Summation question

by joshmccraney
Tags: summation
Share this thread:
joshmccraney
Jan20-14, 06:37 PM
P: 346
hey pf!

can someone explain to me what to do if presented with an equation like this: [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}A_i=i[/tex]
is this identical to stating [itex]A_i=i[/itex]? either way, can you please explain.

thanks!

josh
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Mark44
Jan20-14, 06:44 PM
Mentor
P: 21,397
Quote Quote by joshmccraney View Post
hey pf!

can someone explain to me what to do if presented with an equation like this: [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}A_i=i[/tex]
is this identical to stating [itex]A_i=i[/itex]? either way, can you please explain.

thanks!

josh
It doesn't make much sense to me. On the left side, i is an index variable that takes on the values 1, 2, 3, ..., n, so I have no idea what it means on the right side.

Where did you see this? If it's from a textbook, can you post a picture?
AlephZero
Jan20-14, 08:23 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,280
Just taking it at face value, it means
##A_1 + A_2 + \cdots + A_n = i##

The ##i## in the sum is a "bound variable" or "dummy variable". You could replace it by anything else (except ##n##) without changing the meaning. The ##i## on the right hand side means ##i##.

But using ##i## twice in one equation like that is horrible, as Mark44 said. It would have been more literate to write something like
$$\sum_{k=1}^n A_k = i$$

joshmccraney
Jan20-14, 08:29 PM
P: 346
Summation question

yea, i was trying to generalize for determining the fourier coefficients. i have a link here on pf: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=733877
my question there has been answered, but if you're curious to this type of problem, there's the link.

Register to reply