Getting Started with Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)

In summary: You can also use magnetic fields to excite the coil, set up fields in Maxwell 3D (in 'fields' tab -> add -> external -> select your coil).I hope this helps, if not feel free to ask more questions.Thanks in advance!Hello, I need help with a problem with my electromagnetic simulation. I have successfully created a model of a coil, with 5 layers and 354 turns, but when I try to simulate the coil, I get the following message: "There is no solution data to display". I have tried five times to run the simulation, and the results are always the same. I am using Maxwell 13 for 3D modeling. Can you help me?
Thank you very much Gerbi..
it works really (your calc. definitions)... for the other one i guess i need to perform FFT program ouside...
thanx with regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
RMxprt (ANSOFT)

Hi gerbi..
i have done the modelling of three phase induction machine in RMxprt. i gave data's such as stator information, rotor information, winding information. when i export this to Maxwell 2D, i am not able to get the full model, its coming as only half model. how can i get the full model when exporting into maxwell 2d??

thnks
with regards
siva

I have no expierence in RMxpert, but if You have half of the model and You want full.. how about duplicating it (mirror) and uniting cutted parts in Maxwell?

For core loss, I have not done much but here is what I believe.

The core loss data set in Maxwell is used to define Cm, X and Y three parameters (after fitting the loss curve). With these three parameters, the core loss is calculated at any give frequency when the simulation runs.

For thermal, basically you need define how these three parameters change with temperature, either by a equation or data set.

Again, I have not done much but that is what I understand. However, simulation results about core loss in Maxwell is not that accurate.

cimopata said:
Thanks for your help!

Yes, I found this options and I adjusted the core losses in 25°C(by the "power ferrit" core loss type).
Actually I'm using N87 ferrit core. I already can measure the core loss. The results is very nice :)
The next step what I would like to do is the "Thermal modifier".
By the core loss type I have Power ferrite. There is 3 value (Cm, X, Y). Every value have "Edit thermal modifier" option. In this window how can I adjust the loss for example 100°C?

Thanks!
Best Regards!
Bálint

When you run transient simulation, the initial setup only use the initial mesh. It doesn't refine the mesh as it does in Magnetostatic.

cimopata said:
Other quoestion:

The simulation is very slow. 50us transient (0.5us step) takes about 20 hour. I would like to speed up. My toroids dimension is about 50mmx16mm. What is the recomended mesh size (faster simulation/precise caltulation).

My compure:
Intel core i7
6GB 1333mHz RAM

Thanks!

I believe distributed mode needs separate license.

cimopata said:
Thanks gerbi!

I am going to try it!

Maybe have you any experience the distributed mode computing between computers?
I tried, but there is something error message:
"Error: Unable to contact AnsoftRSMService, Reason: ANS_CANNOT_CONNECTTO_ANSOFTRSMSERVICE
Testing Completed.
Error: Some tests have failed.

I need to simulate machines in maxwell

any tutorial for begainners like me?

klmnopq said:
I need to simulate machines in maxwell

any tutorial for begainners like me?

write me your e-mail in private message, i'll send them to you

Hey guys,

im using Maxwell 3D V14 in transient mode to simulate a pulse transformer. So imho it is useful to implement a frequency dependend magnetic permeability given in most datasheets of magnet materials. I found a how-to here:
http://www.psma.com/sites/default/f...ferrite-core-electronic-planar-transforme.pdf

But when I simulate a step response of a pulse transformer in this way the simulation does not converge very well. I think this is because of the fact that I haven't defined the permeability for up to the highest frequencies in the step. But unfortunately I get not more data from the datasheet. What does Maxwell if there are out of range data in a dataset?

Thanks in advance

homer

Hi all,

I'm a new user and i need some info on an error message i got while doing a busbar inductance simulation which says " Could not preserve critical nodes " Now where can I see in the software that shows these critical nodes so that I can fix it. Or may be in the meshing is parameters what would be the ideal settings.

I would thank anyone who can help me do a quick fix!
:)

Hi,
I am also new to Maxwell and I am trying to simulate my model in 3D. however I am getting this error:

There is an error in executing 'mesh3d'

even though I created a separate mesh for each item

thanks

Hy all!

I continued the torroid transformer simulation, but I discovered some weird things.
I measure:
-input power
-output power
-core loss
-solid loss
-standed loss
-standedR loss
I add these values but there is still have missing power.

To simplify the measurement I creat a simple O ring core and one primer coil.
The imput voltage is +/-100V square. The core is N87 ferrite adjusted B-H curve and core loss.
I attached the maxwell 15.0 file and a Excel file I calculated the power.
The comutate result is:
Pin: 3.483733733W
Pout: 0.002990193W (it is heat actuaally)
So where is my sweet 3.480743539W ? :D

Thanks!
BR.
Balint!

