Solving y'' + 5y' = 400sin(5t)+250cos(5t) with Intial Conditions

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditions
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to the equation y'' + 5y' = 400sin(5 t) + 250cos(5 t) with initial conditions y(0) = 8 and y'(0) = 8. The initial misunderstanding was that the solution was thought to only consist of the particular solution, but it was later realized that the solution also needed to include the homogeneous part. After revising the solution and applying the initial conditions, there was still some confusion and mistakes made. The correct approach was to write the total solution as y=y_h+y_p and then apply the initial conditions to the total answer.
mr_coffee
This one got me alittle discombobulated. Initiallly I thought they wanted me to find a particular solution, which I did. But then later I saw it supplied to intial conditions. So I guessed y = Asin(5t)+Bcos(5t) then took derivatives, and applied the intial conditions but also was wrong. Here is the question:

Find the solution of
y'' + 5y' = 400sin(5 t) + 250cos(5 t)
with y(0) = 8 and y'(0) = 8 .
y =

Here is my work:
http://suprfile.com/src/1/1voo2y/lastscan.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the solution of the homogenous part?

y= (8/5)sin(5t)+ 8 cos(5t) is NOT the general solution to the equation. You've left out the solution to the homogeneous part.

mr_coffee, remember that it is [itex]y=y_h+y_p[/itex].

O yeah i don't know what i was thinking, well I found the homogenous equation added it to the paricular, but still got it wrong:

For the homogenous i put:
y = A + Be^(-5t)
because the other r is 0, e^0 =1.

8 = y(0) = A+Be^(-5t);
8 = A+B;

8=y'(0) = -5Be^(-5t);
8 = -5B;
B = -8/5;

A = 8+8/5 = 48/5;

So for my answer i put:
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/f7/03fa30705408dc77e802fec766ed1f1.png

Any ideas wehre i f'ed this one/

The inital conditions apply to the total answer, i.e. write down [itex]y=y_h+y_p[/itex] and then apply the IC.

I managed to not do it right again, i did what you said correctly i think...
here is my work:
http://suprfile.com/src/1/24jhk0/lastscan.jpg
Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of solving y'' + 5y' = 400sin(5t)+250cos(5t) with initial conditions?

The purpose of solving this equation is to determine the specific function y(t) that satisfies the given differential equation, along with the given initial conditions. This will allow us to understand the behavior of the system described by the equation, and make predictions for future values of y(t).

2. What are the initial conditions for this differential equation?

The initial conditions for this differential equation include the value of y at t=0 (i.e. y(0)), as well as the value of y' at t=0 (i.e. y'(0)). These initial conditions are necessary to find the unique solution to the equation.

3. What is the process for solving this differential equation with initial conditions?

The process for solving this differential equation with initial conditions involves finding the general solution to the equation, then using the initial conditions to determine the specific values of any arbitrary constants in the solution. This will result in a unique solution that satisfies both the equation and the initial conditions.

4. Can this differential equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this differential equation can be solved analytically by using techniques such as separation of variables, integration, and solving for arbitrary constants. However, in some cases, it may be easier to solve numerically using computer software.

5. What are the applications of solving differential equations with initial conditions?

Solving differential equations with initial conditions has many real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of objects under the influence of forces, modeling population growth, and analyzing electrical circuits. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, and economics.