Register to reply

Solving for a variable help :)

by MathiasArendru
Tags: solving, variable
Share this thread:
MathiasArendru
Jul31-14, 05:35 PM
P: 12
Hey guys, this is a little silly question but it bothers me. Im not a math genius (yet i hope) and im still in elementary school so theres alot to learn. But i just read about the lorenz factor in this example he basically used pythagoras of this light clock in a train, so it started of as

[tex](ct)^2 = (cx)^2 + (vt)^2[/tex]

and he derived it into:

[tex]t = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

I would have posted an attemp to solve it but i really just dont know how to crack it and get started

Pleeeaaase help it would be really nice :D
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
mfb
Jul31-14, 06:03 PM
Mentor
P: 12,037
That is nothing you can derive (at least not in the way you ask for here), that is a definition of γ.
MathiasArendru
Jul31-14, 06:18 PM
right its me god im stupid! he solved for t not gamma dont really know what went through my head while i wrote it. i corrected it in the post now

micromass
Jul31-14, 06:23 PM
Mentor
P: 18,346
Solving for a variable help :)

OK, I'll help you get started: bring all terms which have a ##t## to one side of the equation and the other terms on the other side. Isolate ##t^2## so you have ##t^2 = \text{something}##. Then take roots.
MathiasArendru
Jul31-14, 06:35 PM
ok ill try:

[itex]c^2t^2 = c^2x^2 + v^2t^2[/itex]
[itex]t^2 = \frac{c^2x^2 + v^2t^2}{c^2}[/itex]
Dividing both sides by t^2
[itex]1 = \frac{c^2x^2 + v^2t^2}{c^2t^2}[/itex]

im stuck... lol
normally i dont really have trouble when solving for variables but this one irritates me.. can i have another hint ? :)
micromass
Jul31-14, 06:47 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by MathiasArendru View Post
ok ill try:

[itex]c^2t^2 = c^2x^2 + v^2t^2[/itex]
[itex]t^2 = \frac{c^2x^2 + v^2t^2}{c^2}[/itex]
I can see a ##t^2## on the LHS and on the RHS. The idea is to have all occurences of ##t^2## on the LHS.
MathiasArendru
Jul31-14, 07:05 PM
Exacly thats the though part, because normally i would just divide out the t^2 but that wont help in this example as it would leave me with a 1 on the LHS.. and that wouldnt help much,, is there some mechanism or method that i am missing that could solve this? i feel like theres something i havent learned that could allow this to be solved.. or is it just me thats blind?
micromass
Jul31-14, 07:08 PM
Mentor
Exacly thats the though part, because normally i would just divide out the t^2 but that wont help in this example as it would leave me with a 1 on the LHS.. and that wouldnt help much,, is there some mechanism or method that i am missing that could solve this? i feel like theres something i havent learned that could allow this to be solved.. or is it just me thats blind?
If you have ##2x^2 = 5 - 3x^2##, can you solve that? You just need to do the same thing here. Isolate ##x##.
MathiasArendru
Jul31-14, 07:17 PM
Yea no problem but there i can just add 3x^2 to both sides, in my example its [itex]v^2t^2[/itex] so i cant do the same thing here?
Nugatory
Jul31-14, 08:04 PM
Mentor
P: 3,926
Yea no problem but there i can just add 3x^2 to both sides, in my example its [itex]v^2t^2[/itex] so i cant do the same thing here?
You could try subtracting ##v^2t^2## from both sides.
Borek
Aug1-14, 02:33 AM
Admin
P: 23,714
Why do you think v2 is different from 3?

Register to reply