Help regarding application of solar in conv. electric ckt

In summary, Dave is looking for advice on how to combine a solar PV system with a conventional electric supply. He correctly states that the PV panel produces DC, and will require an inverter to convert it to AC. He does not provide a diagram or other specific information, so it is difficult to provide much more specific advice.
pavis1313
urgent help regarding application of solar in conv. electric ckt

hi there engg/experts

I am having a project of applying 5 Kw photovoltaic along with conventional electric supply.
The photovoltaic panel would be able to run 35-40 fans and cfls.
The problem which i am facing is to club both the supplies together on the the same circuit without making much changes in the original electric circuit so as to reduce the costing of this project.
eagerly waitng for your reply...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
pavis1313, Welcome here to Physics Forums!

A "5 KV photovoltaic" system seems unusually high. Did you really mean FIVE THOUSAND VOLTS? What exact voltage is the conventional electric supply you want to apply the PV system to? If you could post a block diagram of your system plan we could possibly make some suggestions. Please label all the blocks and all voltages on the diagram for clarity. Thank you.

he probbably meant to say 5kVA (5kW)

lets wait and see ;)

Dave

hi guys
i am sorry for posting wrong requirement
i have corrected it
please provide ur valuable guidance for this

pavis1313, thanks for the clarification: Your PV panel has a 5KW output capacity. What is the voltage and frequency of the "conventional electric supply"? What is the input voltage and power requirement of the fans? What are cfls and what voltage/power do they need?

If the conventional electric supply is 50 or 60 Hertz AC (Alternating Current) you cannot connect the PV panel directly. The PV panel outputs DC (Direct Current). I can only guess because you've not given a basic block diagram. Probably you'll need an Inverter to convert the DC from the PV panel to AC. Without knowing your system setup or voltage/power requirements few other reasonable useful suggestions can be offered.

thanks for your advice
the voltage and frequency of conventonalsupply is 230V/50 Hz
the fans are of 80 watt and the cfls are of 21 watt.
I know that i would be usind an inverter and charge controller to convert dc generated from solar to ac.
But my main question is whether there is and device or equipment that can make us use both the supplies together a kind of bidirectional device that works automatically and manages both the voltages.

What is solar energy and how does it work in a conventional electric circuit?

Solar energy is a renewable source of energy that is harnessed from the sun's radiation. In a conventional electric circuit, solar energy is converted into electrical energy through the use of solar panels. These panels contain photovoltaic cells that absorb sunlight and convert it into direct current (DC) electricity.

How can I determine the size of the solar system needed for my electric circuit?

The size of the solar system needed depends on several factors such as the energy needs of the electric circuit, the location and positioning of the solar panels, and the amount of sunlight available. It is best to consult with a professional to accurately determine the size of the solar system needed for your specific electric circuit.

Can solar energy be used to power all types of electric circuits?

Yes, solar energy can be used to power various types of electric circuits ranging from small household appliances to large industrial systems. However, the size and type of solar system needed may vary depending on the energy demand and usage of the circuit.

How does solar energy affect the performance and efficiency of a conventional electric circuit?

Solar energy can positively impact the performance and efficiency of a conventional electric circuit by reducing its dependence on traditional energy sources and lowering overall energy costs. However, proper installation and maintenance of the solar system are crucial to ensure maximum efficiency.

Are there any government incentives or subsidies for installing solar in a conventional electric circuit?

Yes, many governments offer incentives and subsidies for installing solar in conventional electric circuits as a way to promote renewable energy usage. These incentives can include tax credits, rebates, and grants. It is important to research and understand the incentives available in your area before installing a solar system.