Attachments

• O core maxwell 15.0.zip
    54.7 KB · Views: 349
And here is the excel:

Attachments

• O core.xls
    96.5 KB · Views: 295

siva0707 said:
Hi gerbi..
i have done the modelling of three phase induction machine in RMxprt. i gave data's such as stator information, rotor information, winding information. when i export this to Maxwell 2D, i am not able to get the full model, its coming as only half model. how can i get the full model when exporting into maxwell 2d??

thnks
with regards
siva

Figured it out. Go to Maxwell 2D → Design Properties. Change the value in fractions from 2 (or as in my case 4) to 1. That's all. Good luck.

Regards
Sourav

Last edited:
Has anybody an anwer for me? Ref.
Hey guys,

im using Maxwell 3D V14 in transient mode to simulate a pulse transformer. So imho it is useful to implement a frequency dependend magnetic permeability given in most datasheets of magnet materials. I found a how-to here:
http://www.psma.com/sites/default/fi...transforme.pdf

But when I simulate a step response of a pulse transformer in this way the simulation does not converge very well. I think this is because of the fact that I haven't defined the permeability for up to the highest frequencies in the step. But unfortunately I get not more data from the datasheet. What does Maxwell if there are out of range data in a dataset?

Thanks in advance

homer
I tried exactly the way in the publication (page 11-14) but up to now the simulation does not converge.
My magnet material (Epcos N30) is defined for frequencies up to 4MHz. I now tried with a "slower" step with a rise time of 200ns. This should avoid frequencies above 4MHz but even with this approach the simulation doesn't work.

One problem is that Maxwell is not starting without a setted Core Loss Type ("Nonlinear assignment required...") so I setted this to Power Ferrite but setted the parameters zero. Unfortunately I have no parameters for that but I think the core losses must be included in the Magnetic loss tangent.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

homer

Coupling of elctrical circuit and magnetic circuit in ansys

hi guys..
i am doing analysis on 4-pole induction machines. i want to couple an electrical circuit with magnetic circuit in ansys. anybody having tutorials for that...basically am from mechanical background. i am struggling a little bit. so kindly help me for the same.

is it possible to do couple field analysis in ansoft maxwell ?

thanks
with regards
Siva

Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT)

Hi ..

hope you are all doing good..

i need a help...

currently am working in Ansoft Maxwell,s 2D.

I created a RMXPRT model for 3 phase induction machine. then i exported to MAXWELL2D design.

its a 4-pole 3 phase induction machine. the machine has 60 slots.
it has double layered winding.
the results of the winding currents looks like non-uniform. Phase A, Phase B and Phase C currents are not unique.

kindly give me some suggestions to get uniform winding currents.

Thanks
with Regards
SIVA

Attachments

• winding current.jpg
    winding current.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 862
Hi guys,
I'm working in Ansoft Maxwell 3D, Transient.
I want to simulate a sort of brushless motor: it's composed by only two coil, with the same excitation. My coil are 108 turns, with 6 layers (18 turn per layer). I have some questions:
1) Is Coil terminal of each coil set to 108 turn?
2) Are there differences in coil terminal setting between the coil of this example and a coil with the same turns and the different number of layers (obviously in this case the geometry is different)?
3) Do I have to create two winding or I can associate the same at the two coil terminals?
4) In Winding properties, how do I have to set the parameter "number of parallel branches"? What is it?
Thanks in advance

Sophie

Siva: What excitation do you have? Current or voltage source? External circuit?

Sophie: How are the two coils connected, Series or parallel?
There is a option in the coil terminal dialog asking for the number of turns: 108 turns.
Do this for both coils.
Make a winding and add the two coil terminals to this winding. Then specify the excitation for this winding, e.g 100*cos(2*pi*50*Time).

If the two windings are connected in parallel I think you must write 2 in the winding properties dialog box.

SirAskalot said:
Siva: What excitation do you have? Current or voltage source? External circuit?

Sophie: How are the two coils connected, Series or parallel?
There is a option in the coil terminal dialog asking for the number of turns: 108 turns.
Do this for both coils.
Make a winding and add the two coil terminals to this winding. Then specify the excitation for this winding, e.g 100*cos(2*pi*50*Time).

If the two windings are connected in parallel I think you must write 2 in the winding properties dialog box.

The two coil are connected in series.
Thank you

I have a problem in Maxwell 3D.
I tested a simple situation: I tried to calculated the magnetic field of a current loop.
In the center of the current loop, I expect the direction of the magnetic field parallel to the axis of the current loop, but in the simulation this doesn't happen (see in the picture). Why? What's wrong?

