Solving Max Acceleration for Physics 1 Mid-Semester

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the maximum acceleration and velocity of a bird landing on a slender branch with simple harmonic motion. The equation a= -ω2x is used to find the maximum acceleration, which is when the displacement is maximum. The maximum velocity is right before impact and can be found by using the equation for displacement x=Asin(ωt) and the definition of velocity. The last question asks to express the acceleration as a fraction of gravity, but it is not clear how to do so.
sejr
Helping a friend out with some physics 1 mid-semester and It's been a little since I have had a physics course... so the question is

"If a 30 g bird lands on a slender branch where it oscillates up and down with simple harmonic motion of amplitude 3.00 x 10^-2m and period 1.2 s"...

trying to find an equation to solve for max acceleration, expressed as a fraction of the acceleration of Gravity as well as maximum speed... any help would really be appreciated and thanks a lot to anyone that reads this

Physics news on Phys.org
SHM is defined as

a= -ω2x

Thus a will be max when x (displacement) is maximum. So at what value of x will the displacement be maximum?

I don't have a key and I feel like I may be way off but here is what I have so far

f= 1/t so F=.83 Hz

A= (2(3.14)f)^2 x
so A=27x

then for X,

X=Acos2(3.14)f(t)

wouldn't it be 3?

or would it be 6? I am confused in what to do with amplitude, if amplitude is 3 cm, that would mean peak to trough is 6 cm? Correct? Is that what I would go with?

Its asking for the max speed and acceleration of the bird, the thing that throws me off is I don't know if it is asking for the speed the bird landed on the branch or the speed which it actually oscillates

sejr said:
I don't have a key and I feel like I may be way off but here is what I have so far

f= 1/t so F=.83 Hz

A= (2(3.14)f)^2 x
so A=27x

then for X,

X=Acos2(3.14)f(t)

Right and the maximum value of X is A.

Ok great, A as in amplitude or acceleration... sorry, thanks again

sejr said:
Ok great, A as in amplitude or acceleration... sorry, thanks again

A as in amplitude.

So then, would speed maximum or minimum when the finch hits max acceleration?

sejr said:
So then, would speed maximum or minimum when the finch hits max acceleration?

Well when your displacement is zero, you would have maximum velocity.

Remember the bird is landing from some height. So as it hits, it will be at maximum velocity.

If we go back to your equation for displacement x=Asin(ωt), how would you find velocity from this?

makes sense, since the bird has yet to transfer its energy to the branch... Plug in amplitude -sin and multiply with the angular force times time period...?

So to get this straight, and I really appreciate all of this,

A as in amplitude
A= (2(3.14)f)^2 x
so A=27x

I would plug A= 27x and then solve for X which would be my maximum acceleration? In this case 3=27x so x would be 9 cm/s

Maximum Velocity would be the moment before impact?

The last thing it asks

is to express it as a fraction of the acceleration of gravity, so just 9cm/s^2?

sejr said:
makes sense, since the bird has yet to transfer its energy to the branch... Plug in amplitude -sin and multiply with the angular force times time period...?

So to get this straight, and I really appreciate all of this,

A as in amplitude
A= (2(3.14)f)^2 x
so A=27x

I would plug A= 27x and then solve for X which would be my maximum acceleration? In this case 3=27x so x would be 9 cm/s

Maximum Velocity would be the moment before impact?

The last thing it asks

No, if x=Asin(ωt), how would you get velocity? Hint: What is the definition of velocity?

sejr said:
is to express it as a fraction of the acceleration of gravity, so just 9cm/s^2?

You can express the acceleration as a fraction of gravity as both are acceleration terms. If you want to express velocity in terms of gravity then your units will not make too much sense.

1. What is max acceleration and how is it calculated?

Max acceleration is the maximum rate of change of velocity over a given time interval. It measures how quickly the velocity of an object is changing at a specific point in time. This can be calculated using the formula a = (v2 - v1) / t, where v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How is max acceleration related to velocity and displacement?

Max acceleration is directly related to velocity and displacement. As acceleration is the change in velocity over time, a greater acceleration will result in a larger change in velocity. This in turn will affect the displacement of an object, as a larger change in velocity will result in a greater change in position over time.

3. What factors can affect max acceleration?

There are several factors that can affect max acceleration, including the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the surface or medium the object is moving in. Other factors such as air resistance, friction, and incline can also impact the max acceleration of an object.

4. How can max acceleration be represented graphically?

Max acceleration can be represented on a velocity vs. time graph as a steep slope, indicating a large change in velocity over a small time interval. On a displacement vs. time graph, it can be represented as a curved line, where the steeper the curve, the greater the acceleration.

5. How is max acceleration used in real-world applications?

Max acceleration is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the performance of vehicles, designing roller coasters, and determining the limits of human endurance in activities like space travel or extreme sports. It is also important in understanding the motion and behavior of celestial bodies in the universe.