Proving Hermitian Transformations: A Simple Approach

In summary, The problem discusses defining a complex linear space T in L(V,V) to be Hermitian if the complex inner product of <Tv,v> is equal to <v,Tv> for all v in V. The conversation then explores how to show that T is Hermitian if and only if <Tv,w> is equal to <v,Tw> for all v,w in V. This is done by applying the definition to both v+w and v+iw and simplifying the resulting equations. The hint suggests adding the two results and simplifying by 2.
eridanus
This is the problem:

Let T be a complex linear space with a complex inner product <.,.>. Define T in L(V,V) to be Hermitian if <Tv,v> = <v,Tv> for all v in V.
Show that T is Hermitian iff <Tv,w> = <v,Tw> for all v,w in V [Hint: apply the definition to v+w and to v+iw].

So this was my thought process:
<T(v+w),v+w> = <v+w,T(v+w)>
<Tv+Tw,v+w> = <v+w,Tv+Tw>
<Tv,v> + <Tv,w> + <Tw,v> + <Tw,w> = <v,Tv> + <v,Tw> + <w,Tv> + <w,Tw>
And the terms with the same variables cancel out by definition so this leaves
<Tv,w> + <Tw,v> = <v,Tw> + <w,Tv>
which doesn't really help.

How do I go about doing this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Follow the entire hint.

AKG said:
Follow the entire hint.
I feel really dumb for asking this, but what? Simultaneously? I'm so confused

eridanus said:
I feel really dumb for asking this, but what? Simultaneously? I'm so confused

I think what he's getting at is to do the "v+iw" part and compare the two answers.

-Dan

Simply add the 2 results and then simplify by 2.

Daniel.

1. What is a Hermitian transformation?

A Hermitian transformation is a mathematical operation that maps a complex vector space to itself, while preserving certain properties. These properties include orthogonality and length preservation.

2. What is the difference between a Hermitian transformation and a unitary transformation?

A unitary transformation is a special case of a Hermitian transformation, where the transformation preserves both orthogonality and length. In other words, a unitary transformation is a Hermitian transformation with an additional constraint that the transformation is also invertible.

3. How is a Hermitian transformation related to complex numbers?

A Hermitian transformation is a linear transformation that is defined on a complex vector space. This means that the input and output vectors can contain complex numbers, and the transformation will still preserve the properties of orthogonality and length.

4. What are some examples of Hermitian transformations?

Some common examples of Hermitian transformations include the Fourier transform, the discrete Fourier transform, and the discrete cosine transform. These transformations are commonly used in signal processing and image processing applications.

5. How is a Hermitian transformation used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Hermitian transformations play a crucial role in describing the evolution of quantum states. They are used to represent physical observables, such as position and momentum, and their corresponding operators are Hermitian. This allows for the prediction of measurement outcomes in quantum systems.