Thanks with regards
Sophie

Attachments

• Project1.zip
    24.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Magnetic field.jpg
    Magnetic field.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 771

Hi

Greetings to you all!

I got the three phase currents as a unique pattern with phase difference.

but i got the peak to peak current value is 9A only.

my configuration of the machine is
rated voltage 415V
rated power 27.75kW
Frequency 50Hz,
Rated Speed - 1470 rpm

i need to get peak to peak current value around 60A...

what should i need to do in the maxwell design?

thanks for your help in advance!

and one more thing also..

how to calculate the power of an induction machine when the total number of strands are reduced to 3 from 4 strands? The rated output power of an existing machine is 37kW which has 4 strands and 11 turns. now it is reduced to 3 strands and 11 turns. now what will be the output power for the same machine? rated voltage is 410V, 50 Hz freq. machine has 60 slots. (basically i am from mechanical engineering, but i am working in electromechanical interactions in induction machine)

Thanks
Siva

Last edited:
Dear friends
I am student and I have exam about ansoft maxwell 3D.
I should simulate 3 phase asynchronous motor in ansoft maxwell 3D and to make several magnetostatic analysis.
Can someone help me?
I am beginner, so the best help for me is one finished project.
Please someone send me .rar file...

I am designing a 2D model of a three-phase core-type transformer in ANSOFT MAXWELL 14.0. While doing so I have encountered a strange problem.

Start of the problem:-

While designing the transformer, I wanted to incorporate core losses. So, I did the following steps:-

Excitations -> Set Eddy Effects -> checked the various core sections in my model (because eddy current effects occur in the transformer core)

and also

Excitations -> Set Core Loss - > checked the various core sections in my model (because core loss effects occur in the transformer core)

Symptoms :-

Model simulated (using transient solution type) and then gives the following wrong results:

1) Line currents on the primary side (star-connected) are very high (about 10 times)

2) Secondary side (delta connected) phase currents lose their phase dependence, i.e. the phase currents are no more 120 degrees apart, they all are in phase now. However, the secondary line currents are Ok though.

Additional Information :-

If I do not consider eddy current and core loss effects, then the model simulates to give correct results.

Please provide me suggestions/hints/solutions to my problem - how to incorporate core losses correctly in my model.

Hi

Turn off eddy effect in core (turn it off in the windings as well), use only core loss calculations (based on core material loss curve P[W/kg] vs B [T] at single frequency). Set core conductivity to 0 (leave core material density, stacking factor, stacking direction unchanged - as for real core material).

Using eddy effect can give unrealistic results when done unwisely. Use eddy effect calculations only when you are considering induced losses in solid elements (tank, tank cover etc).. Applying it to windings or core (full scale model) would need very detailed design.

Last edited:
Thanks Gerbi for your response. Ok, I will shut down the settings for eddy-currents and concentrate only on the core loss settings.

So, I purchased this transformer from the manufacturer and at present I do not have the specified P (W/kg) vrs B (T). What I do have is a curve for Magnetizing inductance (Lm) VRS. Magnetizing current (Im).

Can that be helpful ?

What is the purposes of your simulation? How accurate loss calculations do you need?
Hysteresis curve don't do you any good in accurate calculation of core losses. But hysteresis losses (part of core losses) are proportional to the area under the hysteresis curve.

P(T) curves at 50/60 Hz you can find at many electrical steel manufacturers. E.g sura.se

Also, since you got the transformer, you can do some measurements and find the core losses.

Hi all

Please can you tell me how can I create equivalent circuit in MAXWELL 3D in version 15? Specially,where is "export matrix to look-up table using Equivalent Circuit Extractor" menu?

Thank you for our reply

gerbi said:
Hi

Turn off eddy effect in core (turn it off in the windings as well), use only core loss calculations (based on core material loss curve P[W/kg] vs B [T] at single frequency). Set core conductivity to 0 (leave core material density, stacking factor, stacking direction unchanged - as for real core material).

Using eddy effect can give unrealistic results when done unwisely. Use eddy effect calculations only when you are considering induced losses in solid elements (tank, tank cover etc).. Applying it to windings or core (full scale model) would need very detailed design.

Hello Gerbi,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I followed your steps. Actually, I created a new material. Firstly, I got a BH curve for hot-rolled low-carbon steel from the Sawhney machine design book and incorporated that into the material (since my transformer's material is hot-rolled low-carbon steel). Next up, I got the P (W/kg) versus B (T) for that material from the same book and incorporated it as well. I set the material density, bulk conductivity etc to optimum values.

The transformer model now simulates and gives correct results.

