of "right-angle forces" with respect to particle velocities? I imagine that one could accomplish this with an ionized gas and a magnetic field. This would reduce the amount of work that is need to accelerate the gas. Furthermore, what happens if one were to convert so much of the static pressure into dynamic pressure that the static pressure would fall below the ambient pressure of the atmosphere? Could the atmosphere itself do radial work on our system as soon as we relieve the dynamic pressure by allowing that dynamic pressure to do rotational work?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure what you mean, but all you need to convert static pressure to velocity pressure is a nozzle. And nozzles can be pretty efficient.

Also, you can use a high velocity airstream to induce additional flow. This is called induction.

russ_watters said:
I'm not really sure what you mean, but all you need to convert static pressure to velocity pressure is a nozzle. And nozzles can be pretty efficient.

Also, you can use a high velocity airstream to induce additional flow. This is called induction.

Are there any common mechanisms where one can convert static pressure into velocity pressure in a fixed volume (i.e. dV = 0)?

I can't make sense of that either. Fixed volume of what?

russ_watters said:
I can't make sense of that either. Fixed volume of what?

= the volume occupied by the particles = no expanding or contracting walls, and all (would be) outlets are sealed

Velocity pressure is from air being in motion. How do you propose to have air in motion if there is nowhere for it to go? It is very unclear to me what you are asking. Could you please explain in more detail what you are hoping to accomplish?

russ_watters said:
Velocity pressure is from air being in motion. How do you propose to have air in motion if there is nowhere for it to go?

It could rotate.

russ_watters said:
It is very unclear to me what you are asking. Could you please explain in more detail what you are hoping to accomplish?

I am trying to conceive of a way where one could take that static pressure inside a closed volume, and without any direct contact, through use of an external field, induce a net rotation leading to a conversion of the static pressure into velocity pressure corresponding to kinetic energy that can actually be tapped to do useful work in excess of the work incidental in converting the static pressure into velocity pressure.

How is that not an explicit violation of conservation of energy?

russ_watters said:
How is that not an explicit violation of conservation of energy?

The keyword "tapped" suggests something already exists which is "tapped" (suggesting that it was not created by the user doing the tapping) and then used for a purpose such as "to do useful work".

kmarinas86 said:
I imagine that one could accomplish this with an ionized gas and a magnetic field.
A magnetic field can accelerate ionized gas, but this would not directly result in a reduction of pressure. As mentioned above, once the ionized gas is accelerated, it could then be driven through a nozzle to increase it's speed and reduce it's pressure, but then that ionized gas has to end up somewhere. An ion rocket thruster uses this principle, but these are only practical in outer space. The wiki article explains the issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
A magnetic field can accelerate ionized gas, but this would not directly result in a reduction of pressure. As mentioned above, once the ionized gas is accelerated, it could then be driven through a nozzle to increase it's speed and reduce it's pressure, but then that ionized gas has to end up somewhere. An ion rocket thruster uses this principle, but these are only practical in outer space. The wiki article explains the issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

Are you referring to static pressure or total pressure?

rcgldr said:
A magnetic field can accelerate ionized gas, but this would not directly result in a reduction of pressure ... ion thruster ...

kmarinas86 said:
Are you referring to static pressure or total pressure?
Any change in static or total pressure can not be determined with just the presence of a magnetic field and it's effect on an ionized gas. You need to know something about what the ionized gas is flowing through and the "reservoir" that the gas "exits" into, such as the case of a ion thruster in space where the gas exits into the vacuum of outer space, and any nozzle used for the ion thruster.

Last edited:

1. What is static pressure and dynamic pressure?

Static pressure is the measure of the force exerted by a fluid on a surface, while dynamic pressure is the measure of the kinetic energy of the fluid particles in motion.

2. Why is it important to convert static pressure into dynamic pressure?

Static pressure alone does not account for the energy of the fluid in motion, which is necessary for many applications such as airfoil design and fluid flow calculations.

3. How is the minimum cost of converting static pressure into dynamic pressure determined?

The minimum cost is determined by analyzing the design and materials needed for the conversion, taking into account factors such as efficiency and longevity.

4. What are some common methods for converting static pressure into dynamic pressure?

Some common methods include using pumps or compressors, using nozzles or diffusers, or even using changes in elevation to convert potential energy into kinetic energy.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to converting static pressure into dynamic pressure?

Some limitations include the potential for energy loss during the conversion process, as well as increased complexity and cost in designing and maintaining the conversion system.