Calculating Shock imparted by an Impact

In summary, the conversation discusses the design and testing of a piece of test equipment to be mounted on a small rocket for meteorological purposes. The rocket team has mandated a series of tests that the equipment must pass, including severe shock tests and a drop test onto a concrete floor. The designer is concerned about the necessity and cost of the drop test, and is unsure of how to mathematically prove that the maximum shock from a drop is less than the shock experienced during testing. They plan to use the impact force equation to calculate force, but are unsure about the elasticity and deformation of the equipment and floor.
Panda
I am designing a piece of test equipment that will be mounted onto a
small rocket for meteorological testing.

The people running the rocket side have mandated a series of tests that
all test equipment must pass before being fitted.

One set of tests are pretty severe shock tests representative of the
rockets launch that I am happy to have carried out.

Another test is to prove that some klutz in the assembly dept. can drop
the equipment onto a concrete floor whilst assembling the rocket.

I have a gut feeling that the shock experienced by dropping the unit
from 1m is much less than the 50g shock experienced by being launched and don't want to pay some third party to carry out pointless tests when I can spend the money on Beer.

My problem is how to I prove mathematically that the maximum shock
experienced by dropping the unit onto a flat surface is less than the
shocks experienced during shock testing?

I can calculate the impact velocity and force, but don't know how to estimate the deformation of the concrete floor or the unit. (I was going to estimate the unit as being a solid lump of the Al casing material to give me a worst case figure).

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is shock imparted by an impact?

Shock imparted by an impact is the sudden and intense force that is transferred to an object when it is struck by another object. This force can cause structural damage, deformation, and even failure of the impacted object.

How is shock imparted by an impact calculated?

The calculation of shock imparted by an impact involves determining the kinetic energy of the impacting object and the impact duration. This can be done using the equation E=1/2mv^2, where E is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object. The impact duration is the time it takes for the impacting object to come to a complete stop after the impact.

What factors affect shock imparted by an impact?

The magnitude of shock imparted by an impact is affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the impacting object, the angle of impact, the material properties of the impacted object, and the impact duration. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and surface conditions can also have an impact on the shock.

Why is it important to calculate shock imparted by an impact?

Calculating shock imparted by an impact is important for a variety of reasons. It helps in designing and testing structures and materials to ensure they can withstand potential impacts. It also helps in predicting the extent of damage that an impact may cause and determining safety measures to minimize the impact.

How can shock imparted by an impact be reduced?

Shock imparted by an impact can be reduced by implementing measures such as cushioning materials, shock absorbers, and structural reinforcements. The angle and velocity of impact can also be adjusted to reduce the force of impact. Additionally, using materials with higher strength and impact resistance can help reduce the effects of shock imparted by an impact.