Thanks,
Shantanav

SirAskalot said:
What is the purposes of your simulation? How accurate loss calculations do you need?
Hysteresis curve don't do you any good in accurate calculation of core losses. But hysteresis losses (part of core losses) are proportional to the area under the hysteresis curve.

P(T) curves at 50/60 Hz you can find at many electrical steel manufacturers. E.g sura.se

Also, since you got the transformer, you can do some measurements and find the core losses.

Hello Sir Askalot,

Purpose of my simulation - Trying to simulate the transformer under healthy condition and get current waveforms as close as possible to my actual lab-transformer. So, I am trying to model the core as similar as possible to the actual specimen I have.

Yes, I incorporated the P versus B curve for my core material and the model simulates now.

Shantanav

hello guys,
i want to model a switched reluctance motor in ansoft maxwell with double layered winding, but i am not being able to find the option for layers of winding. please help me with a solution for it if anyone is dealing with switched reluctance motor in ansoft maxwell.thanks
Firdausa

In Maxwell, most of time you don't draw the real winding (turns, layers and so on). You draw a 3D object and specify the cross section as stranded and define how many turns.

firdausa said:
hello guys,
i want to model a switched reluctance motor in ansoft maxwell with double layered winding, but i am not being able to find the option for layers of winding. please help me with a solution for it if anyone is dealing with switched reluctance motor in ansoft maxwell.

thanks
Firdausa

Help with genetic algorythm

Hi everbody,

I have created project for my thesis and everything is already set up.The problem is that my Maxwell version sent me back message error about "setting up first generation" when i start genetic algorithm in optimetrics analysis. I hear that can be bug. So I want to ask for help, I sent you my project,you try to run it on your machine and sent me result back with all project. Please,Is here someone who would do it?

Thank a lot.

Hello,

I have worked a good deal with Magnetostatic solutions in Maxwell; however, I now have to design an electromagnetic system that requires a transient setup. I have a single coil electromagnet with a ferrite core that I need to operate at a frequency of 50 kHz. I set up the meshes, including the skin depth, as well as an external circuit with a sinusoidal current source. My solution time step is therefore 1e-6 and the stop time is 1e-4. I specified that I want the field values saved at the same points by adding them to the list under 'Save Fields', but after I run the simulation, I do not see how to view these results. Does anyone know the best way to view the fields calculated at these time steps?

Thanks,

Arielle

Hi Arielle,

after the solution is complete (for a specific time moment) it can be viewed by double clicking on "Time" button in your main window (in left bottom corner, just under your model or Viev/Set Solution Context). There you can choose solution to view (and when you will select one you can update your Fields Overlays to this specific time moment).

<h2>1. What is Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?</h2><p>Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) is a software package developed by ANSYS Inc. that is used for electromagnetic field simulation. It allows users to analyze and design various electrical and electronic systems, such as motors, transformers, and sensors.</p><h2>2. How do I install Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?</h2><p>To install Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT), you will need to purchase a license from ANSYS Inc. Once you have the license, you can download the software from their website and follow the installation instructions provided. Make sure your computer meets the system requirements before installing.</p><h2>3. What are the key features of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?</h2><p>Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) has many features that make it a powerful tool for electromagnetic field simulation. Some of the key features include 3D modeling capabilities, advanced material properties, automatic meshing, and a variety of solvers for different types of simulations.</p><h2>4. Can I import CAD files into Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?</h2><p>Yes, Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) supports the import of CAD files in various formats, such as STEP, IGES, and SAT. This allows users to easily import their existing designs into the software for further analysis and optimization.</p><h2>5. Is there a free trial version of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) available?</h2><p>Yes, ANSYS Inc. offers a free trial version of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) for a limited period of time. This allows users to test out the software and its features before making a purchase. You can download the trial version from their website and request a trial license key.</p>

1. What is Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?

Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) is a software package developed by ANSYS Inc. that is used for electromagnetic field simulation. It allows users to analyze and design various electrical and electronic systems, such as motors, transformers, and sensors.

2. How do I install Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?

To install Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT), you will need to purchase a license from ANSYS Inc. Once you have the license, you can download the software from their website and follow the installation instructions provided. Make sure your computer meets the system requirements before installing.

3. What are the key features of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?

Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) has many features that make it a powerful tool for electromagnetic field simulation. Some of the key features include 3D modeling capabilities, advanced material properties, automatic meshing, and a variety of solvers for different types of simulations.

4. Can I import CAD files into Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?

Yes, Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) supports the import of CAD files in various formats, such as STEP, IGES, and SAT. This allows users to easily import their existing designs into the software for further analysis and optimization.

5. Is there a free trial version of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) available?

Yes, ANSYS Inc. offers a free trial version of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) for a limited period of time. This allows users to test out the software and its features before making a purchase. You can download the trial version from their website and request a trial license key.