What speed would a satellite have to be placed to make it into orbit?

In summary: The radius of a circular orbit must be constant (or else it wouldn't be a circle!). That means the net radially-directed acceleration (or force) must be zero. What two accelerations act to reach a balance for a circular orbit? Or in other words, what two forces are acting?
joe426

Homework Statement

JHBmJ.png

Homework Equations

F = G(m1m2/r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the height of Mt. Everest is 8,848 m. And I'm guessing the no atmosphere and not turning on an axis is just to setup the ideal problem. But from there I don't know how to set up the equation so that the satellite is placed into orbit.

Physics news on Phys.org
joe426 said:

Homework Statement

JHBmJ.png

Homework Equations

F = G(m1m2/r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the height of Mt. Everest is 8,848 m. And I'm guessing the no atmosphere and not turning on an axis is just to setup the ideal problem. But from there I don't know how to set up the equation so that the satellite is placed into orbit.

What's the circular orbit speed for a satellite orbiting at an altitude of 8848m?

gneill said:
What's the circular orbit speed for a satellite orbiting at an altitude of 8848m?

I dunno. How would I find it without given mass?

I know that centrip acceleration is equal to v^2 / r. Would I set that to 0 and solve for v?

joe426 said:
I know that centrip acceleration is equal to v^2 / r. Would I set that to 0 and solve for v?

Nope. Right formula, but the centripetal acceleration won't be zero. What acceleration will balance it to make the total come out to zero?

gneill said:
Nope. Right formula, but the centripetal acceleration won't be zero. What acceleration will balance it to make the total come out to zero?

94 m/s?
Not sure what you mean by, "balance it to make the total come out to zero?"

Last edited:
joe426 said:
94 m/s?
Not sure what you mean by, "balance it to make the total come out to zero?"

The radius of a circular orbit must be constant (or else it wouldn't be a circle!). That means the net radially-directed acceleration (or force) must be zero. What two accelerations act to reach a balance for a circular orbit? Or in other words, what two forces are acting?

1. What is the definition of orbit?

An orbit is the curved path that an object takes around a larger object, such as a planet or a star, due to the force of gravity.

2. How does the speed of a satellite affect its orbit?

The speed of a satellite directly affects the shape and size of its orbit. An increase in speed will cause the satellite to move into a higher orbit, while a decrease in speed will cause it to move into a lower orbit.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of a satellite and the force of gravity?

The speed of a satellite and the force of gravity are inversely proportional. This means that as the speed of a satellite increases, the force of gravity pulling it towards the center of its orbit decreases.

4. Why does a satellite need to be traveling at a certain speed to maintain its orbit?

A satellite needs to be traveling at a certain speed, known as orbital velocity, in order to balance the force of gravity pulling it towards the center of its orbit. If the satellite is not traveling at this speed, it will either crash into the larger object or fly off into space.

5. What factors determine the speed required for a satellite to enter orbit?

The speed required for a satellite to enter orbit is determined by the mass of the larger object, the distance between the satellite and the larger object, and the gravitational constant. These factors can be calculated using the formula for orbital velocity: v = √(G M / r), where v is the orbital velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the satellite and the larger object.