Having trouble with a simple question

• Thread starter MalusIgnis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving three blocks on a horizontal, frictionless surface. A force of 18N is applied to one of the blocks, and the goal is to find the acceleration of the blocks, the net force on each block, and the magnitudes of the contact forces between them. The conversation also provides hints on how to approach the problem, including treating the blocks as one object and using the formula a = F/m to find the acceleration. The conversation also mentions that the force on block 2 and 3 can be found by using the mass of the other blocks in the formula. The speaker expresses gratitude for the help and mentions that they may have more questions in the future.
MalusIgnis
Hi, I'm sure this will be considered a pretty stupid question. It's a simple physics problem, but I'm really not very good at physics :(

Anyway, here's the question:
Three blocks (m1, m2, and m3) are on a horizontal frictionless surface. A force of 18N is applied to the m1 block. These blocks are touching by the way...

What happens when this force acts on m1?
I need to find the acceleration of the three blocks, the net force on each block, and the magnitudes of the "contact forces" between the blocks.

I don't even know where to start... Is anyone interested in giving me some assistance? I don't want the question to just be answered, just some hints of where to go from here would be appreciated.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
If you push on this "train" of blocks, you can be certain that they all accelerate at the same rate, OK? That is, all blocks move together as one.

Since they all act as one, treat them as one object to find the acceleration: a = F/m , where m is the total mass and F is the force of your push.

Now you have the acceleration. Now you look at the force on block 2. What pushes on block 2? Block one does! HOw much force? same formula, except now its the force on block 2 and the mass of blocks 2 & 3 (the mass of block one does not count now, because this the is object doing the pushing).

Look at block 3 now. same accelleration. mass of block 3. what force?

thanks for replying =) I think I figured it out actually...
rest assured, I"ll have many more questions in the future =)

1. What causes difficulty in answering a simple question?

There can be several reasons for having trouble with a simple question. It could be due to lack of understanding of the question, confusion, or feeling overwhelmed by the question.

2. How can I improve my ability to answer simple questions?

To improve your ability to answer simple questions, you can practice active listening, clarify any doubts, and break down complex questions into smaller parts to better understand them.

3. Is it normal to struggle with simple questions?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with simple questions. It is a common phenomenon, and it does not mean that you are unintelligent. It may just require more thought and effort to answer.

4. What are some tips for answering simple questions effectively?

Some tips for answering simple questions effectively include taking your time to understand the question, focusing on the main idea, providing a concise and clear answer, and using examples to support your answer.

5. How can I overcome my fear of not being able to answer simple questions?

You can overcome your fear of not being able to answer simple questions by practicing active listening, building your knowledge on the subject matter, and seeking clarification when needed. Remember, it is okay to not know the answer to every question, and it is an opportunity to learn and improve.